U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 08:54 PM

274 posts, read 146,710 times

Advertisements

Hi all, so I currently rent an apartment in Annandale and work in Reston. I have been looking at condos in Sterling Park, you can get a 1 bedroom condo for $110k - $120k (Pembrook of Loudon). Cheap price, low condo fee and the metro will be 15 minutes away in a few years.

Now I have been reading a lot of mixed things about that area on here. I have looked at condos during the day and the area looked pretty safe, the demographics seemed close to those of Annandale. The surrounding areas around Sterling Park are much seem to be much nicer compared to Annandale which is maybe why there more be more criticism on the Sterling Park area?

I grew up in the Annandale area, frequently shopped around the Baileys Crossroads area, 7 corners, Loehmans, Eden Center etc and felt completely safe. Is Sterling Park really any worse than those areas? I thought it looked even nicer than the Culmore area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 04:46 AM

6,550 posts, read 10,821,552 times
FYI it's Loudoun. I can't speak of this neighborhood and how safe it is but you shouldn't judge by appearances during the daytime. When I was a police officer I worked in all the worse neighborhoods at nighttime. Drug dealing and anything else you can think of. When I would work dayshift I would go to these same neighborhood and they were often quite peaceful in appearance. You might want to ride through them on a nice weekend night and if you can find a local police officer you should ask them. Most departments have policies about not being able to talk about neighborhoods in an official capacity but many officers will tell someone in private what they think of the place.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:47 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,814,776 times
Not familiar with Sterling Park so much, but I have heard that more than crime/safety its the schools zoned to Sterling Park that are the problem. Likely due to higher % of ESL students.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:02 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,621,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
FYI it's Loudoun. I can't speak of this neighborhood and how safe it is but you shouldn't judge by appearances during the daytime. When I was a police officer I worked in all the worse neighborhoods at nighttime. Drug dealing and anything else you can think of. When I would work dayshift I would go to these same neighborhood and they were often quite peaceful in appearance. You might want to ride through them on a nice weekend night and if you can find a local police officer you should ask them. Most departments have policies about not being able to talk about neighborhoods in an official capacity but many officers will tell someone in private what they think of the place.
I'll second this opinion. Visit the neighborhood after school to see what the kids get up to when their parents aren't around. Go on nice weekends when you'll see adults out walking, washing their cars, doing yard work, etc. Most will speak frankly about the neighborhood. Certainly speak to any officer you see, they are often pretty frank and have some funny stories to tell. Personally, I like the neighborhood, it is very convenient to shopping, grocery store, public transportation.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:10 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,184,164 times
I lived in the Sterling area (off Drainesville and then in Dominion Station) the 10 years I lived in the area. Pembrook was the place to stay away from during that time. Granted we moved away almost 9 years ago but that wasn't the place to live or visit.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 AM

170 posts, read 144,667 times
I grew up in Sterling Park and recently moved to Annandale (for work). I agree, they feel very similar. Lots of working class people. I always liked the layout of Pembrook and the design of the buildings and the location is great. There are redevelopment proposal out there for updating the shopping center and the fire station is right across the street. Most of the Loudoun posters on here are looking at Ashburn/Aldie/Brambleton/Leesburg/etc. (and seeking the racial/class makeup that goes along with that), so take a lot of those posts with a grain of salt. I love Sterling for what it is and it's definitely an influence on me living in Annandale.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:47 AM

274 posts, read 146,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffx rez View Post
I grew up in Sterling Park and recently moved to Annandale (for work). I agree, they feel very similar. Lots of working class people. I always liked the layout of Pembrook and the design of the buildings and the location is great. There are redevelopment proposal out there for updating the shopping center and the fire station is right across the street. Most of the Loudoun posters on here are looking at Ashburn/Aldie/Brambleton/Leesburg/etc. (and seeking the racial/class makeup that goes along with that), so take a lot of those posts with a grain of salt. I love Sterling for what it is and it's definitely an influence on me living in Annandale.
Thanks for the reply! I checked it out at last night, went walking around and felt completely safe. Got some Peruvian chicken at the shopping center over there, yumm. I could see how on a Friday/Saturday night that area could be a little sketchy if you're a female walking alone. As a Annandalian and someone who lived in Richmond for a couple years, that area seems pretty safe.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:04 PM

446 posts, read 1,221,697 times
I used to live in Pembrook. I thought the place was kind of dumpy. We moved here from the Midwest and needed a place to live for a few months while our house back there sold. Couldn't wait to get out of Pembrook and for that matter Sterling Park.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:22 PM

12,805 posts, read 6,135,384 times
Sterling Park has gone downhill during the last 10 years---and that saddens me. Last I read, these days Guilford Elementary School can't even get full accreditation. There are lots of flophouses in the area. I'm hoping that when the silver line gets there, things will improve for the better.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:47 PM

7 posts, read 4,590 times
I don't know if it's a stretch pricewise but you can get a two bedroom condo on lake anne in Reston for around $200k. Good neighborhood, the shops are being rennovated so it's still appreciating.

I had a three bedroom that with my note and HOA fees cost me about $1600 a month. However, the HOA fees included all Utilities except for cable/internet so it's deceptively high. My neighbors had a two bedroom they rented out and apparently the demand is super high if you ever decide to hold onto it but move elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or