Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,668 times

Advertisements

My husband is possibly being transferred to Arlington. We are hoping to rent a place until we find a house/condo to buy. Our rental budget will be a measly 1750 a month and house budget 275,000. We have two very young children so safety is a top priority. We are very open to city or suburb locations. We would love to have a lot of amentities. Not afraid of fixer-uppers or foreclosures. Do you have any suggestions on locations that sound good for us?

On a side note.. Can I get a quick explanation on the commute. I grew up in the desert of Southern California so public transit is not something I'm familiar with. I understand there is a metro, but how far out if the city does it go? Is driving into the city during work hours realistic? Any info. would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 02:31 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,433 times
Your house budget is very unrealistic.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:43 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
You won't live anywhere close enough to public transportation with that budget for it to make a difference. You should start looking in Loudoun County for places

Old 03-13-2015, 02:55 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,967 times
You are likely going to be very surprised to see how little house can be rent or bought with that budget. Housing prices here are more akin to coastal Southern California or the Bay Area. I'm not sure you could find anything in Arlington County for that money. There are parts of Fairfax County where you might be able to find an older, small TH for that type of money. I just searched zip code 22153 (where I live) and did find 4 older, smaller THs that are going for $275k or less, but they are quite small - all around a 1,000 sq. ft. and about 40 years old.

There are a lot of commuting options in the area whether it be Metro, commuter buses, VRE, vanpools, slugging, etc. Unlike Southern California, many people use public transportation to get to work, even professionals. Metro is the option that everyone thinks of first, but there are other options that can provide good commutes as well. Of course, keep in mind that the further out you go, while housing will get cheaper (generally speaking), your commute time and cost will increase. Oftentimes, the money saved on housing gets partially eaten up by the increased commuting costs.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 3,668 times
That's what I was afraid of. I figured the houses that were in our budget were priced low for multiple offers. His job reimburses commuting costs but the time away from family is of course important. Thank you very much for your responses. We knew this was going to be very tough. This move is not ideal but it will be vital for his career.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:41 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriannaLee_1 View Post
Do you have any suggestions on locations that sound good for us?
The question is how important is home ownership to you? I doubt you will be able to afford a home within 20 miles of Arlington in a nice area given your budget. To move where you could afford would result in a one hour commute and a ton of money spent on gas.

If you are willing to rent you could likely find a townhouse not too far or maybe even inside the beltway. You might be able to buy a townhouse for $275K, but as has been stated it will be 40+ years old.

One big issue is that even a 1/5 acre lot is worth more than the structure on it so what you have are a lot of companies buying older forecloses/fix uppers and tearing them down to rebuild expensive McMansions in their place. This is especially prevalent in Arlington County.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:43 PM

91 posts, read 111,453 times
Ditto to everything pp's said. You are going to have a really tough time with that budget but take a look at Lake Ridge (22192). The townhouses are older and in general are already starting to creep past your budget but you can use the PRTC bus line to get to the Pentagon metro stop then metro to wherever you're going. It can get expensive and the commute will be long (did it ourselves at one point) but 22192 is a nice area with still good schools and perhaps a good starting point.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:00 PM

24 posts, read 50,934 times
Check townhouses in Fairlington. You might be able to get something not updated for close to your rental budget, with your kids sharing a bedroom. There are buses to Pentagon, and the area is very family friendly.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:57 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb88 View Post
Check townhouses in Fairlington. You might be able to get something not updated for close to your rental budget, with your kids sharing a bedroom. There are buses to Pentagon, and the area is very family friendly.
This would be a could area if you can get it. The Pentagon has a Metro station that has multiple lines and is very convenient. I wish you luck.

Overall I think this is a good area. There seem to be a lot of people walking, jogging and biking around in the evenings.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:19 AM

707 posts, read 1,408,211 times
For $1750 you might be able to get a one bedroom apt in a decent neighborhood, you definitely need to reconsider living in Arlington if that's all you can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia