Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 04:54 PM

601 posts, read 592,543 times

Advertisements

Where is this "plenty of room" for right of way? 35+ people in Vienna will probably lose their homes over this nonsense.

While there should be more high-density development around Dunn Lorring Metro, there is a lot of development over there now, taking care of that.

Widening I-66 Could Affect up to 35 Homes | NBC4 Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 05:53 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Where is this "plenty of room" for right of way? 35+ people in Vienna will probably lose their homes over this nonsense.

While there should be more high-density development around Dunn Lorring Metro, there is a lot of development over there now, taking care of that.

Widening I-66 Could Affect up to 35 Homes | NBC4 Washington
That article is referring to 66 outside the Beltway. What has that got to do with inside the Beltway?

Old 04-22-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I guess Arlington feels it must look out for it's own interests....because the folks commuting through from their faux stone and vinyl sided palaces out in Timbuktu sure as hell won't.
I have no problem with Arlington defending its interests. The question was related to deciding things "communally". If all the decisions are for Arlington, while saying, "too bad" to everyone else, then that is not deciding things "communally".

Old 04-22-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That article is referring to 66 outside the Beltway. What has that got to do with inside the Beltway?
Nothing I guess, but I didn't know that they were planning on taking THAT much land outside of Vienna.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:11 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
I have no problem with Arlington defending its interests. The question was related to deciding things "communally". If all the decisions are for Arlington, while saying, "too bad" to everyone else, then that is not deciding things "communally".
Nor is deciding in favor of everyone outside the Beltway but ignoring the objections of those in Arlington and Falls Church.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 04-22-2015 at 06:34 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Nor is deciding in favor of everyone outside the Beltway but ignoring the objections of those in Arlington and Falls Church.
I will probably feel a slight bit of schadenfreude after 66 is widened, when people still have hellish commutes. Because that is what will happen. I'm trying to muster up a bit of sympathy, but it just is not coming to me. I avoid 66 like the plague, because it seems to have bumper-to-bumper traffic 24 hours a day in spots. Widening the road will not fix that. There are some larger issues at play here.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:36 PM

57 posts, read 90,028 times
I'm an Arlington home-owner in the Clarendon-Courthouse Civic Association and am strongly in favor of widening I-66 to 3 lanes inside the Beltway assuming the current HOV restrictions remain in place. While I walk to work every day for my commute to work, the constant congestion on I-66 inside the beltway negatively impacts my quality of life by making it impossible for me to drive to Tysons, Reston, Dulles Airport, and the Mosiac District on nights and weekends. The constant congestion also negatively impacts our County and Falls Church because there is a ton of cut-thru traffic on Broad St, Route 50, and Route 29 from vehicles bypassing I-66.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
I will probably feel a slight bit of schadenfreude after 66 is widened, when people still have hellish commutes. Because that is what will happen. I'm trying to muster up a bit of sympathy, but it just is not coming to me. I avoid 66 like the plague, because it seems to have bumper-to-bumper traffic 24 hours a day. Widening the road will not fix that. There are some larger issues at play here.
Fahrenschadenfreude! Or perhaps fahrschmerzfreude.

I sure hope it doesn't happen. I can already hear it from my backyard at night.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Exactly! I would rather see everyone put their heads together and come up with solutions that benefits everyone.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Exactly! I would rather see everyone put their heads together and come up with solutions that benefits everyone.
And we already did--back in the '70s. The solution was to build 66 but keep it to two lanes each way inside the Beltway. A reasonable compromise that has served fairly well.

So we have to remember that Arlington has already met the exurbs halfway--by relenting on the construction of I-66 and then putting up with it all these years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia