Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 12:11 PM

94 posts, read 176,933 times

Advertisements

This is tame compared to what is above, but I got ticketed for "driving in the shoulder" for briefly pulling through an empty parking lane that becomes a turn lane when making a right. There is even a law that states you must go all the way right when making a right turn if you can do so. The judge didn't care about that or my flawless record and tripled my fine for showing up to traffic court. My advice if you get a fx co minor infraction: Mail it in, it isn't worth your time to go into fairfax to pay more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 03:02 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeckFresh View Post
Hello everyone, new member here. I wanted to see if anyone has had any experiences reducing their reckless driving charge with a lawyer. I was cited at going 71 in a 45 zone. During the time, I was driving my sister from Charlottesville, Virginia to our grandmother's funeral in Northern Virginia. While I was on a stretch of route 29 that had a 60 mph speed limit, it changed to a 45 zone without me noticing. This happened in Fauquier county. I was very focused on trying to attend our grandmother's funeral on time and sincerely regret speeding. My driving record is +4

I have never gotten a speeding ticket before. However, I was involved in a very minor accident several years ago and was cited for "following too closely" because I rear-ended a car when it abruptly stopped in front of me. I was 19 at the time and attended traffic school because of a mandate saying anyone under 20 years old had to attend traffic school for a traffic citation.

Again, I am deeply remorseful and I am really trying to not have a misdemeanor added to my record due to a mistake I made in my moment of grief. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
Yes, they have had success with a lawyer. Even the earlier post on the same page describes an example. Wish this thread would close and be a sticky for all first time posters. Every possible traffic violation has been asked, just have to read thru the 80 pages. How is this unique to Nova?

Old 03-30-2014, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,966 times
Default Got a ticket for speeding 2 months ago, no information found online or through court?

Hi - I got a 80+ reckless ticket that was reduced to regular speeding on the spot in FFX in early February. My roommate got a similar ticket a couple weeks after me and his information showed up online within a week. I still cannot find my ticket information through either the Fairfax General Court docket system, or via the clerk at the court.

What does this mean? Could it have "slipped through the cracks"? I plan on showing up in court but I don't know if I should get my hopes up that I won't be named on the date/time of my summons.

Could the LEO show up with my ticket and - despite there being no record otherwise - still have my charges pressed?

Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
I would not presume that they've forgotten about you. They handle such a massive load of paperwork on a daily basis. I'll wager your name will be on the docket but I guess you can always hope. Best show up or pre pay.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,759 times
I know this situation is all over this thread; however, I was pulled over in Franklin County, VA (Southern VA not NoVa), for 84/55. I received a court date for reckless driving. I'm getting my speedometer checked to see if there is any chance that I can prove semi ignorance to the extent that I was speeding. I did obviously know that I was speeding, but I didn't think it was quite that fast. I had been driving solo for about 6 hours at that point and I was getting tired and so ready to get to my destination.

This is my first ticket ever, and I have been driving for about 4 years. I called the number on my court summons and they said that the "Franklin County Judge thinks you should know how to drive and therefore a driving class wouldn't impact my outcome". I'm now trying to decide if I should get a lawyer. I'm a full time student with two jobs, but there is no way I can afford a 2,500 fine and 6 points.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Old 04-01-2014, 01:57 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorekt View Post
I know this situation is all over this thread; however, I was pulled over in Franklin County, VA (Southern VA not NoVa), for 84/55. I received a court date for reckless driving. I'm getting my speedometer checked to see if there is any chance that I can prove semi ignorance to the extent that I was speeding. I did obviously know that I was speeding, but I didn't think it was quite that fast. I had been driving solo for about 6 hours at that point and I was getting tired and so ready to get to my destination.

This is my first ticket ever, and I have been driving for about 4 years. I called the number on my court summons and they said that the "Franklin County Judge thinks you should know how to drive and therefore a driving class wouldn't impact my outcome". I'm now trying to decide if I should get a lawyer. I'm a full time student with two jobs, but there is no way I can afford a 2,500 fine and 6 points.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
Get a lawyer. In that part of the state, you can probably find one for a fairly low price. When I got my 84 in a 70 in Mecklenburg County, I found a lawyer for $250 who got my ticket reduced to defective equipment and I didn't even have to show up in court.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:40 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
Here's a tidbit that may be of interest to our reckless drivers.

I overheard a couple of Sheriff's deputies at a Fairfax County vehicle maintenance facility talking about the MSNBC show, "Lockup, Extended Stay" which has been filming episodes of the show at the Fairfax Hilton (aka the Adult Detention Center).

Don't know when these episodes will air, but they should give a good glimpse at the accommodations offered at the ADC.

These shows will be a must-see for those thinking about joining the "100 mph Club"!

Old 04-02-2014, 03:14 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Here's a tidbit that may be of interest to our reckless drivers.

I overheard a couple of Sheriff's deputies at a Fairfax County vehicle maintenance facility talking about the MSNBC show, "Lockup, Extended Stay" which has been filming episodes of the show at the Fairfax Hilton (aka the Adult Detention Center).

Don't know when these episodes will air, but they should give a good glimpse at the accommodations offered at the ADC.

These shows will be a must-see for those thinking about joining the "100 mph Club"!
I drive down 66 to Front Royal often and almost daily someone passes me well above 80 mph. I often wonder if this person will be the next to post on here looking for advice.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:07 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I drive down 66 to Front Royal often and almost daily someone passes me well above 80 mph. I often wonder if this person will be the next to post on here looking for advice.
You should change your license plate to "BGFT424". That way, drivers can identify you, flag you down on 66 (right after being ticketed) for advice, and you could charge them money for "prompt and personal service"!

Old 04-02-2014, 08:14 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post

And the hell of it is, if you play with the time-distance calculators, the time savings of 80 some mph vs. 70 mph is minimal.

Certainly not worth the grief if you get caught, at least not to me. I marvel at the time and money these folks waste after they get caught. For what, to save 15 or 20 minutes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia