U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 18,814 times

Advertisements

Yes, it does say I was charged with reckless driving...However, I thought anything over 20+ is considered reckless If I last recalled the speed limit at 55....so would u have any idea if I were to represent myself first and if its not in my favor, will the continuous hurt my case there after?

You mentioned the officers talking of something official..what does that mean??

and it was more like them laughing for 2 mins or so
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:15 PM

15,043 posts, read 23,988,423 times
That early drop in the speed limit on the Dulles Access Rd. is really annoying.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 PM

man.....Tell me about it!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:07 PM

7,670 posts, read 13,351,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim2three View Post
Yes, it does say I was charged with reckless driving...However, I thought anything over 20+ is considered reckless If I last recalled the speed limit at 55....so would u have any idea if I were to represent myself first and if its not in my favor, will the continuous hurt my case there after?

You mentioned the officers talking of something official..what does that mean??

and it was more like them laughing for 2 mins or so

20+ over the speed limit is not automatic Reckless. You can't represent yourself then ask for a continuance if you don't like the finding. You would need to appeal once you are found guilty. Fairfax Co. is a little harder to deal with by yourself. I would seriously just hire an attorney and let them assist you.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
20+ over the speed limit is not automatic Reckless. You can't represent yourself then ask for a continuance if you don't like the finding. You would need to appeal once you are found guilty. Fairfax Co. is a little harder to deal with by yourself. I would seriously just hire an attorney and let them assist you.

I thought that if I plead guilty w/o an attorney, and if they decide to charge me with reckless driving then I can still ask for an appeal??

Old 06-26-2012, 04:16 AM

7,670 posts, read 13,351,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim2three View Post
I thought that if I plead guilty w/o an attorney, and if they decide to charge me with reckless driving then I can still ask for an appeal??
I assume you're asking if they CONVICT you can you still appeal? Yes you can. But why go that route? If you appeal and go to Circuit Court I would assume you would go with an attorney? Why not just go with one now. It sounds like an airtight case for them so why not let someone with knowledge of the law and the courts go in and deal for you. I would think you have a good shot at a reduction to speeding, maybe something like 74/55.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 AM

9 posts, read 32,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgman1 View Post
Was cited for reckless driving this past Friday night for driving the wrong way on a one-way street in Fairfax County Va. I was not familiar with the area and mistakenly turned the wrong way onto a one-way street. Officer obviously asked if I had been drinking. I had a few beers with my dinner and indicated that to the officer. He asked if I wanted to take a Breatalyzer(sp) and naturally I replied "no". He advised me to park my car and take a taxi home. I plan to get a lawyer and prey that I can get the ticket reduced to an improper driving charge. My driving record is ok. I have a couple minor tickets over the past several years (-3 driver record). Im worried that if I get a reckless driving I will recieve have my license suspended. Anyone have any thoughts on what my chances are of getting the citation reduced to improper driving? Also, what is the risk that the police officer will introduce alcohol as a factor eventhough no sobriety or breatalyzer was taken? Will this have any impact or since no procedures were taken to indicate my alcohol level would this likely not be an issue?
Finally had my court date and got the charge reduced to improper driving and a $500 fine. Initially at the start of court my attorney said the prosecuter wanted to suspend my license for 3 mths because of the alcohol factor. However, my attorney spoke to the officer and somehow was able to get them to reduce it to improper driving. He struck the deal at the recess, so maybe the officer just wanted to get out of court (the officer had alot of cases before the break). The $500 for the attorney was well worth the it. He's very familiar with the Fairfax County court and knew the judge's background and indicated it was best to strike a deal rather than go forward with a hearing. Should note that other reckless driving charges were reduced to speeding if you had a good record and were not to far over the reckless threshhold (no need for an attorney in those situations).

Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgman1 View Post
Finally had my court date and got the charge reduced to improper driving and a $500 fine. Initially at the start of court my attorney said the prosecuter wanted to suspend my license for 3 mths because of the alcohol factor. However, my attorney spoke to the officer and somehow was able to get them to reduce it to improper driving. He struck the deal at the recess, so maybe the officer just wanted to get out of court (the officer had alot of cases before the break). The $500 for the attorney was well worth the it. He's very familiar with the Fairfax County court and knew the judge's background and indicated it was best to strike a deal rather than go forward with a hearing. Should note that other reckless driving charges were reduced to speeding if you had a good record and were not to far over the reckless threshhold (no need for an attorney in those situations).
May I ask for the info of the attorney you hired?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:45 PM

9 posts, read 32,788 times
David Hall (Phillips,Beckwith,Hall, and Chase)

Old 07-03-2012, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,802 times
I was clocked going 100 in a 55 in Tazewell County near the end of May. The officer suggested I get a lawyer. The next day I hired Michael Letsen with Galumbeck, Dennis, and Kegley Law in Tazewell, VA. He charges $750 for reckless charges less than 90mph, and $1250 for reckless charges greater than 90mph. When I first met with him, I offered him $1000 and we settled on $1050 if I paid in full. He suggested I take a safe driving course before my court date so I did that as well. I had a clean driving record. We plead " not guilty with stipulation of facts." My final ruling was 1500 dollar fine, 3 mos. license suspension, and of course guilty of reckless driving. In lieu of the 3 mos. license suspension I was able to get 100 hours of community service which I have 6 mos. to complete. Ultimately, no jail and no license suspension seems pretty good, especially for the speed I was traveling. Plus, I found out I can do community service for my entire fine, so I'm just going to do that. At the end of the day, I've got a reckless driving charge on my license and am out about $1150 for my lawyer and the safe driving class. The judge did not care that I took the safe driving class. My insurance had just renewed for a year right before my court date so if all goes well they won't even see my reckless charge for a year and by that time hopefully my rates won't change either. Stupid mistake to go that fast. No excuse and it will not happen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia