U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2015, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Reston, VA
2,005 posts, read 3,528,323 times
Reputation: 1147

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant1234 View Post
Is it possible to commute from Fairfax Hospital to the western towns? Sorry I'm not really familiar with the area...
Purcellville to Inova Fairfax will be about one hour (maybe a little more) during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2015, 07:52 AM
 
7,928 posts, read 9,645,247 times
Reputation: 13944
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Purcellville to Inova Fairfax will be about one hour (maybe a little more) during rush hour.
It's only an hour if you are paying $5.10 (Dulles Greenway) plus $3.30 (Dulles Toll Road) for a total of $8.40 each way, every day.

So, for someone whose maximum budget is $1600 for a 3 bedroom, they aren't likely to embrace a $336 monthly toll charge that doesn't include gas or wear and tear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2015, 07:56 AM
 
4 posts, read 3,234 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for the responses. Would 1700-1800/ month work? If I don't get the job we would just stay here. I just want to get a feel for the area so if I do get the job we are prepared as I would onl have 4-6 weeks to make te move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2015, 08:02 AM
 
7,928 posts, read 9,645,247 times
Reputation: 13944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant1234 View Post
Thanks for the responses. Would 1700-1800/ month work? If I don't get the job we would just stay here. I just want to get a feel for the area so if I do get the job we are prepared as I would onl have 4-6 weeks to make te move.
Honestly, I'm not sure that would help too much. I own a three bedroom townhouse in one of the worst school districts in Sterling, and it rents for $1950/ mo. You will still likely have a very long commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2015, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Chester County, PA
1,077 posts, read 1,427,791 times
Reputation: 1033
Yeah, I think you're really going to need a budget of at least $2,500 per month to find a decent 3 BR rental within a reasonable commuting distance to Inova Fairfax, whether it be a TH, SFH, or an apartment. As spencgr stated, you could find some older, smaller THs typically zoned for lesser regarded schools for around $2,000 per month, but even with those, you're probably going to have at least a 30-45 minute commute. The simple fact of the matter is housing is quite expensive in this area. Unless you can up your rental budget, you're unlikely to find what you're looking for in NoVA - and, generally, NoVA has lots of suburban sprawl, not small town feel, although many people are quite happy with their individual neighborhoods or towns and the atmosphere therein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2015, 08:53 AM
 
519 posts, read 698,683 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Yeah, I think you're really going to need a budget of at least $2,500 per month to find a decent 3 BR rental within a reasonable commuting distance to Inova Fairfax, whether it be a TH, SFH, or an apartment. As spencgr stated, you could find some older, smaller THs typically zoned for lesser regarded schools for around $2,000 per month, but even with those, you're probably going to have at least a 30-45 minute commute. The simple fact of the matter is housing is quite expensive in this area. Unless you can up your rental budget, you're unlikely to find what you're looking for in NoVA - and, generally, NoVA has lots of suburban sprawl, not small town feel, although many people are quite happy with their individual neighborhoods or towns and the atmosphere therein.
You can probably find something for a little less than $2500/month. The 22152 zip code (West Springfield) has a lot of nice townhouses and would be a very easy commute (lots of choices of back roads to take so you never have to deal with the beltway, and you can get there in 20 minutes easily). The townhouses are older but generally very nice. Occasionally those will pop up for around $2000 or a little over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2015, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Reston, VA
2,005 posts, read 3,528,323 times
Reputation: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
The 22152 zip code (West Springfield) has a lot of nice townhouses and would be a very easy commute (lots of choices of back roads to take so you never have to deal with the beltway, and you can get there in 20 minutes easily). The townhouses are older but generally very nice. Occasionally those will pop up for around $2000 or a little over.
You forgot what the OP wants:
"What I want is a small town feel, slower pace, friendly people, family-friendly"

I don't know West Springfield, but don't think it and "small town" or "slower pace" go in the same sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 AM
 
519 posts, read 698,683 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
You forgot what the OP wants:
"What I want is a small town feel, slower pace, friendly people, family-friendly"

I don't know West Springfield, but don't think it and "small town" or "slower pace" go in the same sentence.
Actually it's quieter and more of a neighborhood feeling than a lot of areas. It's an older area, lots of trees, and a lot of families join the local swim clubs, which create very close knit groups and do a lot to making people feel like they're part of a small town. Obviously the OP will need to choose between commute, price, and optimal neighborhood. I'm trying to suggest something that is a great commute and not too far out of her price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2015, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
1,449 posts, read 2,802,026 times
Reputation: 471
yes, you need to up your rental budget. Maybe a TH in the around $2K range would get you into one of the better school districts. But, you probably want to up your budget to the $2200-2500 range to get into one of the single family neighborhoods.

If you can do that, I will say I like my neighborhood (Greenbriar) in 22033. You might also look in the surrounding areas of 20171 and 20151. I have driven to the area near Inova Fairfax before at rush hour and it wasn't as horrible as I expected - about a half hour. I have a neighbor that commutes to a school near there, and she says she can get there in 20 minutes (leaving a little earlier).

I think West Springfield and Burke are also options, as well as possibly City of Fairfax.

On even the increased budget, you aren't getting into the "best" districts, BUT middle of the road FCPS schools are pretty darn good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2015, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
1,338 posts, read 1,383,956 times
Reputation: 1226
I don't think you can get a small town feel in Fairfax County, not even Clifton. Small towns don't have rush hours that last 3 hours in the morning and evening and don't have 1.1 million people. And forget Fairfax City, Falls Church and the towns of Herndon and Vienna. Unless you consider a small town wall to wall cars and McMansions replacing post war homes - a small town feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:13 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top