Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 07:32 PM

41 posts, read 46,260 times

Advertisements

When looking at school rankings what is your source?

https://k12.niche.com/

SchoolDigger.com - the Easy Way to Evaluate K-12 School Performance

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Are there any other sources that are better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 09:41 PM

274 posts, read 348,471 times
I normally use GreatSchools when we have moved.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:42 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,631 times
My special formula is test scores divided by number of privileged white families (Hint: Loudoun, North Fairfax, and Arlington do very well!!).

Old 04-11-2015, 06:32 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,660 times
I don't know much about schooldigger. I've looked at that website a few times and found it to be rather lacking. Greatschools is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that, I believe, receives significant amounts of funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, among other sources.

While I personally think greatschools does more harm than good, I think it is at least a somewhat reputable source for what it does. It gives you a 1 to 10 number for any given school which is basically a dumbed down percentile ranking of a school (within that state) as to how students, on average, are performing at that school compared to other students in the state, on average (typically, by reference to state performance tests, which, in Virginia, are the SOLs). Thus, a school with a "5" is somewhere around the 50th percentile statewide, meaning that roughly half of the schools in that state are performing worse, on average, than that school and roughly have of the schools are performing better, on average, than that school. And that is really all greatschools tells you - nothing more, nothing less.

If you want additional information about a particular school, I would visit the school district website or the VA Dept of Education website. I believe there are school report cards there that will give you more detailed information about a particular school.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:26 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
My special formula is test scores divided by number of privileged white families (Hint: Loudoun, North Fairfax, and Arlington do very well!!).
West Springfield is one of the top highschools in the state and is very diverse.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:03 AM

159 posts, read 278,074 times
You did not mention how old your children are. If < 3rd grade, focus on middle schools, if < 6th, focus on high schools. I hate saying this but family income (% of kids eligible for reduced/free lunch) plays a part of overall school effectiveness. I'm not a fan of the 3rd party rankings so I go straight to the source such as FCPS.edu and review demographic data.

What is important to me is the level of parental involvement at the ES level (how often do you visit the schools during school day; how often do you parent volunteer?) and MS/HS level (how involved is your child in extra-curricular activities and do you parent volunteer?). Being a member of your school's PTA is a good start but it is not the same thing.

Good luck with your search.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:49 PM

318 posts, read 367,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Hmmm, how do you get the white privileged number and what does that mean.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:45 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcyolo View Post
Hmmm, how do you get the white privileged number and what does that mean.
I think the poster was making a funny. Guess you didn't find it so....

Old 04-13-2015, 12:49 PM

318 posts, read 367,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I think the poster was making a funny. Guess you didn't find it so....
hilarious, hold on, let me put on my stupid hat, har har har har
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: