U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 05:35 AM

7,248 posts, read 12,003,916 times

Advertisements

The chance of an attorney getting a RD ticket dismissed is pretty slim. I'll wager it's probably very unlikely. I don't know the Mecklenburg court system but taking the course ahead of time is not recommended for some courts but the attorneys working in Mecklenburg should know. Hire an attorney you're comfortable with and go with them. And the RD conviction, is convicted of RD, will not interfere with someone getting a visa.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 2,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
The chance of an attorney getting a RD ticket dismissed is pretty slim. I'll wager it's probably very unlikely. I don't know the Mecklenburg court system but taking the course ahead of time is not recommended for some courts but the attorneys working in Mecklenburg should know. Hire an attorney you're comfortable with and go with them. And the RD conviction, is convicted of RD, will not interfere with someone getting a visa.
Thank you so much. Especially for your explanation here for many years to help those like me overcome such a painful period. I will come back to tell you the following story and final result which I'm sure will help others better, just like your helps all the years here.

Thanks a lot!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 2,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I am not Bigfoot but my son is going through this now. Same thing, same situation. He has hired an attorney, one that is a bit more expensive then others but he likes him the best so that's who is was comfortable with. The attorney will represent him in court. My son does not have to go, but the attorney thought it best for him to show up. This attorney has not promised anything and certainly not a dismissal, but he does feel that he can get the reckless reduced to a moving violation (regular speeding ticket).

His attorney did not recommend the driver course and said to wait to do it as it will most likely be part of his 'punishment.' If you do it ahead of time, they have to find a punishment for you besides that. My son was told he might have to do community service of some sort also so be prepared for that. But that's just in the area where he got is ticket so the attorney knows what this particular judge might do.

My son also talked to other attorneys who were cheaper. You use the word "humble", he would tell you that they seemed bored and disinterested. I'm sure it's any everyday thing for them but my son didn't care for that attitude.

Thank you for your comport, and kind explanation. I kind of calm down now, and seems that it is really an everyday business for attorneys in that area. So I will just try to hire an attorney that I feel most comfortable with and then just believe in him, doing whatever he tells me to do, and preying for the best result.

Good luck to both your son and me! Thank you again.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 3,410 times
Default Carroll County - Unfortunately, I got a reckless driving ticket near Carroll county.

I was on my way from Charlotte, NC to Pittsburgh and most of the times I was with in the speed limits. I was passing a big trailer and to do that increased my speed but didnt realize that I touched 85 . At that very point, I was stopped and given a RD ticket - 65/85 . At that time, i was not aware that its like a criminal case. The cop did acknowledge and noted that I was passing and thats how my speed jumped to 85.

I am really concerned of this 'criminal' tag and I really want to get this resolved. Please advice.

I have read many many posts here and it seems best advice is to hire a local lawyer. Is my understanding correct ? And what would be the lawyer fees ( just a ballpark figure).

Do you have any recommendations for the local lawyer ?

Please reply.

Thanks,

Old 08-23-2016, 10:12 AM

8,879 posts, read 11,182,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte_NC View Post
I was on my way from Charlotte, NC to Pittsburgh and most of the times I was with in the speed limits. I was passing a big trailer and to do that increased my speed but didnt realize that I touched 85 . At that very point, I was stopped and given a RD ticket - 65/85 . At that time, i was not aware that its like a criminal case. The cop did acknowledge and noted that I was passing and thats how my speed jumped to 85.

I am really concerned of this 'criminal' tag and I really want to get this resolved. Please advice.

I have read many many posts here and it seems best advice is to hire a local lawyer. Is my understanding correct ? And what would be the lawyer fees ( just a ballpark figure).

Please reply.

Thanks,

Yes, getting a local lawyer is the best bet. Since you didn't say where you were pulled over, doubtful anyone can give a recommendation; but going from Charlotte to Pittsburg, it doesn't sound like you were in Northern Virginia. Not having gone through this, I'd estimate $500 - $750 for the lawyer.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:27 AM

Thanks Spencgr - I was pulled over at I-77 near exit 19 and I am supposed to appear in the court of Carroll County..

Old 08-23-2016, 03:23 PM

1,276 posts, read 2,059,306 times
Quote:
Thanks Spencgr - I was pulled over at I-77 near exit 19 and I am supposed to appear in the court of Carroll County..
And do tell what part of Carroll County is in Northern Virginia? I don't think you will find many people that are experts on lawyers 300 miles away.

Hire someone within a half mile of the courthouse they will be buddy buddy with the judges and cops.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:55 PM

11,208 posts, read 13,164,973 times
Quote:

Please reply.

Thanks,
Just do an internet search for "reckless driving lawyers in Carroll County" and you will get a list of them. Start calling and find the one that suits you. My son got his this way (also had some recommendations from this board but it was for areas fairly close to Northern VA). The cost runs from $500-$900 depending on the lawyer. That will cover everything to handle the case.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:59 PM

I am summoned for court in 'Hillsville'.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 787 times
Hi all, I am posting on behalf of my wife, she got pulled over last night and cited for reckless driving (general) 462-852, the location was Braddock Rd. The ticket has no speed listed, but she said the officer told her she was doing 65 in a 45. Her court appearance is next month in Fairfax. I've scoured through the last 75 pages or so because she is freaking out.
It seems like she should be ok on her own but I'm kind of on the fence about an attorney still. Shes never had a ticket or even been pulled over for that matter. We are MD residents. If we could avoid the attorney that would be ideal, kind of broke lately.
Almost all the posts I've read here seem to be much higher speed tickets, so I thought I'd ask for a little advice from. Anyone who's willing to offer it. Thanks a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia