Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 03:34 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times

Advertisements

This is Fairfax Co courts so I'd hire an attorney. There are some RD cases where a 200 dollar fine might be the norm but it's unlikely with this one. Nearly 30 over and over 80 means a simple fine might be tough to obtain. At least without help from an attorney. Hire one and save all of your questions for him or her. Do I think you're looking at jail time? Very unlikely but an OL suspension is a real possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 04:10 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs1500 View Post
Got pulled on my way to work on the wonderful Dulles toll road during rush hour. 82 in a 55.
82mph during rush hour? On the Dulles Toll Road? I don't buy it.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:12 PM

6 posts, read 6,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
This is Fairfax Co courts so I'd hire an attorney. There are some RD cases where a 200 dollar fine might be the norm but it's unlikely with this one. Nearly 30 over and over 80 means a simple fine might be tough to obtain. At least without help from an attorney. Hire one and save all of your questions for him or her. Do I think you're looking at jail time? Very unlikely but an OL suspension is a real possibility.
Suspension a possibility?? It's my first reckless, well under 90mph, 1 other moving violation in almost 10 years. Appreciate the advice, but I don't see how that comes anywhere close to a suspension. I don't even see that as a possibility unless I go in there and kick the cop/prosecutor in the balls.

Has anyone got suspended for first RD under 90??

Old 04-26-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
82mph during rush hour? On the Dulles Toll Road? I don't buy it.
Reverse commute? Arlington to Reston in the AM. So what exactly don't you "buy"? Was actually behind another vehicle (a work van) by the way.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:07 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
Quote:
Anyone care to give % odds I can do this without a lawyer haha?
In Fairfax County 0%. With a lawyer, nearly 100%. Gotta play the game in Fairfax - hire someone with an office next to the courthouse they know all the judges and officers. Your lawyer will likely get it dropped to 74/55. They will drop the fine down too ($200 is a reasonable guess assuming you have a good record) and you won't get a suspension or jail time. Fairfax County literally processes a hundred of these cases a week (maybe more) they are in and out like clockwork to them.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:09 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Reverse commute? Arlington to Reston in the AM. So what exactly don't you "buy"? Was actually behind another vehicle (a work van) by the way.
I didn't "buy" that it was possible to go that fast during rush hour on the toll road. I did not contemplate going the reverse. Thanks for the explanation.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
In Fairfax County 0%. With a lawyer, nearly 100%. Gotta play the game in Fairfax - hire someone with an office next to the courthouse they know all the judges and officers. Your lawyer will likely get it dropped to 74/55. They will drop the fine down too ($200 is a reasonable guess assuming you have a good record) and you won't get a suspension or jail time. Fairfax County literally processes a hundred of these cases a week (maybe more) they are in and out like clockwork to them.
Just feels like extortion haha. Pay Sally, J.D. $1000 bucks to go talk to her pal Prosecutor Joe for 10 minutes OR have a class 1 misdemeanor on your record forever for traveling 82 on a four lane highway with not many cars on the road and behind another vehicle to boot. Not making any excuses, definitely deserved a ticket. But a class 1 is just ludicrous. The reason I was so lost in all of this is like I said in my initial post, the officer blatantly gave me the wrong info including saying it would be around 250 for the ticket plus processing.

Oh well. Thanks for the advice. The one lawyer I spoke with that wasn't fear mongering me from the start basically said worst case scenario with her would be 3 points (or 4, can't remember) based on my record and assuming a non combative interaction with the officer. But she also said if I went to bat for myself I have a chance to get the reckless knocked to speeding (still 6 points). Considering I'm fairly young and have a vehicle that is more likely to get targeted, I'll lawyer up so I don't have a RD on my record for life.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:04 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
Quote:
Just feels like extortion haha. Pay Sally, J.D. $1000 bucks to go talk to her pal Prosecutor Joe for 10 minutes OR have a class 1 misdemeanor on your record forever for traveling 82 on a four lane highway with not many cars on the road and behind another vehicle to boot. Not making any excuses, definitely deserved a ticket. But a class 1 is just ludicrous. The reason I was so lost in all of this is like I said in my initial post, the officer blatantly gave me the wrong info including saying it would be around 250 for the ticket plus processing.

Oh well. Thanks for the advice. The one lawyer I spoke with that wasn't fear mongering me from the start basically said worst case scenario with her would be 3 points (or 4, can't remember) based on my record and assuming a non combative interaction with the officer. But she also said if I went to bat for myself I have a chance to get the reckless knocked to speeding (still 6 points). Considering I'm fairly young and have a vehicle that is more likely to get targeted, I'll lawyer up so I don't have a RD on my record for life.
Let it be a lesson not to ever take legal advice from a cop.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:06 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I didn't "buy" that it was possible to go that fast during rush hour on the toll road. I did not contemplate going the reverse. Thanks for the explanation.
Actually it is possible for short stretches in the HOV lanes, or it used to be. However, the cops would not be likely to catch someone doing that in the direction that everyone else is going.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:20 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
[quote=njdevs1500;43850690]Just feels like extortion haha. Pay Sally, J.D. $1000 bucks to go talk to her pal Prosecutor Joe for 10 minutes OR have a class 1 misdemeanor on your record forever for traveling 82 on a four lane highway with not many cars on the road and behind another vehicle to boot. Not making any excuses, definitely deserved a ticket. But a class 1 is just ludicrous. The reason I was so lost in all of this is like I said in my initial post, the officer blatantly gave me the wrong info including saying it would be around 250 for the ticket plus processing.

Oh well. Thanks for the advice. The one lawyer I spoke with that wasn't fear mongering me from the start basically said worst case scenario with her would be 3 points (or 4, can't remember) based on my record and assuming a non combative interaction with the officer. But she also said if I went to bat for myself I have a chance to get the reckless knocked to speeding (still 6 points). Considering I'm fairly young and have a vehicle that is more likely to get targeted, I'll lawyer up so I don't have a RD on my record for life.[/quote]

Some erroneous info in here but you seem to not want to listen so I'll back out. Good luck speedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia