Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:51 PM

847 posts, read 3,520,291 times

Advertisements

If you think Farifax County is boring, try living in most other places in the country! There is so much to do in Fairfax County, get out there and find it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 02:04 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
You know, I keep thinking of more places. This would make a great topic for a book! Where to Go People Watching in Virginia... if you see it on bookstore shelves in about 3 months, you'll know where I got the idea...

If you really like people watching, volunteer for a community organization. Believe me, you will see all sorts of amazing people and overhear some wild conversations (especially if you volunteer for a festival).

I worked at the bake shop for the Waterford Fair last year. Now that was a great opportunity for people watching. Lots of fun, and if you volunteer for an hour or so you can get into the festival for free.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
I also like the polo matches in Middleburg, and events at Wolf Trap.
Wolf Trap is a great suggestion. People picnic on the hill before the concert--they would be a lot of fun to watch. And if you've ever been to the free Christmas Caroling event there, you know it's a good place for people watching.

A lot of newcomers have heard of the Gold Cup, but you don't have to spend $$$ to see equestrian events. There are hundreds of them--and a lot of the practice events are free. Check out the jousting--it's a hoot. You can find out about it through the local newspapers (especially the newspapers for Loudoun and the Middleburg area).

Old 01-18-2008, 02:26 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McScootch View Post
In the summer, go to the Tiki bar at Tim's Rivershore in Prince William County. An extremely eclectic mix of folks. Plus you can hang out with friends, eat crabs and be near the water.
Is that in Occoquan?

Old 01-18-2008, 02:27 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
You know, I keep thinking of more places. This would make a great topic for a book! Where to Go People Watching in Virginia... if you see it on bookstore shelves in about 3 months, you'll know where I got the idea...

If you really like people watching, volunteer for a community organization. Believe me, you will see all sorts of amazing people and overhear some wild conversations (especially if you volunteer for a festival).

I worked at the bake shop for the Waterford Fair last year. Now that was a great opportunity for people watching. Lots of fun, and if you volunteer for an hour or so you can get into the festival for free.
go for it! This would be a great book and you are definitely the person to write it

Old 01-18-2008, 04:38 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,142 times
Wow, looks like I have to leave Ashburn more often!

Old 01-20-2008, 11:41 PM

15 posts, read 60,908 times
I think the original poster got scared off

Old 01-21-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahqanaut View Post
I think the original poster got scared off
My guess is he's busy checking out all these great ideas...

Old 01-22-2008, 07:13 AM

47 posts, read 310,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Is that in Occoquan?

No, it is at the end of Cherry Hill Rd.

95 South to exit 152 (Rte 234) towards Dumfries. Left onto Route 1 (north) right onto Cherry Road (next to Wall Mart). Follow Cherry Hill to the end, accross the train tracks and there you are.

On the Occoquan you have The Oasis, which used to be Gecko's... good Tiki Bar during the day on weekend, however it turns into a club on weekend nights that is a magnet for the local enlisted guys from Fort Belvoir and Quantico... definitely a younger crowd. Also on the Occoquan is Madigan's Water Front... I know the Madigan's and they have done a great job of remodeling the old "Sea and C's" where they are now located. All three are great places for a cold drink on a hot summer weekend day!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 AM

If you want interesting people watching, check out the garden centers right now. I just came back from Merrifield Garden center and the place was hopping, even at this hour of the morning.

I was out in the back and found myself doing all kinds of people watching. People with little kids who were running in a million directions. A guy walking around taking photos for some art class. Couples debating which azalea was better. Other people picking up every single rose plant over and over. Workers unloading truckloads of flowers. Etc. Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia