U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 02:40 PM

518 posts, read 781,910 times

Advertisements

Quick question. If I am hit by an uninsured motorist in VA, can I take said uninsured motorist to court for my deductible and any other costs I incur?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 03:39 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,426,061 times
I'm not sure why you couldn't, but I sort of doubt it would be worth the time and effort, especially since they were uninsured. Chances are, they'll never show up to court and, even if they do and you win, they probably won't have the money to pay you. Moreover, determining liability in auto accidents, especially once a court gets involved, is not always real clear cut. Aside from rear endings, most accidents are really mixed fault to one degree or another.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:33 PM

13,024 posts, read 19,840,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
Quick question. If I am hit by an uninsured motorist in VA, can I take said uninsured motorist to court for my deductible and any other costs I incur?
If the accident is their fault, sure. If you want to sue just because they didn't have insurance, I don't think so. However, I am not a lawyer.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:41 PM

2,670 posts, read 4,517,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
Why not talk with your insurance agent about this?

With some policies, if you are not at fault you don't pay the deductible; the other party is responsible for all of your damages. However, if this is a turnip from which you can't get blood/$, then you could discuss options with the agent.

See also:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unins...otorist_clause

Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 AM

504 posts, read 1,023,734 times
Besides seeking damage compensation, what else can be done? Can DMV pull this driver's license for operating a vehicle without insurance?

Old 03-18-2015, 06:37 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,426,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
Besides seeking damage compensation, what else can be done? Can DMV pull this driver's license for operating a vehicle without insurance?
Unless Virginia has an anomalous court system, brining a claim against another motorist for damages would be a civil action. In such an action, the court is not going to have any ability to suspend a license. That would need to be done in a traffic or criminal court, and those actions are brought by the commonwealth, not fellow drivers. Unless a responding police officer ticketed the uninsured driver, I'm guessing the DMV would not take any action.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:27 AM

7,921 posts, read 9,628,692 times
Quote:
Technically, you are allowed to operate a vehicle in VA without insurance; but you are required to pay a $500 "Uninsured" fee to the DMV. This is not insurance, and you are still personally liable for damages or injuries.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:58 AM

504 posts, read 1,023,734 times
So what does this "uninsured" fee go and do? But I highly doubt any uninsured driver would be willing to declare him/herself as having no insurance and volunteering to pay that fee.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:10 PM

160 posts, read 175,568 times
Quote:
So what does this "uninsured" fee go and do? But I highly doubt any uninsured driver would be willing to declare him/herself as having no insurance and volunteering to pay that fee.
It penalizes those who don't buy insurance. The DMV's electronic database compares its records with those of insurance companies operating in the Commonwealth. While I suppose someone might squeak by for a month or three, eventually those who don't have insurance on their vehicles will be found.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:43 PM

48 posts, read 45,863 times
Aren't alot of the illegal immigrants driving without licenses, thus no insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia