Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,647 times

Advertisements

I am a 40 year old African-American, divorced, single mom with a 10 year old daughter. I moved to NoVa three years ago and currently live in Ashburn. I am finally ready to buy house but I do not wish to remain in Ashburn. It's a beautiful area but I just haven't found folks here to be very warm, it's very far from my family and friends in Maryland, and somewhat lacking in diversity.

My plan is to move to Fairfax County. I am willing to spend between 350k-400K. I am looking for a diverse neighborhood, with a friendly, close knit community feel. Good schools are a must. I'd prefer a more mature, established community with older "sticks and bricks" homes. I'd like to be in close driving distance to a variety of shops and activities and I'd like to be able to drive to back to Leesburg for work in less than 45 minutes. I'd also like access to parks and walking trails.

So far the only area I've found that seems to fit this description is Franklin Farms in Herndon. Would love to hear from anyone who actually lives or has spent time in that area, as far as pros and cons. Would also love to hear any other thoughts or suggestions of neighborhoods in Fairfax that fit what I'm looking for. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 11:01 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times
Hey J from Reston....
Do we get into trouble with modersator for posting those listings? I did it and got in trouble...did i do it wrong?

Old 05-12-2015, 04:29 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdgesq View Post
I am looking for a diverse neighborhood, with a friendly, close knit community feel. Good schools are a must. I'd prefer a more mature, established community with older "sticks and bricks" homes. I'd like to be in close driving distance to a variety of shops and activities and I'd like to be able to drive to back to Leesburg for work in less than 45 minutes. I'd also like access to parks and walking trails.

So far the only area I've found that seems to fit this description is Franklin Farms in Herndon. Would love to hear from anyone who actually lives or has spent time in that area, as far as pros and cons. Would also love to hear any other thoughts or suggestions of neighborhoods in Fairfax that fit what I'm looking for. Thank you in advance!
I live in a nearby neighborhood (of Franklin Farms). I think you will like it here and it has everything you ask for above. Good school pyramid. Neighbors are friendly and diversed. People walking dogs and jog everyday (communities here are also active on NextDoor). There are several small walking trails/bike trails around the neighborhood. Easy access to all major roads (50, 66, 28, 287, etc.), airport (not in regular flight path in good weather conditions) and shops/restaurants (Giants, Food Lions, small restaurants, Chipotle, CVS, pizza, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese pho, etc.). Any specific question please feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2015, 07:21 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Hey J from Reston....
Do we get into trouble with modersator for posting those listings? I did it and got in trouble...did i do it wrong?
You can post listing as long as it is not from a realtors site.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:13 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,194 times
Franklin Farms is super awesome. I definitely recommend it. One of the best places to raise a family in NOVA

Old 05-12-2015, 07:53 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Hey J from Reston....
Do we get into trouble with moderators for posting those listings? I did it and got in trouble...did i do it wrong?
Generic MLS listings from sources such as, for example, realtor.com and, yes, MRIS Homes are permitted. Realtor-driven sites - like the one that rhymes with Fred Lynn - are considered real estate advertising per the Terms of Service and are not permitted.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:03 PM

588 posts, read 1,438,429 times
Just to let the OP and a PP know, the development's name is Franklin Farm, not Franklin Farms.

Some of the businesses at the Franklin Farm shopping center make the name of the development plural, but that is incorrect. I grew up in Franklin Farm (when it was still a fairly new development), and know the "old timers" are sometimes sensitive about the name. I'm not sure people who live there now care, but "old timers" might.

Franklin Farm is a great neighborhood. I am guessing with your budget that you'll be looking at the townhouses, OP?

Old 05-12-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
You can post listing as long as it is not from a realtors site.
Thank you!

Old 05-12-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Generic MLS listings from sources such as, for example, realtor.com and, yes, MRIS Homes are permitted. Realtor-driven sites - like the one that rhymes with Fred Lynn - are considered real estate advertising per the Terms of Service and are not permitted.
Thank you! I am in the real estate profession. I was doing something entirely different before I moved to NoVA...once I got here I discovered the graduate degree I earned out of state did not have reciprocity w/ VA so...what now?! Real Estate! It is hard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia