Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 09:08 PM

4,370 posts, read 7,016,278 times

Advertisements

You people are probably too young to remember when Metro had parking lot attendants - several of who stole (pocketed) thousands of dollars in cash paid by exiting motorists. Thanks to these dishonest attendants, now every metro parking lot user (even a tourist in town, parking for just a single day) has to pay a $ 5 surcharge to buy a smart-card.

Metrobusses are no better. The printed bus schedules are worthless fiction. On major downtown streets and avenues, instead of busses arriving every 3 or 4 minutes as published on the schedule....busses routinely bunch together in groups or caravans of several at a time, which means there are gaps of 15 or 20 minutes with no service. The drivers don't care, and the passengers are too illiterate to know how or where to complain to. This even happens on 7th street, just a block from Metro's headquarters building, for crying out loud. No one there even goes out to notice the badly out-of-synch busses that pass there all day long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 09:27 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,775,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
You people are probably too young to remember when Metro had parking lot attendants - several of who stole (pocketed) thousands of dollars in cash paid by exiting motorists. Thanks to these dishonest attendants, now every metro parking lot user (even a tourist in town, parking for just a single day) has to pay a $ 5 surcharge to buy a smart-card.
Smart trip cards now cost only $2 and that is quickly returned to you if you take 2 Metro trips since using a paper card incurs a $1 surcharge for each trip. Additionally, I can't speak to every Metro parking garage, but at Franconia-Springfield, you can pay with your smart trip card or with credit card.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:53 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Smart trip cards now cost only $2 and that is quickly returned to you if you take 2 Metro trips since using a paper card incurs a $1 surcharge for each trip. Additionally, I can't speak to every Metro parking garage, but at Franconia-Springfield, you can pay with your smart trip card or with credit card.
Just wait for the whining about the $2 charge for a SmarTrip card.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:16 AM

O.K. I stand corrected. Also, here is a link for the local ride-sharing program, if it helps (click below)

Page Redirection

Old 03-25-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cra2ybeautiful View Post
Simple. Metro hires incompetent people based on their own discrimination and they are allowed to get away with it. Those incompetent people run the metro system.
Metro derailed by culture of complacence, incompetence, lack of diversity - Washington Times

Wow- that was a really jaw-dropping read. The only thing more amazing than those statistics, is to think that no other news media dares to touch the subject with 10-foot pole and report the truth. Other news media make the excuse that Metro is an "aging system", but it's actually one of the newer transit systems in the USA. I notice, that was only the first article in the Times' series. Do you have the link to the later articles in the series? I was unable to pull them up on the Times website.

The entrenched network at WMATA really needs a thorough Federal investigation. Congress should not provide WMATA any more money until they provide more honesty and transparency to the public, and stop covering up.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:13 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,502,700 times
Who wants to pay with cash? It's 2015.

You should move to Philly if you dont like credit cards. They're still using coins and partying like it's 1930.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,009,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriex333 View Post
Thanks slamming, I read through that thread as well and agree with most everyone's complaint.

I want to know, what can be done about it? I've signed the change.org petition for the Blue line, and will vote when there's an opportunity. But what else can be done? Do we the people not have a voice?
There are thousands of metro riders who deal with this b...s...every day, forking over more money for less value.
Yes, Metro has a monopoly over the public transport system in the DC area, and that's why they don't improve. They have no incentive to, as the only game in town.

I suggest you look into "slug lines". Google it to find one near you. That's safer and cheaper than Metro.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:03 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,454,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Who wants to pay with cash? It's 2015.

You should move to Philly if you dont like credit cards. They're still using coins and partying like it's 1930.
I want to use cash. I try to use cash whenever possible. There are multiple reasons I choose to do so.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:16 AM

19,284 posts, read 9,383,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I want to use cash. I try to use cash whenever possible. There are multiple reasons I choose to do so.
You can add as many 20 dollar bills onto your SmarTrip card as you'd like but it's the SmarTrip card that is going to get you through the turnstiles [in most cases].

Old 03-27-2015, 12:08 PM

100 posts, read 129,726 times
Kinda off topic but I prefer cashless places as I almost never have cash. I was in SoFL recently and the tolls only took cash, sometimes $1-$13.60, yikes! I wonder what happens to cars who don't have a sunpass and no cash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia