Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Muh

7 posts, read 15,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMadison View Post
Which county was this?
Fairfax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,886 times
I was speeding at 63 in 35 Miles zone and was issued Reckless Driving ticket. I am in a confusion to hire a lawyer or represent my self in the Fairfax District Court. I do have a clear driving history although it is only one year that I have been living in USA. I have never been convicted of any charges before. Hence Please advise if it is good to represent myself or hire an attorney.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:34 AM

870 posts, read 2,109,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytan1983 View Post
I was speeding at 63 in 35 Miles zone and was issued Reckless Driving ticket. I am in a confusion to hire a lawyer or represent my self in the Fairfax District Court. I do have a clear driving history although it is only one year that I have been living in USA. I have never been convicted of any charges before. Hence Please advise if it is good to represent myself or hire an attorney.
I would definitely hire an attorney. 63 in a 35 mile zone is VERY dangerous, and so it is not likely that judges will readily cut a break. Also, depending on your immigration status, a reckless driving conviction could come into play when your case is reviewed (seeking permanent status, renewal of visa, etc.). Therefore, you want a competent lawyer who can both represent you well for this ticket as well as protect your immigration status.

In the meantime, slow down and follow your lawyer's advice.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:29 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytan1983 View Post
Just out of curiosity, why were you doing 63 in a 35 mph zone?

Old 08-13-2013, 03:01 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
Just out of curiosity, why were you doing 63 in a 35 mph zone?
Apparently driving with HUA.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 AM

137 posts, read 277,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psusra112 View Post
95 will not get you a lecture. 95 gives you a legitimate chance at a weekend in county jail. Retain a lawyer, take the traffic class prior to going to court. You may be beyond getting the RD charge dropped, but that lawyer may save you a weekend or two in jail. For example, in Northern Virginia (Fairfax County), judges hand out 1 day of jail time for each MPH over 85. So if you're going 95 like yourself, you get a nice 10 days, or 5 weekends in county jail.

Get the lawyer, show up remorseful with driving class in hand and hope the judge is in a good enough mood to keep you out of jail, no matter how much you deserve it. 95 isn't a safe speed on any highway in VA, even one signed 70.

I have a hard time believing 85mph is going to get you 1 day of jail time unless you had a rack of tickets/points. 85mph with a clean record resulting in jail time would probably make national news. I'm sure every cop, lawyer, and judge has broken the 85mph barrier before. We're all human and cars have 200+ horsepower for a reason and it certainly isn't to drive 55mph on the interstate. Let's just be honest here.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:59 AM

53 posts, read 66,025 times
63 in a 35? I hope you go to jail.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,151 times
Hi BigFoot,

I went through the forum and found that you have helped lot of people with your responses. I am one among them seeking the advise from you. I was convicted of reckless driving, but I was neither arrested nor was I involved in any injuries or damage to the property. Judge asked me to just pay the fine but did not reduce the charges. When I went through your older posts for the RD convictions, one of your post mentioned that with out arrests it will not be treated as criminal charges, but you have also mentioned in another post that the courts are now required to report RD convictions as criminal charges. Can you please clarify RD conviction without arrest will remain as criminal charge.

thanks in advance.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swishplace View Post
I have a hard time believing 85mph is going to get you 1 day of jail time unless you had a rack of tickets/points. 85mph with a clean record resulting in jail time would probably make national news. I'm sure every cop, lawyer, and judge has broken the 85mph barrier before. We're all human and cars have 200+ horsepower for a reason and it certainly isn't to drive 55mph on the interstate. Let's just be honest here.
Okay, honest here. I've never had a car with 200 + HP. But yes, even with 30 years in LE you normally saw so one go to jail for speeding unless they hit 90 and above. Rarely, and maybe never, for less.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yt6yt6 View Post
Hi BigFoot,

I went through the forum and found that you have helped lot of people with your responses. I am one among them seeking the advise from you. I was convicted of reckless driving, but I was neither arrested nor was I involved in any injuries or damage to the property. Judge asked me to just pay the fine but did not reduce the charges. When I went through your older posts for the RD convictions, one of your post mentioned that with out arrests it will not be treated as criminal charges, but you have also mentioned in another post that the courts are now required to report RD convictions as criminal charges. Can you please clarify RD conviction without arrest will remain as criminal charge.

thanks in advance.
Yep. All courts now have to report the RD conviction. SO unfortunately it is a misd conviction. That said, this rarely interferes with anyone going for a job requiring no criminal convictions. Employers are smart enough to know that RD comes from stupid driving and will over look these. You may have to explain the offense but I know plenty of people who have obtained a clearance with a RD conviction. I know one police officer who was hired after 5 years passed by with a RD conviction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia