Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:38 AM

3,237 posts, read 2,317,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Why do you want people to move first and then find a job? Why would you care? How bizarre to think that everyone should do it your way especially when it's not practical or realistic for the majority of people.

""Ashburn is replete with people who moved to NoVA from Ottumwa; Saginaw; Montpelier; Kalamazoo; Walla Walla"" I've never met anyone in NOVA from any of those places. I hate to bring out my inner teacher but You use 'replete' incorrectly. It's a silly, pretentious word that is rarely appropriate. Any minute you will use 'utilize' when you could use 'use'. Maybe we need a thread on grammar usage. Rule one, use the easiest word to understand if you want to communicate effectively. 'Replete' and 'utilize' are almost never the right choice.

Just sayin'.
Forgive me, that post wasn't very nice. Please use whatever words you choose. I shouldn't be so snotty about grammar. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 05:58 AM

210 posts, read 415,352 times
The metro DC area will still be desirable because this is where the bulk of federal jobs are. They remain in high demand, and you can't get them in Charlotte, Atlanta and so forth.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:17 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,122,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I really wish people would LIVE where they WANT to live FIRST and THEN take their job situation into consideration. So much of this country is screwed up with people moving to find a job FIRST and then "making the city work for me..." No. If you don't like NoVA, then you shouldn't be moving there for a job. I learned that the hard way and instead moved to a city I liked better that also had jobs galore. NoVA should only be rolling out its red carpet for people that like NoVA---not for people who just like NoVA's jobs.
Imagine how many home owners across the country followed the advice above and are now trapped, unable to move lest they take a huge financial loss on their properties. Sure some secondary cities like Pittsburgh have made comebacks (and actually have jobs now), but much of suburban and rural America is still in the doldrums with little hope of revitalization.

Staying local is a nice sentiment, and in an eventual post-growth world, will become desirable again. But for now, internationally, people are still moving to where the opportunities are. An ambitious musician is not going to live in Pittsburgh (or NOVA) even if he/she can pay the bills. People shoot higher (and go to LA, NY, Nashville, London, etal. in this example).

BTW, you keep insisting NOVA offers nothing except jobs, this is your personal, faulty opinion. To me, NOVA makes suburban Pittsburgh (an equivalent) look like a scene from Deliverance. Who's right? It doesn't matter, both personal preferences.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:30 AM

15,409 posts, read 25,722,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I agree with the previous poster. There are still lots of people who would rather live in a townhouse or small older house closer in and have a decent commute than move far out for a bigger house and commuting hell. That won't change. In my townhouse complex there's a bunch of families who have raised their kids there. A lot of people in the next generation will do the same. This slowdown in growth in the inner counties is happening because of the govt budget cuts, not because more people decided they can deal with a 2 hour commute.
I don't dispute that. I was responding to the other poster not understanding why people would skip Fairfax and move further out. Consider the growth rates further out, I think budget cuts don't explain that.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:32 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,307,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
BTW, you keep insisting NOVA offers nothing except jobs, this is your personal, faulty opinion. To me, NOVA makes suburban Pittsburgh (an equivalent) look like a scene from Deliverance. Who's right? It doesn't matter, both personal preferences.
It's true. I've lived here my whole life, and generally most transplants I have met enjoy living here and are not suffering just to be gainfully employed. I do have a coworker who moved here from CA and I don't think liked it very much and is moving back soon, but for every person like that I've met there are 5 that moved here and like it. So yeah jobs clearly are not the ONLY thing Nova offers, for most people at least.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:56 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,064,571 times
NoVa will always have one thing, and that's enough C-D posters invested enough in our region to respond when SteelCityRising lets loose with one of his periodic diatribes against the place where he briefly lived years ago. It keeps him entertained when he gets bored and wants some attention and, face it, that's all that really matters here.

The fact that many other people move to this area for jobs or schools and decide to stay, even when they have other employment and retirement options, is of little consequence relative to that key consideration. Should a nuclear warhead hit NoVa in a decade from now, surely one or two of us would need to stay behind in the rubble - if we were lucky enough to survive - just so we could respond on cue when SCR continues to complain about spoiled 20-somethings driving luxury cars in Reston circa 2009.

Last edited by JD984; 04-22-2015 at 11:05 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 12:23 PM

872 posts, read 3,579,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAEER View Post
The metro DC area will still be desirable because this is where the bulk of federal jobs are. They remain in high demand, and you can't get them in Charlotte, Atlanta and so forth.
Life long Charlottean here. This is very true and It's why I'm moving to the region. Federal Jobs that aren't TSA agent at the airport are far and few between.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:36 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,254,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
NoVa will always have one thing, and that's enough C-D posters invested enough in our region to respond when SteelCityRising lets loose with one of his periodic diatribes against the place where he briefly lived years ago. It keeps him entertained when he gets bored and wants some attention and, face it, that's all that really matters here.

The fact that many other people move to this area for jobs or schools and decide to stay, even when they have other employment and retirement options, is of little consequence relative to that key consideration. Should a nuclear warhead hit NoVa in a decade from now, surely one or two of us would need to stay behind in the rubble - if we were lucky enough to survive - just so we could respond on cue when SCR continues to complain about spoiled 20-somethings driving luxury cars in Reston circa 2009.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:52 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,307,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't dispute that. I was responding to the other poster not understanding why people would skip Fairfax and move further out. Consider the growth rates further out, I think budget cuts don't explain that.
Maybe all the development in farther out counties is offsetting the budget cut effect there. Whereas in closer in counties most of the "development" is just someone knocking down a 50 year old house and building a new one, which doesn't really increase the population. There isn't any raw land for the type of development that's happening in Loudoun. Even when you have a massive development project in Fairfax county like Tysons or Mosaic, it usually consists of a lot of office and retail, which isn't increasing the population. Although Tysons is going to put alot of residential units online in the next 10 years. Or maybe there's less govt workers in further out counties, so they're less affected. That wouldn't surprise me, that is a pretty terrible commute to DC, where the majority of fed govt jobs are.

People definitely are still deciding to move further out for more space/cheaper housing, but I don't think it's happening any more frequently now than it has in the past, and is a major cause of the population changes, is all I'm saying.

Last edited by FCNova; 04-22-2015 at 01:02 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 03:32 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,298,771 times
Many of us live in Loudoun because it's close to work. Not all the jobs are in DC. My husband and I left Falls Church 12 years ago to be closer to work in Ashburn because we were tired of "reverse" commuting. Our company had been based in Merrifield, but then we were moved to Reston, and then on to Ashburn. It was a bonus that we were getting more house for less money, but that's not why we moved.

Sometimes certain things in NoVA drive me nuts, but all it takes is a trip to visit family where I grew up in metro Atlanta or Kansas City, and I am reminded of why I wouldn't want to live in any of those places again. My husband and I (separately) came to DC for college and we both loved the area so much that we wanted to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia