Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 07:49 PM

588 posts, read 1,438,429 times

Advertisements

Does that $40/sq ft depend on the area in which you live? For example, is it $40/sq ft if you live in McLean OR if you live in Dumfries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 08:22 PM

274 posts, read 348,317 times
So you run comps for the particular subdivision first. Then get total sq ft of comparable and of the subject property. I use $40 as a basis to start with in all neighborhoods because you are adjusting the sales price of similar homes in the same location. Does that make sense? There are several other adjustments Realtors and/or appraisers use to come up with there final CMA or appraised value.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:07 PM

504 posts, read 1,212,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Huh. Haven't checked Zillow in a while. I just checked on my house, and my neighbor's house.

My neighbor edited the facts of his home since that last I checked maybe a year ago, and now his "zestimate" reads more than $150,000 more than my home. His basement is more finished than ours, but our homes are nearly the same. The were built by the same builder, same year, and have the same footprint. His has one more bathroom than ours, but that is the only real difference between our homes.

There is just no way that having 500 more finished square feet and a bathroom adds up to $150k, particularly in this neighborhood. I really hope that a true home appraisal wouldn't count below-grade finished square footage as the same as above grade.

His home facts say that he has 3500 square feet, but 1/3 of that is his basement. None of our basement square footage, finished or unfinished, is included in our home facts.
Unless you are selling, why would you care what some online websites say about your house? In fact, I'd rather alter the info to throw off prying eyes. My house value has just dropped $300k in value overnight, lol.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:16 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They have been off consistently by hundreds of thousands in our area.
Hundreds of thousands.
Which makes them worthless.
You could do better walking by and just guessing.
I would be curious if the real range of sales is in their Zestimate range? Because while I do not find their Zestimate to be great I do feel that a large percentage of sales fall within that Zestimate range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
Unless you are selling, why would you care what some online websites say about your house? In fact, I'd rather alter the info to throw off prying eyes. My house value has just dropped $300k in value overnight, lol.
I like to look at mine to see how values in my area are doing. So I know what my Zestimate was when I purchased my house and now I just check on it every couple of weeks to see if values in my area are going up or down. I like to know this.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:42 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
I think the biggest problem with Zillow is that they do not know if someone has finished their basement or not, so obviously they're going to be way off if you have a basement they don't know about. That has been true for both of my parents' homes.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I think the biggest problem with Zillow is that they do not know if someone has finished their basement or not, so obviously they're going to be way off if you have a basement they don't know about. That has been true for both of my parents' homes.
It is an algorithm and does not take many things into account. Zestimate and comps are a good place to start when you are thinking about selling or buying. When you get serious though you should get an agent. My agent figured out within about an hour how much my last home sold for and I think she was spot on. I had her list it for more but the offer I accepted was where she recommended we start.

Now I am sure that there will be horror stories as well but you have to shop for agents and not just grab the first one you see.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:03 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Tauzier View Post
So you run comps for the particular subdivision first. Then get total sq ft of comparable and of the subject property. I use $40 as a basis to start with in all neighborhoods because you are adjusting the sales price of similar homes in the same location. Does that make sense? There are several other adjustments Realtors and/or appraisers use to come up with there final CMA or appraised value.
Maybe you use a proper $ per sq foot based on neighborhood, which is great but a lot of appraisers unfortunately don't. I'm in a fairly large townhouse near Tysons but there are a lot of smaller ones near us. A refi I did a couple years ago they pulled 5 comps, 3 were similar size and 2 were much smaller. They used $25/sq foot to adjust for the differences, even though real estate in my area sells for ~$300/sq foot. So the adjustment for the smaller ones was like +6,500, when there's actually a price difference of like 50-60k between ours and the smaller townhouses. Needless to say it significantly hurt our appraisal value. I questioned it and my mortgage broker said it was standard practice to adjust like that, which I thought was ridiculous.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:09 AM

407 posts, read 966,408 times
I think Zillow and other sites are great for general info. Of course I don't use their numbers for anything other than estimates. No one is going to do all the homework necessary to buy a house for you unless you are paying them. Google maps got out of the game, I used to like their real estate listings the best, but as they got tired and knew they were going to get rid of it, they basically stopped updating and it became totally unreliable. I'm really surprised Google has not bought another service to integrate into their maps.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:25 AM

601 posts, read 592,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
I don't care personally, but I think that other people take "zestimates" seriously, and it is more than a little disconcerting that my neighbor's nearly identical house (and lot) has a zestimate of more than $150,000 more than my house, when that value has almost zero basis in reality. There is zero chance that my neighbor's house would sell for anything near the zestimate.

I have no plans to create a zillow account to edit our home facts now, but at some point I will.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
I don't care personally, but I think that other people take "zestimates" seriously, and it is more than a little disconcerting that my neighbor's nearly identical house (and lot) has a zestimate of more than $150,000 more than my house, when that value has almost zero basis in reality. There is zero chance that my neighbor's house would sell for anything near the zestimate.

I have no plans to create a zillow account to edit our home facts now, but at some point I will.
Why do you care so much about the neighbors? If both houses went on the market at the same time and were very similar I am sure that very few people would pay $150,000 more for a house if they did not think it was worth it.

Zillow is a good starting point but there are literally thousands of homes I would buy if I could get them for their Zestimate. Once you get to the offer stage the Zestimate is moot. If you are trying to sell and someone mentions the Zestimate unless it is in your favor your real estate agent, and probably theirs before this, is going to mention how inaccurate Zestimates are and they have no real value. You will still get the offer because I do not think that your real estate agent has to give it to you, but you do not have to accept it or even respond to it.

When you put your home on the market the best thing to do is to put it on the market for a fair value. I think studies show that homes placed on the market for the fair value sell quicker and for more money than those that are put on the market over valued. I may be wrong but I am sure someone more knowledgeable will clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia