Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 08:01 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgman1 View Post
Was cited for reckless driving this past Friday night for driving the wrong way on a one-way street in Fairfax County Va. I was not familiar with the area and mistakenly turned the wrong way onto a one-way street. Officer obviously asked if I had been drinking. I had a few beers with my dinner and indicated that to the officer. He asked if I wanted to take a Breatalyzer(sp) and naturally I replied "no". He advised me to park my car and take a taxi home. I plan to get a lawyer and prey that I can get the ticket reduced to an improper driving charge. My driving record is ok. I have a couple minor tickets over the past several years (-3 driver record). Im worried that if I get a reckless driving I will recieve have my license suspended. Anyone have any thoughts on what my chances are of getting the citation reduced to improper driving? Also, what is the risk that the police officer will introduce alcohol as a factor eventhough no sobriety or breatalyzer was taken? Will this have any impact or since no procedures were taken to indicate my alcohol level would this likely not be an issue?

I'd say you lucked out...you normallly would be looking at a refusal rap at the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 AM

9 posts, read 33,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I'd say you lucked out...you normallly would be looking at a refusal rap at the least.
I had been drinking responsibly and would have taken a test at the police station (I knew I was well under the limit) if the officer had threatened a refusal. I was always told not to do the road sobriety tests. Was a moot point as he never asked me to get out of the car.

Last edited by jgman1; 03-27-2012 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 03-27-2012, 03:18 PM

59 posts, read 149,964 times
This is for " GW Parkway - 77 in a 50 "

I think because the GW Parkway is on a federal property like federal parks, it's handled by US district court. I'm not sure if you can negotiate speed in a US court vs. a state court but a friend told me once that all you can pretty much do is pay the fine. As far as points go and insurance, you may wanna consult a lawyer.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:53 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Was cited for reckless driving this past Friday night for driving the wrong way on a one-way street in Fairfax County Va. I was not familiar with the area and mistakenly turned the wrong way onto a one-way street. Officer obviously asked if I had been drinking. I had a few beers with my dinner and indicated that to the officer. He asked if I wanted to take a Breatalyzer(sp) and naturally I replied "no". He advised me to park my car and take a taxi home. I plan to get a lawyer and prey that I can get the ticket reduced to an improper driving charge. My driving record is ok. I have a couple minor tickets over the past several years (-3 driver record). Im worried that if I get a reckless driving I will recieve have my license suspended. Anyone have any thoughts on what my chances are of getting the citation reduced to improper driving? Also, what is the risk that the police officer will introduce alcohol as a factor eventhough no sobriety or breatalyzer was taken? Will this have any impact or since no procedures were taken to indicate my alcohol level would this likely not be an issue?

You really give little enough info on the "wrong way" part so it's hard to make a educated guess. But if you have a lawyer you stand a real good chance on a reduction. You stand little to no chance of a suspension unless you're leaving out part of the story.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I had been drinking responsibly and would have taken a test at the police station (I knew I was well under the limit) if the officer had threatened a refusal. I was always told not to do the road sobriety tests. Was a moot point as he never asked me to get out of the car.

Forgot to mention. The alcohol won't come into play here. The officer obviously didn't feel you were even close enough to test. You were asked to take a field alco-sensor test (roadside breath) which is not admissible in court. If you were taking a breathalyzer you would have been under arrest.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,128 times
I have read many pages of this thread it and it very helpful, thanks for everyone replying. Here is my situation and would really apperciate any advice anyone could give, thanks.

11:30 am on a monday on 85 in brunswick county. I got pulled over for 86 in a 70. That is accurate, I was speeding. It was up a hill and in the left hand lane. Going up a hill, you naturally hit the gas more and I wasnt blowing by anyone. I was shocked to see that this is considered wreckless driving and really feel that it shouldn't be, but nevertheless I was given the ticket so that is moot. I am 23 and am out of state from NY and was driving through. I have a clean record with no prior tickets. Being out of state, do you recommend a lawyer, show up in person, plea guilty and mail it in? I can not seem to find out how much it costs so any idea how much it would cost to get send in payment, if that is the best option?

Thanks alot

Old 03-27-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
You really give little enough info on the "wrong way" part so it's hard to make a educated guess. But if you have a lawyer you stand a real good chance on a reduction. You stand little to no chance of a suspension unless you're leaving out part of the story.
Thanks for your response Bigfoot. Was heading down BackLick Rd in Springfield looking to turn around to get back to 95. After passing thru a "green" traffic light, unknown to me the road turned into a multiple lane one-way street. There were no signs indicating "Begin One-Way". Hence, I made a u-turn on the one-way stretch hoping to turn-around, and thats when I was stopped.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Forgot to mention. The alcohol won't come into play here. The officer obviously didn't feel you were even close enough to test. You were asked to take a field alco-sensor test (roadside breath) which is not admissible in court. If you were taking a breathalyzer you would have been under arrest.
Thanks. Spoke to an attorney (former Fairfax County Prosecuter) this afternoon and he confirmed what you said above. Basically if the officer didnt take the time to conduct the appropriate sobriety tests, most judges dont want to hear about alcohol.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglen View Post
I have read many pages of this thread it and it very helpful, thanks for everyone replying. Here is my situation and would really apperciate any advice anyone could give, thanks.

11:30 am on a monday on 85 in brunswick county. I got pulled over for 86 in a 70. That is accurate, I was speeding. It was up a hill and in the left hand lane. Going up a hill, you naturally hit the gas more and I wasnt blowing by anyone. I was shocked to see that this is considered wreckless driving and really feel that it shouldn't be, but nevertheless I was given the ticket so that is moot. I am 23 and am out of state from NY and was driving through. I have a clean record with no prior tickets. Being out of state, do you recommend a lawyer, show up in person, plea guilty and mail it in? I can not seem to find out how much it costs so any idea how much it would cost to get send in payment, if that is the best option?

Thanks alot
Brunswick is not in NOVA so you're not likely to get many, if any, responses from someone in that area. You might want to re-post it. But in a short answer, yes, hiring a lawyer for a case like this would likely be best so you won't have to come back to court. Talk to a local lawyer there (Brunswick) for better advice locally. Reckless (not wreckless) is not a pre-payable offense in VA although some localities may allow it in certain circumstances.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Thanks for your response Bigfoot. Was heading down BackLick Rd in Springfield looking to turn around to get back to 95. After passing thru a "green" traffic light, unknown to me the road turned into a multiple lane one-way street. There were no signs indicating "Begin One-Way". Hence, I made a u-turn on the one-way stretch hoping to turn-around, and thats when I was stopped.
Were there lines painted on the pavement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia