Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 08:59 PM

2,283 posts, read 2,091,464 times

Advertisements

Prefer within Fairfax county.

American Disposal (I get service from American Disposal) wants to charge me $25 for each toilet, so I decide to find a way to dispose of the used toilets by myself.

Anyone knows?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 09:10 PM

3,557 posts, read 4,077,048 times
Have you noticed anybody that drives around the neighborhood collecting large items people leave out, like furniture, wood, etc?

Or break it into pieces and throw those in the trash.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:12 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,957,501 times
Take it to the dump yourself or turn it into a front lawn flower pot.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:17 PM

2,283 posts, read 2,091,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Have you noticed anybody that drives around the neighborhood collecting large items people leave out, like furniture, wood, etc?

Or break it into pieces and throw those in the trash.
No, never noticed it. How can I know when they will drive by? Any websites?

Old 07-23-2015, 09:22 PM

3,557 posts, read 4,077,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
No, never noticed it. How can I know when they will drive by? Any websites?
Doubt it, just usually some guy in a pickup who will pick through the trash and grab what he can sell. Your best bet would be to take directly to the dump in Lorton or Fairfax. They will charge you something, but less than $25. Or break it into small pieces and put all those in a box or sturdy bag and put out with your regular trash.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:47 PM

654 posts, read 418,867 times
I have American disposal and got rid of my toilet without any issues. I got rid of it over 2 pickups, separated the top tank and the other the bottom part.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:18 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,410,121 times
The easiest option would be to just put it out and see if the trash men take it. Just because you call the business and they want $25 doesn't mean the trash guys won't just toss it in the back when it's right in front of them.

If you take it to the I-95 dump they will probably charge you $6 which is the min charge for house trash. They are actually very nice people there just tell them you are trying to get rid of a toilet. There's a spot in the dump where you leave off old appliances so I assume it would go there.

The other option would be to smash it up into smaller pieces with a sledgehammer (if possible) and put it into the regular trash. Double bag it and I doubt the trash men will care.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:13 PM

133 posts, read 255,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
The easiest option would be to just put it out and see if the trash men take it. Just because you call the business and they want $25 doesn't mean the trash guys won't just toss it in the back when it's right in front of them.
I agree with this.

I was in Oakton the other day and saw the American Disposal truck take a bed frame, a full-sized mattress, and its accompanying box spring. The guys on the truck didn't even flinch when they saw the pile on the side of Jermantown Rd., just before Chain Bridge Rd.

I would also suggest that you split the toilet into 3 different pieces: (1) the tank top, (2) the tank (unbolt it from the bowl), and (3) the bowl.

You also have another couple of options......

1. Leave the toilet out in its entirety and hope that someone would like to pick one up from Curb-Mart.

2. I have a friend who makes use of the services of Midnight Dump, which contracts out the use of dumpsters that are behind grocery stores, restaurants, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: