Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 06:55 AM

601 posts, read 592,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I have read some terrible reviews about Southern Towers. Has that not been your experience there?

OP, keep in mind that VDOT is in the process of building an HOV exit at Seminary Road right now that will open in September. If you want to live further out, I would suggest finding somewhere along 95/395 and try slugging or take the free shuttle from the Springfield Metro. You usually can find some cheap places in Springfield and that would be like a 15 minute commute in the HOV lanes on the shuttle.
Apartment reviews tend to lean toward terrible, unless you live in a super-luxe building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:03 AM

27 posts, read 35,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
I drive from Woodbridve to Mark Center, takes about 45 minutes, its not that bad. And I got a parking pass no problem for free, maybe they charge contractors? There is plenty of parking available.
oh ok...45 minutes is not a bad ride, I can live with that. I wish it would be free for me also...I guess contractors do have to pay for parking...not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
I'm in Southern Towers right across the street, renting a studio for $945 per month. I have a cat now so it's really $965. It would be the best commute ever if I worked there.
I just googled South Towers...doesn't seem to get good reviews. What is your experience living there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I would go with Southern Towers and walk across the street. Saves on gas, time, and aggravation.
I would definitely love to live across the street from my job lol. I could just walk to work and not have to drive at all...and that would be lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I am confused, Annandale should be fairly reasonable and have a good commute to Mark Center. I would also looking into renting Condos.

Really it depends on how old you are. If you are younger and single I would look to stay closer into the city. There is just a lot more to do.

Seven Corners area is pretty walkable now and has bus service to several metro stops including Ballston and Pershing Drive and Washington Blvd right outside of Clarendon.

Annandale is not as walkable but should be affordable. Maybe I am out of touch.
Annandale is affordable for me, but I have noticed the more I move away from D.C...the more bang for my buck I receive. I just moved here from Tennessee and I want to AT LEAST have a basement apartment with my own everything and not have any roommates where I share kitchen, etc. Im a single male, but not used to having roommates. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I have read some terrible reviews about Southern Towers. Has that not been your experience there?

OP, keep in mind that VDOT is in the process of building an HOV exit at Seminary Road right now that will open in September. If you want to live further out, I would suggest finding somewhere along 95/395 (maybe Woodbridge?) and try slugging or take the free shuttle from the Springfield Metro. You usually can find some cheap places in Springfield and that would be like a 15 minute commute in the HOV lanes on the shuttle.
My Project Manager told me majority of the people who work on my contract take the shuttle from Pentagon or Springfield metros...but I would still have to pay for parking there. I would rather pay for parking in the building Im working in instead of pay for parking AND have to take a shuttle.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:14 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Apartment reviews tend to lean toward terrible, unless you live in a super-luxe building.
Not really. I look for keywords like mice and roaches because I would never live in such a building. I don't really care about bad reviews concerning parking or unfriendly front desk people. I have found several older buildings with great reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdZDuBZ View Post
My Project Manager told me majority of the people who work on my contract take the shuttle from Pentagon or Springfield metros...but I would still have to pay for parking there. I would rather pay for parking in the building Im working in instead of pay for parking AND have to take a shuttle.
Well it's cheaper than Mark Center parking and much faster. Do you have experience driving on 95/395 during rush hour?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:16 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,535 times
Quote:
Annandale is affordable for me, but I have noticed the more I move away from D.C...the more bang for my buck I receive. I just moved here from Tennessee and I want to AT LEAST have a basement apartment with my own everything and not have any roommates where I share kitchen, etc. Im a single male, but not used to having roommates. :-)
I purchased a condo in Seven Corners in the mid 90's and lived there until just recently. I could have afforded more farther out but it is a very convenient area and has reasonable transit to most areas where the jobs are as well as Arlington and downtown for social life.

There are several areas like that and I would much rather be closer to the city than move farther out and have gas prices go up and eat into my budget or chance getting another contract that is in DC or Reston and dread my commute.

I have a friend who is educated and had a good job with a very specialized skill set. He purchased a town home west of Reston and was happy for a while. His company went under and the only job he could find was just south of Baltimore. He had to do that commute every day. Think about your next job as well.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 AM

601 posts, read 592,501 times
Quote:
Pentagon has no parking, but Springfield has lots. This would be a good option. Lots of people take shuttles to work, to metro - it is a necessity out here.

Not sure how quickly the Springfield station parking spaces fill up, though.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:15 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,783,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Not sure how quickly the Springfield station parking spaces fill up, though.
It doesn't fill up. Since moving here in 2012, I have never, not once, been unable to find a parking space in the Franconia-Springfield Metro garage. Sometimes you need to go to one of the upper levels, but there is always available parking. And, I have arrived at various times of the morning from very early to mid-morning to late morning to early afternoon.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:34 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,225,940 times
Quote:
Hi Guys/Gals,

I will be starting my new job as a contractor at the Mark Center in about 2 weeks. I currently live in Annandale, but I want to move to a lower cost of living area where I can get more bang for my buck. I was thinking about moving to Woodbridge, but not sure if that would be a viable option?

I'm looking for my commute to not be more than 40 minutes to and from work. My hours are from 930a-6p. The places I was thinking of possibly moving to were: Woodbridge, Lorton, Fairfax Station, Chantilly, Fairfax or any other suggestions that are farther (cheaper) from DC.

I'm looking to rent and not buy. I would be living by myself and am looking to rent a basement apartment

Thanks!

** I also plan on parking at the Mark Center and they told me parking would be 100 bucks a month. I am ok with that amount, but I saw some older posts about a waiting list and possibly there being no parking available at the Mark Center?
Most of my Mark Center co-workers who live farther out (such as Woodbridge) either:
1. Get into work around 6 or 7 AM and have a 30-40 minute commute.
or
2. Get into work around 8 or 9 and have a longer-lasting commute.
or
3. Work "core hours" and get into work around 10, to avoid sitting in traffic as much.

Option 2 looks like your work hours. At 10 AM I looked out at the 395 exit to Seminary Rd. It's very backed up and taking cars about 8 to 10 minutes to travel the length of the Mark Center building up to the light at the top of the ramp, at Seminary. By the time that light turns green, there are (at 10:30 now) 60+ cars lined up for it - and it's worse at 9 in the morning.

I'd never heard of parking fees for anyone, but maybe that's the policy of your agency. Parking pass availability can differ by agency. Some people get put on a waiting list and I think this is due to the agency's availability, too.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:11 PM

27 posts, read 35,787 times
so I guess Im gonna stay in Annandale until I can get an earlier shift like 6am and then I could move a little bit farther. Would, at least, Fairfax be an ok of a commute?

Old 03-19-2015, 08:51 PM

754 posts, read 1,738,717 times
I dont know the cost but check apartments and rentals in Kingstowne (zip 22315), you can commute from there driving without getting on the interstate or if you can walk to the metro take the shuttle (shuttle may be free for contractors but check).

Old 03-20-2015, 06:52 AM

1,110 posts, read 895,403 times
Quote:
so I guess Im gonna stay in Annandale until I can get an earlier shift like 6am and then I could move a little bit farther. Would, at least, Fairfax be an ok of a commute?
You could live anywhere off the metro, and take it to the Pentagon. The Pentagon has free shuttles to Mark Center every 15 minutes. There are also FREE Metro buses to Mark Center. See

Getting to the Mark Center | Washington Headquarters Services Make sure that you check out all tabs. There are also commuter bus options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia