U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 01:16 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,612,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
Has anyone else heard about this new policy (which is not announced on the Giant website)?

Last week, I was picking up a few things at a Giant in Lake Ridge and asked if paper bags were back in stock. Giant had been out of them for a few weeks, and we use them to hold our paper recycling. The cashier referred by question to the manager, who happened to be right there.

The manager said that Giant was in the middle of a three part transition in their bag policy. The first part, which occurred a few months ago, was to do away with the $.05 per bag discount for bringing your own bags. The second part was to no longer stock and offer paper bags. The third part, which will apparently occur sometime in the next few months, will be to start charging for plastic bags.

I know that there are some municipalities (such as D.C.) that mandate charges for plastic bags, and that there are stores (such as Aldi) for which this is part of their business model. However, is anyone else aware of a large chain store that has elected to go this route voluntarily? If this is implemented, would it affect your shopping habits?

Unfortunately, I was too surprised by the manager's answer to press for details, such as the proposed cost and the quality of the bags (the bags that Aldi sells are of much higher quality than the ones in Giant or Safeway), and she may not have known the answer anyway.

I don't mean to start a debate over the merits and downsides of plastic/paper/reusable bags. However, I thought the C-D community might be interested to hear this, and wondered if somebody could confirm this change at their local Giant.
I usually just go to Food Lion more often when I need something quick, this is just even more of an incentive to go there. I don't get this one at all. Giant is going to put themselves out of business. There are too many grocery store chains with better quality for them to do things like this to their customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 01:19 PM

11,471 posts, read 4,854,725 times
A lot of places have programs like this in place, it's really not a big deal. You can always bring your own if it's an issue. I am sure that everyone who has used those bags before, has a stash of them somewhere in the house.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:57 PM

504 posts, read 1,024,198 times
We always keep our own grocery bags in our cars. Even at hardware store I often skip the bags and just carry merchandise in my hands out to the car if it's something I can carry. Since we start taking our own trash/recycling to the county recycle, I try to avoid bringing more trash home anyway (including Costco cardboard boxes).

Old 04-08-2015, 02:15 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,619,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Izzy must be spinning in his grave!

edit to add: this is the old Giant I remember as a kid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg-S2Qm7N-k

That's Pick Temple singing on that vid. Giant sponsored his local kiddie show (on which I appeared when I was 7!) and he was usually present at store openings. Kids went nuts over Pick Temple.

Well, that's how Izzy ran his grocery stores back in the day!

Note: Look at the guy (or gal) running over the curb at 00:15 in the vid. I guess they didn't drive any better back then than they do now...LOL.
Oh my, that was quite the interesting video! Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:25 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,427,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
A lot of places have programs like this in place, it's really not a big deal. You can always bring your own if it's an issue. I am sure that everyone who has used those bags before, has a stash of them somewhere in the house.
I know plenty of places have laws mandating taxes/fees for plastic bags but, aside from discount grocers like Aldi, are there areas of the country where the grocery stores have decided to charge for bags of their own accord? I'm not aware of any mainstream, full service grocery stores that have done this, but maybe there are some out there.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:28 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,427,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
They charge for bags over in Montgomery County, MD. We just brought our own bags.
I seem to recall an article in the Post not too long ago about how Montgomery County had intended the bag tax to be nothing more than an incentive not to use the plastic bags (i.e., they weren't looking to bring in a lot of additional revenue). But, much to their surprise, it was bringing in a good amount of revenue - much more so than they expected.

Edit: I found the article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...712_story.html

Old 04-08-2015, 03:49 PM

1,140 posts, read 970,149 times
Is Martin's convenient to any of you? I shop there in Eldersburg MD, where (upon the two companies "merging") the Giant closed many years ago and became a Safeway. Martin's is way better despite being the same company as Giant.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:09 PM

11,360 posts, read 20,154,735 times
I think Martin's is only in MD

Old 04-08-2015, 05:47 PM

601 posts, read 438,702 times
The 5 cents for bags would not bother me. I never have more than 3-4 bags of groceries at a time.

However, I live within 3 miles of a Safeway, Giant, Harris Teeter, Shoppers, large Asian grocery store that I can't remember the name of (it isn't an H mart), Trader Joes and a number of smaller ethnic grocery stores. I have literally never gone to the Giant in my 3 years of living here, and I'm not super picky about groceries.

I frequent most of the others on occasion, and make the trek out to MOM's Organic Market in Mosaic, and another organic market in Falls Church City on occasion.

Maybe I need to check out the Giant. I'm not repelled by it or anything. Just never have had a reason to go, I guess.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:01 PM

290 posts, read 296,608 times
I have generally found Giant to be superior to Safeway since moving to the area. I've never been inside a Shoppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or