U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-13-2011, 07:45 AM

7,523 posts, read 9,624,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Your excuse pretty much blows and you know it. Short of running for your life there is NO reason/excuse for doing 96 on I 95. Especially in NOVA. Taking into consideration your calibration you were still doing 92. You can pretty much count on a suspension and possibly a day or two in jail. Go in without a lawyer and you're pretty much screwed.
The excuse blows, but it would have been nice of the cops to also nab that aggressive driver trying to block him out. I hope it wasn't the trooper doing that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 08:35 AM

4,217 posts, read 5,276,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The excuse blows, but it would have been nice of the cops to also nab that aggressive driver trying to block him out. I hope it wasn't the trooper doing that?

Assuming the story is even true.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:27 AM

519 posts, read 654,065 times
Quote:
Well clearly something is missing. Speeding up to not you let in is unfortunately common, but slowing down to block you from coming in behind them is not something I ever see. The whole point of speeding up is so that they can pull in behind you. Also how long does it for Suburban to even get to 96?

You definitely need a lawyer on this one and don't even bring up your "excuse" in court.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:12 PM

7,523 posts, read 9,624,604 times
Quote:
I did consider that, but didn't mention it. That's a fair point.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:31 PM

1,275 posts, read 794,611 times
Even if the story was true, the wisest thing to do in that situation is to be patient. If the person in the suburban was already passing, then there's no reason for speed up as well.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,522 times
Hi BigFoot, I am a 26 year old woman - I was driving in Bland County, VA. I was coming down a hill when an officer clocked me on a radar at 89mph in a 70 zone. I was charged with 46.2-862 (Reckless driving by speed). The officer checked a box that says I'm not required to show up in court. My court date is on Dec 7, 2011 - but at that time, I'll be in the middle of 3rd year rotation for medical school in NYC. My drivers' license is Canadian - I am Canadian & I'm here on USA on visa. Can I get a continuance because of my heavy school-schedule on Dec 7? From what I understand reading from the old posts - I will have a misdemeanor on my record if I'm convicted of RD. You told other people this doesn't go on their criminal record - but isn't a misdemeanor a criminal offense? How will this effect my prospects when I'm applying for a job (residency) in USA in 2 years time? What about if I ever want to apply for a green-card? Thank you for your help in advance!

Old 10-15-2011, 04:48 AM

I'm not going to explain it all in detail again as it's posted here more than a few times. But the short answer is no. There will be no criminal conviction on your record. Just a RD or whatever it's reduced to on your driving record. You can request a continuance or you can hire a lawyer to represent you on your court date so you don't have to come back.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,522 times
Quote:
I'm not going to explain it all in detail again as it's posted here more than a few times. But the short answer is no. There will be no criminal conviction on your record. Just a RD or whatever it's reduced to on your driving record. You can request a continuance or you can hire a lawyer to represent you on your court date so you don't have to come back.
thanks for the quick reply - do you have any experience with Bland County, VA? (It's SouthWest-VA - around Wytheville). Also, I was pretty happy with the thread over all & satisfied the misdemeanor wouldn't show on my criminal records. But then I came across this post: [url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/virginia/855464-reckless-driving-years-later-its-haunting.html[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn1234 View Post
Hello,
I got issued a reckless driving Misdeamor in July 2005 right before my 21st birthday. I was driving through central Virginia on my way down to the Carolinas.

i got issued a reckless driving because I was clocked going 20 over the speed limit. Well since I never drive honestly (don't even own a car) I just paid the cost of the ticket and didn't think about it again. Not even sure what paying it meant, but when I called the number on the ticket the woman stated to either pay or come to court. I opted not to go to court, since I am from Northern VA and I was a few hours south in a town I didn't know.

Well now I realized when I applied for a job in another state that it appeared on my criminal record!

Is it possible to get rid of this thing now? Id be willing to fly back to VA to have this fixed. So frustrated with this thing. I wish I hadnt just pulled out my credit card and paid it over the phone like that.

Is this on my criminal record and my DMV record...not sure if there is a difference. I didnt realize other states could see my driving record! and mainly future employers.

Is it possible to get rid of this thing??
Please clarify why this guy might've had the misdemeanor show up on his criminal record. From his post, it doesn't sound like he was arrested.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:16 PM

I have no experience with Bland Co at all. I can't explain this persons post but I doubt its validity considering DMV is a statewide office and the policy is the same all over. They do not report a RD conviction as a criminal conviction if the person is released on a UTS. In my over 30 years in LE I never once saw this problem.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,588 times
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

My name is Dave.

I am 21 years old.

I have read this entire thread.

On October 8th, 2011 at approximately 7:45PM, I was driving my show car (which I have only had for a few months and only drive on Saturdays) to the Panda Express in Central Park, Fredericksburg VA (I live in Spotsylvania). The car has approximately 500 horse power and is very loud. It attracts EVERYONE'S attention. I was stopped at a red light on Carl D. Silver parkway in the left lane and a SUV pulled up next to me and the driver rolled down his window to address me. He said he loved my car and wanted me to help him build up his "hot-rod". I was in the middle of giving him my number when the car behind me blared their horn. I finished reciting my phone number to the man and then looked up to notice the light had turned green. I immediately pushed on the accelerator to catch up with traffic and misjudged the touchy pedal. The car fishtailed back and fourth and I tried my hardest to regain control. The car then did a 180 degree turn, ran up on the curb, and hit one of the little trees right across from Panda Express! My baby now requires a $1,000 deductible to fix the driver's side fender and replace a tie-rod. NO ONE WAS HURT AND NO PROPERTY DAMAGE WAS INCURRED (other than my car). Apparently a tow truck driver saw it all happen and he blocked traffic because my car was still halfway in the street. I got out of my car and he told me that the authorities HAVE to be notified. I agreed and they arrived. I then called my insurance company and my parents.
Three cruisers and four police officers were present. They all talked to the tow truck driver and then all of them left the scene except one (Officer Nielsen). He took pictures of the accident, damage, and my front license plate CLEARLY displayed in the windshield. He then took my license and asked what happened. I was in shock and just said that "I was not used to driving the car and at the light, when it turned green, I misjudged the gas pedal and the car got sideways and hit the tree". He then went and sat in his car and watched me, with my head in my hands, until the tow truck that my insurance company sent arrived. When the car was put on the truck, the police officer then approached me and said "Well, there is going to be a couple of tickets for this you know....". My Father arrived and talked to the officer. The officer then wrote me TWO tickets!

58-2/46.2-861(A) RD-TOO FAST FOR CONDITIONS-SINGLE CAR ACCIDENT

58-2/46.2-711 FAIL TO PROPERLY DISPLAY VEHICLE LICENSE PLATE-FRONT PLATE ON DASH

I have only had one speeding ticket and that was 2 years ago.
I have no criminal record.
I have +2 points on my driving record.

I am trying to get into the Air Force as we speak and this is really going to hurt if I can not get this charge reduced.
I am also a college student and cannot afford my insurance deductible alone, much less the increase in premium and fines of up to $2,500!

I really need some guidance on what I should do next and what to expect.

My court date is: 11/18/2011 at 9AM.......

Last edited by DAVE1990; 10-15-2011 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: keyboard ran out of battery (my luck)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia