Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:15 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWChris View Post
Hope no one minds me jumping in on this thread... my husband is looking at jobs in the Reston area and I'm trying to get a feel for neighborhoods/schools/etc.

We'd love to find a house with an acre or more, but also need great schools (with good gifted programs) ... any chance we can have both somewhere near Reston for under $925K?
I don't think you're going to find a parcel of land like that in Reston. Great Falls might have a good place for you. There are probably older homes with acreage that aren't too far from Reston, too. Your realtor would know.

One area I've always thought was intriguing is right on the river. It's an older neighborhood "behind" Countryside. The homes seem nice but not horribly expensive, and they have acreage and often waterfront properties. I think it's called Broadlands. It's a little hidden away, which means you have to drive a long road before getting to Algonkian Parkway--your commute to Reston would probably be 10 miles. But, if I was looking for acreage, that would be a neighborhood I'd check into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:26 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
One area I've always thought was intriguing is right on the river. It's an older neighborhood "behind" Countryside. The homes seem nice but not horribly expensive, and they have acreage and often waterfront properties. I think it's called Broadlands. It's a little hidden away, which means you have to drive a long road before getting to Algonkian Parkway--your commute to Reston would probably be 10 miles. But, if I was looking for acreage, that would be a neighborhood I'd check into.
Do any of you guys who are realtors know about this neighborhood? I'm talking about the area near Youngs Cliff Road. It's much older than the rest of Cascades/Countryside. Looks like the kind of place that might have a story--anyone know what it is?

Old 02-13-2008, 03:08 PM

27 posts, read 120,859 times
Normie, that area sounds nice, thanks for suggesting it... I'll have to do some searching and see what I can find. We're in Washington State so it's really hard for me to figure out what are the good areas from here... I've done a lot of internet research and looking at realtor.com but I think feedback from those of you who live there has been the most helpful of all. So, thanks!

Old 02-14-2008, 10:47 AM

280 posts, read 1,073,263 times
The area Normie is referring to is called Broad Run Farms.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:03 PM

109 posts, read 382,098 times
I lived in Leesburg back in 96 - 97, and I really liked that area. I commuted to East DC, so I took the Dulles Toll Road in about 50 min to 1 hour. I sold my house at a loss a 2 years later, and then I come to find out that Leesburg was named the most historic town and real estate skyrocketed. Man - wish I kept that house even though I was renting it out at a -500 a month.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:49 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
Reston isn't really an outer suburb, and it's about the same distance away from DC proper as Vienna and McLean.
Although this may depend on exactly what point in each of these locations you are talking about it, if you took the middle point of each of these communities, i don't think this is really correct, is it? Most parts of McLean are within 10 miles and perhaps a 20 minute drive to Georgetown, depending on the hour of the day, for example,

MapQuest: Driving Directions: North America

(8.8 miles, 15 mins.)

whereas Reston is a good 10 miles beyond that, for example:

Driving Directions from Reston, VA to Washington, DC

(20 miles, 30 mins.)

Further, driving to/from Reston will likely involve tolls, HOV lane restrictions, and lots of traffic on Rte. 66 and beyond, which can make the commute completely different from a commute to most parts of McLean, especially those inside the beltway. Much of McLean is reached without any of these. Vienna is in-between:

Driving Directions from Vienna, VA to Washington, DC

(14 miles, 26 mins.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia