Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 04:19 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,233,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swishplace View Post
saw this video on the reckless driving law. even a lawyer admitted the law is a money making machine (go to 5:52 in the vid):

New Law on Reckless Driving Speeding in Virginia - YouTube

in my opinion, the only thing criminal about going 80 on the interstate is the reckless driving law itself. i really hope someone has the time and energy to fight this because it really is preposterous.

I didn't watch the video but I bet it's an invalid argument if it's for the law that was created making a RD conviction extremely expensive. I don't recall exactly but it was mandatory that the fine was up in the thousands. After much backlash, including from the law enforcement community, this law was repealed and it's back to the way it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,666,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I didn't watch the video but I bet it's an invalid argument if it's for the law that was created making a RD conviction extremely expensive. I don't recall exactly but it was mandatory that the fine was up in the thousands. After much backlash, including from the law enforcement community, this law was repealed and it's back to the way it was.
Which still stinks!

Old 08-25-2013, 05:52 PM

137 posts, read 277,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
you probably should have watched the video, then. the video isn't about the costs, it's about the law introduced in 2010 that states 20+ over and 80+ can be charged as a class 1 misdemeanor. it's not about the fines as i'm sure many people would rather pay some fines than be charged with something so outrageous as a misdemeanor for going 80 on the interstate. i'm trying really hard to rationalize it, but i can't. it's just too irrational. i would have to say that it's the most puzzling law that i've ever heard of. i'm sure there are other weird ones out there, but this has to be pretty far up there especially considering that virginia has areas where the speed limit is 70. so going 10 mph over the speed limit can be a misdemeanor.

what's even funnier is that half the states in the country have areas where speed limits are 75 or 80.

if i lived in virginia, i'd consider buying a smart car.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I think the reckless law works as intended.

Every time I get up close to 80, a little bell goes off in my head. I ask myself....is it worth all the BS involved if I get caught? Is the slight gain in time worth the risk?

Then I pull my foot the hell out of it.
of course it's going to work lol. i'm sure they could just make RD going 70 and over and it would work, but that doesn't make it right.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:25 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,783,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swishplace View Post
it's not about the fines as i'm sure many people would rather pay some fines than be charged with something so outrageous as a misdemeanor for going 80 on the interstate.
Really, when you think about it, it is still about ponying up the money, it's just that you have to pay part of it to a lawyer to get the ticket reduced in court. Pay to play - the best system money can buy - very American, if you ask me

Old 08-25-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Really, when you think about it, it is still about ponying up the money, it's just that you have to pay part of it to a lawyer to get the ticket reduced in court. Pay to play - the best system money can buy - very American, if you ask me
lol yea. i should have said "rather pay high fines", but yea, i agree. alright, i'm kinda ready to move to other topics. this one is getting beat up. key lesson learned here...pay attention to other state's traffic laws because they could be much stricter than where you're from.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:48 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,751,858 times
Don't drive reckless, don't drive drunk, don't race, and don't shower.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:55 AM

513 posts, read 961,102 times
People still drive to redskin games? LMAO

55" 4K Sony TV, Monster 3D cable, surround sound or sit in traffic for 2 to 3 hours. Be around a bunch adults wearing jerseys and depending on your section are obnoxious and drunk. Or worse homer Cowboy fans.

Forget a Monday night game. Would rather drive to Nats game.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 6,747 times
Default Alexandria City Traffic Ticket

Hi all. I was hoping to get some thoughts on a traffic ticket I recently received in Alexandria.

The ticket was for "disregard of official sign" for turning right on red at the corner of Beauregard St. and Sanger Ave. (near the Mark Center). I was on Sanger approaching Beauregard...I stopped at the light, waited for traffic to clear, checked for pedestrians (there were none) and then turned right. A couple of seconds after the turn, I was pulled over. I truthfully did not know why I had been pulled when asked, but after the officer told me that there was a no right on red sign, I did a mental face palm because it then clicked that there was indeed a sign there. I wasn't distracted by my cell, radio, or other normal driver distractions. I didn't intentionally disregard the sign...I was simply not concentrating. Regardless of the reason, I recognize that I didn't follow the sign and that the officer was just doing his job when he wrote me the ticket. Other than this ticket, I have a spotless driving record and +3 driver points.

I know that this is a relatively minor offense that carries 3 points and stays on the record for 3 years. I know that most would not view it as too big of a deal, but I am uncertain how things like this might affect insurance and I am one of those people who makes it a point to keep a clean driving record. I am normally attentive on the road...I obey speed limits, I obey signs (even when DC drivers honk their horns at me), etc. etc.

Not being well educated on these things and the ins and outs of traffic court, I wanted to ask if you guys thought that I should just pay the ticket and move on, or if it was worth going to court and holding out hope for leniency. I have no plans to try and get out of it and I accept the fact that no matter the reason, I didn't obey the sign. I can pay the fine (cheap linens at the wedding it is...priorities), so its not really that part that bothers me the most...its the potential damage to my insurance rates and driving record. Any opinions and/or advice are welcome.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,129 times
I'd say pay the fine and move on. I did that once and was able to talk the officer to reduce to a warning only, since the sign wasn't on the light but off by the side of the sidewalk and a good distance from the corner...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia