Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times

Advertisements

Wasn't there like a 75 page thread on reckless driving with recent activity? Check it out. And please rarely come back to VA if you're going to keep driving 90 in 55 mph zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,073 times
I was pulled over for going 89 in a 55 on my way home from work. I rarely am ever in Virginia (Maryland Resident) and was shocked when lawyers started mailing me notices saying I was facing a serious misdemeanor.
My ticket says 46.2 862 next to law section. Also I was given a court summons by the cop and not arrested at the scene.

I was pulled over around 11:15PM with very little traffic and my driving record is good. I was pulled over once in Maryland when I first got my license about 6 years ago, but did a few hours of community service and got it removed. Any advice for me? I was told by a clerk today that this is not a criminal charge.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
Is it just me or are the behind the wheel instructors in the area teaching new drivers to stop 1-3 car lengths behind other cars while at traffic lights? I'm only bringing that up because according to a girl who definitely looked like she was between the ages of 16-18, told me while at a traffic light (she was adjacent me in the other lane) that I stopped too close to the driver ahead of me. I was stopped within safe distance, could she the cars back bumper, etc.

Can someone please explain this phenomenon to me? Maybe they're teaching this new generation a new method or their instructors are poor at their jobs. I really don't know.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,829 times
Hi all,

I have read through this forum and it has been helpful. I received a reckless ticket in Loudoun County and want to get your opinions about whether or not I should hire a lawyer. Here are the facts:

-RD ticket for driving 82/55 on Rt. 28
-Rental car
-Speedometer calibrated at +6 MPH (so it read 76 at my peak speed)
-Clean driving record

I spoke with the officer, who said I can submit my evidence to the Commonwealth Attorney before my hearing. He said I don't need to have attorney to do this. I spoke to an attorney anyway, who will charge over $900, which I will have very hard time affording. Representing myself seems simple enough, but I have a knot in my stomach about doing it without an attorney. A couple nagging questions:

-What am I asking the CA for?
-What do I plead? "Guilty with explanation" or "No contest"?

What are your thoughts? Is my charge serious enough to be extra safe and get the attorney, or am I okay representing myself because of the evidence in my favor?

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2013, 01:15 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Even if you "thought" you were going 76, that's still more than 20 over the speed limit.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:20 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
Do you live in the area? If so, I would talk to the CA as the officer suggested and show him/her the calibration. It is still speeding to the point that it could be RD but you can ask for a reduction to improper driving or speeding. I personally would ask for the chance to plead guilty to 19 over. I would not plead guilty with an explanation unless you decide against an attorney and the CA doesn't want to work with you. If you want an attorney I would make additional calls. You can likely find someone that will do it cheaper than 900.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,829 times
Thanks BigFoot. Is there a way to contact the CA before the trial to discuss a lower charge, as you suggested? Or do I have to wait until the day of the trial?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalden View Post
Thanks BigFoot. Is there a way to contact the CA before the trial to discuss a lower charge, as you suggested? Or do I have to wait until the day of the trial?
You can call their office but I doubt they will talk to you. Doesn't cost to try. You'll likely need to talk to them the day of court.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:53 PM

21 posts, read 38,161 times
Hi all,

I thought I would return with my results from my RD ticket back in March in Loudoun County. I did end up hiring an attorney for a fairly expensive fee but I didn't feel good about just leaving it up to chance in court. Plus, in LC the CA won't talk to you without an attorney so if you are without one, you're basically defending yourself in front of the judge with no guarantee of the outcome.

The attorney I spoke to admitted LC was a "racket" in that sense - only attorneys can talk to the CA and officers before the hearing time. I think Bigfoot recommended calling the CAs office or the officer before the court date - but I hadz luck with either.

Anyway, court date was a couple of weeks ago at 10am. I showed up - my attorney had already spoken to the CA and the officer and got my charge reduced to "Failure to Obey Highway Sign" which is -3 points. I had a +4 driving record so I'm sure that helped. When I came before the judge, she already had the amended lower charge and asked how I plead. I plead guilty and was done within 20 minutes. They take all the cases with attorney's first BTW. Paid my court fees and Failure to Obey Traffic Sign ticket and was done. Whole process was less than 1/2 hour.

Looking back, with my good driving record, I *may* have been able to successfully defend myself, but I didn't want to take the chance. Anyway, there's my LC experience. If anyone has questions, feel free to message me and I'll try to answer any other questions about the details/process.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:45 AM

I didn't realize Loudoun was handling traffic court like this. That's too bad. PWC has for years allowed citizens to talk with prosecutors during court time as it helps speed things along, in my opinion anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia