Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 02:28 PM

12 posts, read 21,012 times

Advertisements

I've very recently received a job offer in Fairfax and wanted to ask for advice. I've searched this forum and haven't found anything that directly pertained, but apologies if I overlooked a thread that would answer my questions. We currently live outside Philly and although it's not far from the DC area, I have almost no knowledge of Northern Virginia other than my aunt and uncle used to live in Alexandria and 25 years ago I visited them and I've been there for work a bunch times but it's been in DC itself or to suburban office complexes when I've flown in/Amtrak'd in and been whisked away by a car.

General stats: married, both of us are about 40, 2 kids (6 & 3) who we would much prefer to send to public school as long as they're good and safe, we've lived around the country and internationally and are used to moving and meeting new people. Budget is pretty open. We'll rent at first and figure out if we like it and while we don't want to spend more than we have to, we'd like to get my 6 year old who will be entering 1st grade in fall '15 into the same school or at least district.

Our list of priorities, in general order:

-good schools
-short commute (my work tends to be long hours and include a decent amount travel and I'd like to see my kids as much as possible so I don't want to spend an hour daily each way commuting when I can spend that with the family).
-safety (but that tends to come with good schools)
-we'd like a sense of community with a downtown area (be that an old downtown or a newly built one, prefer old though) that people actually use. We don't need 3 star restaurants or fancy but we like when we can walk or have a short drive, park the car, grab a meal with or without the kids, walk to a park or to a bar or a coffee shop and maybe get some shopping done in between.

While looking over the boards I'm coming to the conclusion that there aren't really any small towns in NoVa. If these places help anyone to give an idea of what we like, and we've lived in a few of these places: Palo Alto, CA; Narberth, PA; Fairfield, CT; Marblehead, MA; Coconut Grove, Miami Fl. Now I understand if older towns like this don't exist in the burbs of DC but we are 100% willing to trade big houses and large lots in bland suburbia for more character in housing, small lots a downtown and a place where people are more real and actually live where they reside rather than it being a pure bedroom community.

We also don't like people who have a superiority complex and think that just because they make a high income and have a job that they think is great makes their feces smell like roses. I'm coming off of nearly 20 years working in private equity (think the worst of the Wall St jerk stereotype) working with and living amongst smug a**es and just don't want any more of it. It's one of the reason's I'm taking a job with a tech company-to get away from that ethos. To give everyone an idea, we were honestly looking in Seattle or Austin because they are laid back but the opportunity in Fairfax was just too interesting.

Any advice is well appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 02:31 PM

8,817 posts, read 15,255,356 times
Is the job in Fairfax City or somewhere in Fairfax County?

Old 03-08-2015, 02:40 PM

336 posts, read 375,922 times
Since you've said a short commute is a priority, you'll need to be more specific about your work location. Fairfax is a large county, and the DC metro area has some of the worst traffic in the country. Commuting via car can easily take 5+ minutes per mile depending on your location and the direction of the commute.

On the plus side, parts of Fairfax and Arlington are home to some of the best public schools in the country.

Last edited by VAGeek; 03-08-2015 at 03:04 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 03:25 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,338,654 times
NoVa does have small towns. Middleburg resembles Fairfield, CT so much, it's like a long lost twin. Both are horse towns as well. Middleburg has a downtown as well with no chains, just mom and pop shops all owned by individual owners. Great schools and old rustic beautiful homes as well. There is also some new construction if you want that but it's very few. Most of the homes are built in the 1800s and 1900s as well.

http://youtu.be/lRgNVSEkSqE

http://youtu.be/p18nU9LY89g

So what's your budget? And where is your job located?

Old 03-08-2015, 04:44 PM

9,864 posts, read 14,022,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
NoVa does have small towns. Middleburg resembles Fairfield, CT so much, it's like a long lost twin. Both are horse towns as well. Middleburg has a downtown as well with no chains, just mom and pop shops all owned by individual owners. Great schools and old rustic beautiful homes as well. There is also some new construction if you want that but it's very few. Most of the homes are built in the 1800s and 1900s as well.

http://youtu.be/lRgNVSEkSqE

http://youtu.be/p18nU9LY89g

So what's your budget? And where is your job located?
As your job is in Fairfax, Middleburg would not be a "short" commute. I know, I live there.

As this is #2 on your list of requirements, I think you should view Middleburg as a "nice place to visit".

Old 03-08-2015, 04:59 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,372,953 times
Fairfax City or Fairfax County? And if Fairfax County where in the county? There's the western portion (Chantilly, Reston, Vienna, McLean) and the eastern portion (Lorton, Springfield) Depending on which side of the county you work on, you may also want to live on that side of the county/NoVA as well to have a decent commute.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:16 PM

My apologies, as I said I'm completely ignorant of the area. Fairfax City, although when I put it on Google Maps it shows up in Merrifield. Basically the intersection of 66 & 495.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:22 PM

15,119 posts, read 27,611,191 times
How did you come up with Fairfax City as opposed to Fairfax County?

Old 03-08-2015, 05:42 PM

@flamingo13: The address says "Fairfax, 22031" and in interviews they've called it Fairfax. I assumed that means Fairfax City rather than Reston, etc. Like I said, I'm completely clueless about the area. I took Amtrak into Union Station and was picked up by a car and taken directly to their office twice and met with their board in NYC and downtown DC. Other than that I have no experience with the DC burbs except for visiting my aunt and uncle in Alexandria >25 years ago.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:58 PM

9,864 posts, read 14,022,838 times
You didn't talk budget, but I'd seriously consider the downtown Vienna area. Close to your work, and mostly meets your community requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia