U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:25 PM

5 posts, read 4,086 times

Advertisements

Hi, looking for some advice/input. We are a family of 5 relocating from Ohio, so needless to say the cost of living increase is being realized.

We are looking for an area with great schools and a young family environment as we will literally know no one.

We are hoping for a 3/2 rental under $2300/mo. including any HOA's and fees (Is this typically something the renter covers, I assume).

What seems to be a most fortunate turn of events for me is that I work from home and will have no daily commute through what seems to be described as a daily hell. My only desire is to be no less than 45 minutes away from Dulles or BWI as I will fly often.

Any suggestions? So far we have looked at Ashburn (Brambleton/Broadlands), Gainesville, Leesburg, and Centerville. Ashburn seems to have great schools and everything near by so we are leaning that way.

Are there any other "hidden" taxes or fees in the Ashburn area?

It seems from reading on here people are most helpful, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

-Esh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 01:14 AM

230 posts, read 186,559 times
Your rental budget is adequate. You might be able to squeak by with a large TH or older SFH. Most landlords cover the HOA fee.

Unlike Ohio, VA still has personal property taxes on cars, so don't buy an expensive vehicle.

Unlike Ohio, VA has a vehicle safety inspection program (besides smog), done yearly. They make sure that all your lights are working, no large cracks on windshield, your engine isn't falling out, wiper blades aren't shredded, etc. probably about $30 a year. If you've got an older car that needs things like engine mounts replaced, this can be expensive.

The hidden tax/fee is the use of the Dulles tollway, the only fast east/west through route in loudoun county. It's not even a tax because it's privately owned and the owners are out to make a profit. It's $4.05 and $3.15 per ride for peak and non peak hours respectively. You could take wax pool or possibly 7, but these can get annoyingly congested during peak hours. Especially as you approach 28 to get to IAD. During off hours, either of these routes are fine. If you are a high value employee, try to get your business to pay for tolls incurred via EZ Pass.

The commute from say Belmont ridge road in ashburn will take you 25-30 minutes to IAD taking free roads in the morning. Maybe half the time using the tollway.

Last edited by blindside; 03-28-2015 at 01:30 AM..

Old 03-28-2015, 01:28 AM

230 posts, read 186,559 times
If you work at home but travel often, it seems your only requirement is to be near an airport. What's the draw to northern VA?

Old 03-28-2015, 05:25 AM

3,886 posts, read 5,336,934 times
Use the search feature and read up on Purcellville. It's a town in Western Loudoun so you're within the 45 minutes to Dulles. Very "Mayberry" -- parades, scouts, sports leagues etc.
Not a planned community like Ashburn but there are newer developments with similar houses.

Best of luck

Old 03-28-2015, 05:29 AM

2,005 posts, read 3,527,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
The hidden tax/fee is the use of the Dulles tollway, the only fast east/west through route in loudoun county. It's not even a tax because it's privately owned and the owners are out to make a profit. It's $4.05 and $3.15 per ride for peak and non peak hours respectively.
According to the online toll calculator, tolls are $6.20 (rush hour) and $5.30 (non-rush hour).
Dulles Greenway

I call it the highway robbery road!

Old 03-28-2015, 05:40 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,642,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
According to the online toll calculator, tolls are $6.20 (rush hour) and $5.30 (non-rush hour).
Dulles Greenway

I call it the highway robbery road!
No, it's $5.20 and $4.30 (non-rush). It just appears as $6.20 when you exit at the main plaza, because they are also collecting the $1.00 for the Dulles Toll Road. The cost of the Greenway, itself, is $5.20/ $4.30.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:27 AM

13,028 posts, read 19,856,763 times
Ashburn is a good option. It only takes me 15 minutes to get to the airport. 20+ in heavy traffic, and 8 to 10 minutes on the Greenway (toll).

Old 03-28-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
If you work at home but travel often, it seems your only requirement is to be near an airport. What's the draw to northern VA?
My territory runs from Richmond to Maine. Ill have someone covering the New England area and someone covering NYC so Northern Va seemed to be a good fit. I have also considered MD. Looked at Frederick but, I got the feeling Ashburn/Northern Va seemed a nicer area...not sure if that assumption is correct or not.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:02 AM

Wow. That seems fairly expensive for tolls. I'm not as concerned as my company will pay for the EZPASS.

My concern would be for my wife. She stays at home with our three kids. Would she be able to get to stores/parks/schools and daily activities without accessing the toll road? Or is it the main artery to get anywhere?

Old 03-28-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Use the search feature and read up on Purcellville. It's a town in Western Loudoun so you're within the 45 minutes to Dulles. Very "Mayberry" -- parades, scouts, sports leagues etc.
Not a planned community like Ashburn but there are newer developments with similar houses.

Best of luck
Ok. Great thanks for the input. I'll look into it. I'm assuming it has good schools? It seems like most areas within LC have good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia