U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:51 AM

601 posts, read 438,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdZDuBZ View Post
so I guess Im gonna stay in Annandale until I can get an earlier shift like 6am and then I could move a little bit farther. Would, at least, Fairfax be an ok of a commute?
That sounds like a good plan. I know that you'd like to hear that Woodbridge will be a fine commute, but in my experience, 95>>395 was the longest, most aggravating commute in rush hour that I have ever had. Never again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 12:41 PM

188 posts, read 150,252 times
Have you checked National Harbor area?

Old 03-21-2015, 09:19 AM

2,282 posts, read 5,570,810 times
Quote:
Hi Guys/Gals,

I will be starting my new job as a contractor at the Mark Center in about 2 weeks. I currently live in Annandale, but I want to move to a lower cost of living area where I can get more bang for my buck...... I saw some older posts about a waiting list and possibly there being no parking available at the Mark Center?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
I'm in Southern Towers right across the street, renting a studio for $945 per month. I have a cat now so it's really $965. It would be the best commute ever if I worked there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I would go with Southern Towers and walk across the street. Saves on gas, time, and aggravation.
Friends have lived in Southern Towers for years.
If you adore multiculturalism, ST is for you. Its like every United Nations employee lives there. Just walking thru the lobby, you'll hear several languages from residents literally all over the world. Lily white Nordics to Central African nationals. Appears to be mostly white collar professionals but thats my observation. Single women live there so that speaks to its safety.
Parking is a breeze, there are several convenience stores on campus (ST is made up of several towers) think 711, Dry Cleaning, barbershop, etc. There are at least 2 outdoor pools, playgrounds for the many little kids, BBQ stands, etc. Its a breeze to DC and VA compared to other similarly located rentals.

The bad:
Laundry facilities. I'm not sure if there are rooms per floor or all concentrated in the basement but you won't have it in your apt.
No Heat/AC control: you cannot control the heat or the AC. The temperature is controlled in the basement for the whole building. You cannot put an AC window unit in your apt. either. There is a "Cooler-->Warmer" gauge in your apt but it does nothing. You'll need fans in the summer.
Haven't seen bugs or vermin. But I have seen garbage in the loading dock pile up.
You'll have 2+ elevators per tower. Expect only one running regularly- you will never be without one elevator tho'.
I would live there if I were in my 20's/30's and single/just married.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:56 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,861,826 times
Southern Towers was paradise back in the early 70's. Hundreds of young, single "government girls" had pads there. Whole floors would throw their doors open during huge parties. I woke up at Southern Towers quite a number of times....

They used to call it Sin City back in the day.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Southern Towers was paradise back in the early 70's. Hundreds of young, single "government girls" had pads there. Whole floors would throw their doors open during huge parties. I woke up at Southern Towers quite a number of times....

They used to call it Sin City back in the day.
Ha! That sounds very 'MadMen' lol!

Old 03-21-2015, 03:38 PM

27 posts, read 24,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampg1 View Post
Have you checked National Harbor area?
I havent checked that area, but I will see what they have out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Friends have lived in Southern Towers for years.
If you adore multiculturalism, ST is for you. Its like every United Nations employee lives there. Just walking thru the lobby, you'll hear several languages from residents literally all over the world. Lily white Nordics to Central African nationals. Appears to be mostly white collar professionals but thats my observation. Single women live there so that speaks to its safety.
Parking is a breeze, there are several convenience stores on campus (ST is made up of several towers) think 711, Dry Cleaning, barbershop, etc. There are at least 2 outdoor pools, playgrounds for the many little kids, BBQ stands, etc. Its a breeze to DC and VA compared to other similarly located rentals.

The bad:
Laundry facilities. I'm not sure if there are rooms per floor or all concentrated in the basement but you won't have it in your apt.
No Heat/AC control: you cannot control the heat or the AC. The temperature is controlled in the basement for the whole building. You cannot put an AC window unit in your apt. either. There is a "Cooler-->Warmer" gauge in your apt but it does nothing. You'll need fans in the summer.
Haven't seen bugs or vermin. But I have seen garbage in the loading dock pile up.
You'll have 2+ elevators per tower. Expect only one running regularly- you will never be without one elevator tho'.
I would live there if I were in my 20's/30's and single/just married.
Yea, Im going to set an appointment to check Southern Towers out. Cant beat having your job right across the street from your apartment. :-)

Old 03-21-2015, 03:44 PM

So, if I lived at the South Towers apartments, I could literally walk to work?

Old 03-21-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
So, if I lived at the South Towers apartments, I could literally walk to work?
Yes, 10 min leisure walk up the hill to work.
Can you imagine a lunchtime swim in June? Fabulous!
Maybe someone could speak about lunchtime food trucks at Mark? I seem to remember there are many choices of trucks there--can pick up dinner too!

Old 03-21-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Yes, 10 min leisure walk up the hill to work.
Can you imagine a lunchtime swim in June? Fabulous!
Maybe someone could speak about lunchtime food trucks at Mark? I seem to remember there are many choices of trucks there--can pick up dinner too!
I read the reviews and they seem pretty bad for Southern Towers, but I'm going to check the place out tomorrow to see. I can judge for myself how the place is and If I see residents there I will ask to see what they think.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I read the reviews and they seem pretty bad for Southern Towers, but I'm going to check the place out tomorrow to see. I can judge for myself how the place is and If I see residents there I will ask to see what they think.
Excellent plan. Not that I have heard a complaint but run the water in the shower and see if it gets hot fast-plus ask a resident. Usually if an apt. building likes to be cheap, they'll be cheap and slow on a hot shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or