Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:40 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times

Advertisements

Thanks for these additional suggestions. I'll look at each one of these places, at least online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
I would have someone stay at your home for a few days.
Thought about this, but there are complicating factors--namely, the dog can't get down the basement stairs to get to the basement (where the TV is), so a pet-sitter would either have to not watch TV or carry her up and down the stairs, as I do. She's pushing 70 lbs. and pretends to be aggressive with strangers (lots of barking), so I'm not sure she'd cooperate. Plus I'd feel obligated to install nanny-cams, and the laziness is strong with this one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 12:12 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,522 times
A couple of years ago, we called numerous kennels about boarding our 3 dogs. We are used to them having an indoor and outdoor run and play time outside that does NOT cost extra. OMG, it's like finding a needle in a haystack to find a kennel that includes an outdoor run. So many just stick the dogs in a small crate and then charge you extra to walk them!

I have personal experience with 3 kennels in the area. We've used Paws Awhile in Warrenton. They are expensive and want to nickel and dime you, the staff ehhh.... not so warm and fuzzy. It is what it is.

We used Woodlawn Kennel in Alexandria. It's a far drive from where we live. It's one of the oldest if not the oldest kennel in the area. My pug did not want to leave!

Our new go to kennel is a small family run kennel in Nokesville. They are on 20 acres with only about 8 runs. It is called Bigger the Better canine Camp, but they do take small pets. So they get more personal service. They have the indoor/outdoor area and a fenced in area to play. The wife would keep me updated via email and send photos. Her kids fell in love with my yorkies, they didn't want to let them go. =) Her daughter and my yorkie Dexter are kissing in the 2014 photos on their FB page.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Your post
Thanks! Nokesville isn't too far for a great kennel. Hopefully our pup wouldn't get rude (as in barky) with their kids. She's kind of a cranky old lady with anyone but us.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:00 PM

359 posts, read 476,760 times
I have used Four Paws Pet Resort in Fredericksburg a few times, and my little guy seems to love it. They have private rooms for the dogs to sleep in (no cages) and the dogs go outside to play during the day. For an extra fee they will even trim nails and give the dog a bath before you pick up.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
I have used Four Paws Pet Resort in Fredericksburg a few times, and my little guy seems to love it. They have private rooms for the dogs to sleep in (no cages) and the dogs go outside to play during the day. For an extra fee they will even trim nails and give the dog a bath before you pick up.
Thank you. That's pretty far down there, but the facility sounds great.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:35 PM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
Woofies in Ashburn offers services where they can board your dog at one of their houses. They also offer services in your house too but it sounds like that may not work. We have used them several times (in our house) and the dogs haven't even missed us.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:06 PM

774 posts, read 1,047,704 times
We haven't used them yet (planning on it) but Fur Get Me Not just got voted The 2015 Best Dog Day Care in the Northern Virginia. Fur-Get Me Not for Dog Daycare, Boarding, Dog Training, Dog Walking, Pet Sitting, Dog Wash

So far we've only been to their Saturday morning free puppy socials.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:28 PM

601 posts, read 592,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
We haven't used them yet (planning on it) but Fur Get Me Not just got voted The 2015 Best Dog Day Care in the Northern Virginia. Fur-Get Me Not for Dog Daycare, Boarding, Dog Training, Dog Walking, Pet Sitting, Dog Wash

So far we've only been to their Saturday morning free puppy socials.
I took my dog to them a couple of years ago when he was still a puppy. We loved the puppy socials and other training sessions that we got!! The trainers are great, and I think my dog enjoyed it a lot.

But their boarding facilities are kennel-crate-like, which is personally not good enough for my dogs. And there is little to no outdoor space for the dogs there.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 587 times
We recently started boarding our 2 (high maintenance) pups at Olde Towne Pet Resort in Dulles (right off of Rt 28) and they're pretty awesome. Pricey, but totally worth it, IMO. We usually reserve one of the private larger suites for them to share, which comes with a window that allows them to look outside...and "petcam" so we can watch them while away.

What I really like about this place is that the staff are friendly and really seem to like dogs. They let us tour the facility and they also allowed us to walk our pups into their suite and set everything up for them. Again, my dogs are high maintenance, so we had to make sure their beds and blankets were set up properly. LOL

They have a wide variety of activities for them...including an indoor pool for the swimmers, which you can see from the outside lobby.

They're also pretty flexible with pick-up drop off times...and you can reach the onsite staff 24/7. The facility is very clean and our pups always come home clean and happy...so we will continue to use them going forward.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Must_Love_Dogs View Post
We recently started boarding our 2 (high maintenance) pups at Olde Towne Pet Resort in Dulles (right off of Rt 28) and they're pretty awesome. Pricey, but totally worth it, IMO. We usually reserve one of the private larger suites for them to share, which comes with a window that allows them to look outside...and "petcam" so we can watch them while away.

What I really like about this place is that the staff are friendly and really seem to like dogs. They let us tour the facility and they also allowed us to walk our pups into their suite and set everything up for them. Again, my dogs are high maintenance, so we had to make sure their beds and blankets were set up properly. LOL

They have a wide variety of activities for them...including an indoor pool for the swimmers, which you can see from the outside lobby.

They're also pretty flexible with pick-up drop off times...and you can reach the onsite staff 24/7. The facility is very clean and our pups always come home clean and happy...so we will continue to use them going forward.
Wow, that place sounds fantastic. Makes me want to stay there myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia