Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 02:27 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,329,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patt2828 View Post
It was 3am, I was tired and speeding on I-95 in sussex county va on my way to fayetteville. I'm from maryland and have a maryland license. I was pulled over and the officer told me I was going 108mph but said he was cutting me a break and wrote 99mph in a 70mph. Plus he gave me 2 improper lane change tickets for apparently changing lanes without a signal. I have to drive 3 hours to court on the 12th of january and was wondering what the chances of getting these reduced without a lawyer are. I don't want to hire a lawyer. also does anyone know if I plead guilty to 2 counts of improper lane change and 1 count of reckless driving by speed will the points go on my license since i don't have a virginia license but a maryland one because if they don't show up I won't really care about cutting a deal with the prosecutor/officer if they refuse.
You don't say why you don't want to hire an attorney, but I'm going to tell you right now if you show up in court without one you are more than likely going to go to prison. That will make your three hour trip look pretty trivial. Even if you show up in court with an attorney you could do jail time, although it would likely be suspended. The fine will more than likely be sizable. Don't be a fool as you were the evening you were ticketed and get an attorney. Seriously, why were you going so fast? I can't believe the cop cut you the break he did. That guy deserves a sainthood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 03:23 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
He won't go to prison. Think felony time in the big pen when it comes to prison. But jail is most certainly a possible. Even if the officer cut you a break it could come out in court, if asked about the circumstances for the stop, and the officer will have to say. I can easily see a suspended OL, and/or in your case your ability to drive in VA, for some time. Maybe even a couple days in jail. Hire an attorney.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:46 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,004 times
Quote:
Found out that if I plea guilty to the original charges it will go on my driving record but the points will not apply. So my best bet is to try to cut a deal with the prosecutor if not oh well not the end of the world but still would like to know what my chances are for getting a deal. Also will there be a hefty fine?
I looked up some recent cases online because I was curious. At your speed (99mph), this is what you are guaranteed to get in Sussex County:

- 90 days license suspension (they can't take your MD license, but you won't be able to drive in VA)
- $500-600 fine
- guilty of reckless driving (no breaks on speed or charge)
- on the plus side: no jail time (not even suspended)

They gave the same thing to people that didn't even show up. You will not do any better than this without a lawyer. If you are ok with this, then by all means go in there alone. A lawyer should be able to avoid the suspension and maybe a lower fine. Dropping the reckless would be a big maybe. I don't know how MD's DMV system works, but they could dock you points or suspend if you they find out about your suspension as well.

Last edited by boyd888; 12-30-2015 at 04:56 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 06:12 PM

12 posts, read 13,333 times
you said they gave that to people who didn't appear? I thought if I don't appear in court they will put a warrant out for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
I looked up some recent cases online because I was curious. At your speed (99mph), this is what you are guaranteed to get in Sussex County:

- 90 days license suspension (they can't take your MD license, but you won't be able to drive in VA)
- $500-600 fine

They gave the same thing to people that didn't even show up. You will not do any better than this without a lawyer. If you are ok with this, then by all means go in there alone. A lawyer should be able to avoid the suspension and maybe a lower fine. Dropping the reckless would be a big maybe. I don't know how MD's DMV system works, but they could dock you points or suspend if you they find out about your suspension as well.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:19 PM

dont comment if you don't know what you're talking about. I'm not going to prison for a misdemeanor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
You don't say why you don't want to hire an attorney, but I'm going to tell you right now if you show up in court without one you are more than likely going to go to prison. That will make your three hour trip look pretty trivial. Even if you show up in court with an attorney you could do jail time, although it would likely be suspended. The fine will more than likely be sizable. Don't be a fool as you were the evening you were ticketed and get an attorney. Seriously, why were you going so fast? I can't believe the cop cut you the break he did. That guy deserves a sainthood.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:25 PM

thats about what i was expecting honestly. I don't need to drive in va anyway and md only docks out of state points for Alcohol or drug related offenses, Leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, Homicide or manslaughter involving a vehicle, Use of a motor vehicle in the commission of a felony. Can you provide a link pls on where you found this info. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post

- $500-600 fine

Old 12-30-2015, 06:28 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
you said they gave that to people who didn't appear? I thought if I don't appear in court they will put a warrant out for me.
Not for people who just pulled a "no call/ no show"; he is referring to people who did not appear in person, but sent their attorney instead.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:32 PM

Oh ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Not for people who just pulled a "no call/ no show"; he is referring to people who did not appear in person, but sent their attorney instead.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:39 AM

Quote:

This all depends on the commonwealth attorney. If he/she tells the judge they won't be seeking jail time the judge can try you in your absence. If they do seek jail time then a Capias will be issued for your arrest or if you're lucky a Show Cause summons with you showing why you should not be held in contempt for failing to appear.

No matter though. Just don't ignore this as it won't go away. See if you can hire a local attorney to represent you without you being there.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:43 AM

Now I'm waiting to see if one of 3 drivers from this morning post on here. A pick up with Arizona tags, a car with Florida tags and an SUV with MD tags all went flying by me doing in excess of 85-90 on I 81. We had some heavy fog in areas but this particular area was clear. I got off on 66 so no idea what happened as they continued north. Happened at 0400 today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia