Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 05:11 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
LOL, I do the same, but at least the emails I get are based on the criteria I specified and I've been in my new home 6 months too. It's interesting to see what has happened to the many homes we saw when we were first looking (and to see what comes on the market).
I'm extra bad, because my emails are for a city where I didn't even end up (about 80 miles away) and yet I still go through them to see what's new
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 03:38 PM

349 posts, read 1,430,625 times
My only concern is that my realtor will negotiate pretty ruthlessly on my behalf; with good ethics of course. Basically I want my realtor to behave the way my lawyer would behave for me. Earn your paycheck.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:40 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
I want a realtor with proven references
I want a realtor that knows the area intimately
I want a realtor that will return my calls on the same day
I want a realtor that projects a professional image
I want a realtor that doesn't bring his or her children to showings of my home
I want a realtor that will conduct Open Houses
I want a realtor to be present at all showing - no lock boxes
I want a realtor that can put a marketing piece together on my home with a good photograph and no grammatical errors
I want an MSL listing that is well written and again, without any grammatical errors
I want the realtor that I contracted with to work with me, not their assistant
For those services, I'll pay full commission.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:18 AM

12 posts, read 70,255 times
Default Realtor

Thanks. I am taking my notes! I went into the real estate profession for many reasons...one of which was to give to my clients what I felt was extremely lacking when I used a realtor...communication. I think that is the basis of any good consumer relationship...you just cant go wrong. I also feel that integrity and compassion are key too. I try my hardest to give back to people what I expect. Sometimes I may fail but I know in my heart that my intentions are to always live by those rules.
Keep the info coming...I do appreciate it!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:02 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
I agree with the other posters about communication and listening and respecting your client's request. These are just some observations of do's and don'ts that I've experienced as a client (in no particular order):
1) If you are given a specific criteria of the home the buyer is looking for, including location(s) and price range, do not just provide a daily email with a "dump" of all new listings. I can find all that myself by going online.
2) Be easily accessible to a client. Emails and phone calls should be returned promptly. Stay in touch even if there isn't regular activity.
3) Make the most efficient use of a client's time when looking at homes. Be on time and map out the best route to visit the homes. This is particularly helpful when someone is doing a househunting trip.
4) For families not living in the area, it is a big help if you can "preview" a new listing to see if it's worth seeing based on client's criteria.
5) Don't push a higher priced home even if the client can afford it. If he/she gives you a price range, respect it.
6) As a professional, I expect and appreciate your answers to my specific questions about neighborhoods, commuting times, schools, etc.
7) Try to get the best deal for me as a client when reviewing an offer/counter-offer or presenting an offer.
8) If selling a home for a client who is out-of-town, make sure the home presents well--make the necessary arrangements to have the lawn mowed and the home cleaned regularly (even if your client pays for it). Visit it regularly to make sure everything is in order.
9) Take good photos of the home and market it aggressively when selling.
This is great! You could teach a class for new agents, each point is excellent, especially #5. I think that pushing people to buy above their means is one of the reasons (along with mortgage brokers with their "stated income" and "no doc" loans) that we saw such a high run up in prices in the past.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:55 PM

621 posts, read 3,205,348 times
I recently just saw my realtor in action and loved it. I am a very laid back person, who doesn't want to ruffle anyones feathers, but usually to get a great deal feathers are going to be ruffled.
I was putting a contract down on a house this weekend, and she was on the top of her game. She continually questioned the sales consultant and was over her shoulder when the contract was being written. She was aggressive. The complete opposite of me . That is one of the main things I look for. I want someone who will fight for what I want. I want a knowledgable realtor that knows all about the ins and outs of the legal mumbo jumbo of contracts and such. So that's what I would say, aggressive and knowledgable are my two top priorities.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:33 PM

11 posts, read 58,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
So that's what I would say, aggressive and knowledgable are my two top priorities.
I'd have to second "knowledgeable." Back in 2002, when the market was still very hot in the NOVA area, I was looking for my first home (a condo). I really liked one and put a contract on it. I later found out that I had lost, due to an escalation clause. Since I'm not a realtor, I didn't know what that was, but what's worse, is that my realtor was new to that concept as well!

Eventually I found another condo, but I was not "in love" with it, like the first one I found.

I felt that I was a burden, like I was wasting my realtor's time. Also, she would not drive me around to look at homes. I felt like she didn't like me in her nice Mercedes SUV.

So, I look for experience and true customer care in a realtor.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:24 AM

96 posts, read 435,923 times
blinkf16, are you famaliar with fairfax county area?...I need nova realitor...My husband just started a job at the DOJ in DC and is currently renting an apart in Alexandria, VA. We need to move to the area by end of summer. We have a 6 year old so school, affordable housing and decent commute are top priority with a starting income of 125000. Please feel free to send me a private msg to discuss further
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia