Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 07:56 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,881,375 times

Advertisements

Please do not go out on the roads today. It may not be against the law, but driving on a day like today is pretty reckless, IMO. I wish it was mandatory that all non-emergency businesses close so that people don't go out on the roads unless they absolutely have to. I can't believe Fair Oaks Mall is opening. Who needs to go out shopping for a tv today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 04:54 PM

Bumping because questions about reckless driving have come up again.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:02 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,193,735 times
If the mods would make it sticky as I've suggested it would stay visible for all to see.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
If the mods would make it sticky as I've suggested it would stay visible for all to see.
The problem is there are so many great threads that should be stickies. The Alternate Routes Thread, the Master list of Photo Threads, and the What's Going On In Nova This Week thread are three that come to mind; I'm sure there are many others. If we made all those threads stickies there would be no room for the daily threads on the first page.

Besides, it's not that hard to bump this thread whenever the subject comes up.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:58 PM

4 posts, read 18,782 times
Hey guys, it seems you all have a lot of experience with reckless charges- I've been online so much because I'm feeling really stressed out about this. The officer pulled me over at 4am on I-81 (going from Tech to NOVA)- My girlfriend and I had a fight and she broke up with me and I acted pretty irrationally and just started heading to her house Tuesday morning. Driving on I-81 was a nightmare because half and hour in a truck swerves right into my lane just before I was about to pass it (this was my first time driving on 81 at night, I swear every other vehicle was a truck). I ended up hitting it pretty hard when I went to pass the truck after it corrected itself. I mean... after that I was pretty scared and made a habit of avoiding the general side and back vicinity of a truck and I generally sped pretty fast to stay away from the side... better speed than get run off the road right? Well... ends up an officer got me as I was passing a truck, I accelerated until I was past the truck (I passed on the left)- it was going around the high 60's to 70 mph. Yeah, so he got me at 84/65, I was pretty compliant and polite- responding with yes sirs- I had been pulled over once before when I was 17 (doing 41/25) and took a mandated D.D course (did it clear once I turned 18?). I hadn't been read my Miranda rights, but I don't think that would help any. I don't really know what to do- I'm currently part of a school organization that has a fairly strict code of conduct (applying to the program required that we didn't have a student, criminal, or moving violation record). Any chance I could get this dropped (completely) in light of the fact that truck drivers at night swerve a lot because they fall asleep on the wheel? This was in Shenandoah County btw, my court date is June 22nd.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2poke View Post
Hey guys, it seems you all have a lot of experience with reckless charges- I've been online so much because I'm feeling really stressed out about this. The officer pulled me over at 4am on I-81 (going from Tech to NOVA)- My girlfriend and I had a fight and she broke up with me and I acted pretty irrationally and just started heading to her house Tuesday morning. Driving on I-81 was a nightmare because half and hour in a truck swerves right into my lane just before I was about to pass it (this was my first time driving on 81 at night, I swear every other vehicle was a truck). I ended up hitting it pretty hard when I went to pass the truck after it corrected itself. I mean... after that I was pretty scared and made a habit of avoiding the general side and back vicinity of a truck and I generally sped pretty fast to stay away from the side... better speed than get run off the road right? Well... ends up an officer got me as I was passing a truck, I accelerated until I was past the truck (I passed on the left)- it was going around the high 60's to 70 mph. Yeah, so he got me at 84/65, I was pretty compliant and polite- responding with yes sirs- I had been pulled over once before when I was 17 (doing 41/25) and took a mandated D.D course (did it clear once I turned 18?). I hadn't been read my Miranda rights, but I don't think that would help any. I don't really know what to do- I'm currently part of a school organization that has a fairly strict code of conduct (applying to the program required that we didn't have a student, criminal, or moving violation record). Any chance I could get this dropped (completely) in light of the fact that truck drivers at night swerve a lot because they fall asleep on the wheel? This was in Shenandoah County btw, my court date is June 22nd.

Sorry but this is very hard to follow. First off. Miranda warnings are never needed in a case like this. Secondly. Getting this dropped outright will be very difficult. If you want this to happen you need to walk out right now and hire a lawyer as it's your best chance. See what they can do. Otherwise you can go to court and ask for a reduction to speeding or improper driving and I'll bet you'll get the deal. If not then ask for a continuance so you can hire a lawyer if you want.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRUSTRATED18 View Post
I got into a similar thing and I was wondering. First of all I was driving and lost control of my car and flipped twice into a median in VA on highway 181. They didnt give me a ticket there, but they gave me a paper to appear in court on the 22nd of this month. I just turned 19 this month and Im not sure of what to expect or what I can do to reduce the punishment. Im also in the army, so if theres anything you can help me with, please let me know.
I feel your pain frustrated. My son is 18 and a freshman at George Mason. We did not send him to school with a car, yet he somehow managed to borrow a car from a friend. While transiting a curved on-ramp he said his phone fell out of his lap (please don't beat me over the head with the phone), he looked down to see what fell and when he looked up he was off the road a bit, overcompensated, lost control and rolled the car 2x. Thank goodness he wasn't hurt and thank god he didn't hurt somebody else.

We covered the insurance for the wrecked car and now we get to go to Fairfax traffic court. My son was written for reckless driving and the officer told him it would probably get knocked down to "failure to control?" We can't afford a lawyer as I am already collecting aluminum and giving blood weekly to keep him in school. He has no priors and I will probably have him take a driving school prior to going to court. Anybody got any insight? I appreciate all of the previous posts and have read them all. I worked for Uncle Sam as a criminal investigator for many years and it's been a while since I have been to court. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:18 PM

4 posts, read 18,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Sorry but this is very hard to follow. First off. Miranda warnings are never needed in a case like this. Secondly. Getting this dropped outright will be very difficult. If you want this to happen you need to walk out right now and hire a lawyer as it's your best chance. See what they can do. Otherwise you can go to court and ask for a reduction to speeding or improper driving and I'll bet you'll get the deal. If not then ask for a continuance so you can hire a lawyer if you want.
This situation has been really stressing me out and I've been reading around a lot. I was wondering, if I do go to court, what should I expect when I'm trying to get a reduction? Is there a certain point where I would talk to the officer or the prosecuting attorney before going to trial? Or do I end up pleading guilty or no contest in front of the judge and then ask for a reduction? If I do plead guilty does that mean I no longer have the right to a continuance (I feel like it's common sense for this one)? Sorry I have so many questions.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:37 PM

6 posts, read 147,444 times
To all those who have been given reckless driving tickets in virginia: Please hire a lawyer. The lawyer will charge $500-$750, and its worth it. If you can't afford that much money, explain your situation to the lawyer and he may reduce the price. Getting a criminal record is not worth $750.

To the poster who is donating blood to keep his son in school: Tell your son to get a part-time job after school.. and pay for the lawyer.. working extra for a month is not gonna hurt him.. but the criminal record will.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushant View Post
To all those who have been given reckless driving tickets in virginia: Please hire a lawyer. The lawyer will charge $500-$750, and its worth it. If you can't afford that much money, explain your situation to the lawyer and he may reduce the price. Getting a criminal record is not worth $750.

To the poster who is donating blood to keep his son in school: Tell your son to get a part-time job after school.. and pay for the lawyer.. working extra for a month is not gonna hurt him.. but the criminal record will.
Damn you people are hard headed. I have posted numerous times that reckless driving is not reported as a criminal offense. It is a DRIVING record conviction only.

I would hire a lawyer only if I intended to fight the charge. This from 30 years experience in the court system as a police officer. Prosecutors, police officers, lawyers all want to get out of court in a reasonable amount of time. Go in and ask to speak to the prosecutor before the court starts. Sometimes you can't due to the large number of lawyers and police officers they need to speak with first. But the judges usually release them into the halls to complete their deal making.

Do not plead guilty to RD then ask for lenience. The judge may reduce it to improper but you're taking a chance. Get the deal ahead of time and if you can't then you may need to ask for the continuance to hire that lawyer. If they are not willing to deal with you then they believe it's a really bad RD case. Once you plead guilty then you are stuck. You'll have to appeal to circuit court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia