Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 03:30 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times

Advertisements

Hey EmporiaFan. Wife and I just came down 95 S/B on Friday AM. Again, no police cars running Radar/Lidar on 95 anywhere near Emporia. Did have one car pass us in the left lane doing between 85-90 and I was hoping he'd be stopped but it would appear he got away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 05:35 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Obviously they need to hire more police. if this isn't corrected they'll be people driving 81 mph there.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:00 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Hey EmporiaFan. Wife and I just came down 95 S/B on Friday AM. Again, no police cars running Radar/Lidar on 95 anywhere near Emporia. Did have one car pass us in the left lane doing between 85-90 and I was hoping he'd be stopped but it would appear he got away with it.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:28 PM

I know. I'm bad. But, we just came home on 95 N/B and saw NO cops along 95 from Emporia and many miles up the road.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:55 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I know. I'm bad. But, we just came home on 95 N/B and saw NO cops along 95 from Emporia and many miles up the road.
They're not as aggressive on I-95 like they used to be. I used to travel I-95 through there a lot between 2009 and 2011 when I lived in Farmville and would visit friends in Goldsboro, NC and it was a different story then. I went through there last month on I-95 and US-58 and enforcement has definitely dropped from what it was. I was really surprised.

My whole take on it is that I don't mind the heavy enforcement if there is a legit safety issue, but when it becomes blatantly obvious that a municipality is using enforcement to boost their budgets the way Hopewell famously does with their tiny bit of I-295, that's where I have a problem. Hopewell's delegate, Riley Ingram, recently had the budget amendment repealed, which had reduced the amount of ticket revenue local governments could keep. He argued that local governments needed the revenue and that the loss of revenue was causing fiscal problems. If a town or city has to rely on ticket revenue THAT much to stay afloat, then they have a very serious problem.

The fact that the state increased the speed limit to 70 without raising the RD limit above 80 doesn't help matters, either.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:13 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post

My whole take on it is that I don't mind the heavy enforcement if there is a legit safety issue, but when it becomes blatantly obvious that a municipality is using enforcement to boost their budgets the way Hopewell famously does with their tiny bit of I-295, that's where I have a problem. Hopewell's delegate, Riley Ingram, recently had the budget amendment repealed, which had reduced the amount of ticket revenue local governments could keep. He argued that local governments needed the revenue and that the loss of revenue was causing fiscal problems. If a town or city has to rely on ticket revenue THAT much to stay afloat, then they have a very serious problem.
If ticket revenue goes away, don't taxes go up? Personally, I'd prefer to "punish" the guilty (speeders) rather than my taxes go up.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:44 AM

87 posts, read 74,732 times
Hey Big,

Glad to hear that Emporia’s finest were hopefully out doing real police work instead of collecting money for the county from drivers on I-95. I’m leaving for FL on Sunday in my red Corvette. I’ll have the cruise control on all the way through VA. However, when I get to Emporia, I’ll make sure to check and see if the sheriff’s speed traps are in place. If so, I’ll double back and get some pictures to post.

At this time of year people are always in a hurry getting ready for the Holidays. It’ll be easy pickings for those full time I-95 traffic officers.

Take care!

Old 12-08-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmporiaFan View Post
Hey Big,

Glad to hear that Emporia’s finest were hopefully out doing real police work instead of collecting money for the county from drivers on I-95. I’m leaving for FL on Sunday in my red Corvette. I’ll have the cruise control on all the way through VA. However, when I get to Emporia, I’ll make sure to check and see if the sheriff’s speed traps are in place. If so, I’ll double back and get some pictures to post.

At this time of year people are always in a hurry getting ready for the Holidays. It’ll be easy pickings for those full time I-95 traffic officers.

Take care!
If you really want to exit 95 S/B to go back N/B to get some pics then by all mean feel free.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:16 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
stay on 95, keep your cruise control set at 82 and you should be fine.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:13 PM

87 posts, read 74,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
stay on 95, keep your cruise control set at 82 and you should be fine.
You WILL be fine! Fine with a reckless driving charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia