U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 08:13 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,311,207 times

Advertisements

LOL! Bus delays this morning...

80: Due to traffic congestion at North Capitol & Girard St NE, buses to Fort Totten are experiencing up to 15-minute delays.

3Y, 7Y, 16Y: Due to traffic congestion on Roosevelt Bridge, buses to McPherson Sq/Convention Ctr are experiencing up to 15-minute delays.

W4: Due to traffic congestion on Benning Rd SE at East Capitol St & E St, buses are experiencing up to 20-minute delays in both directions.

D3, D4: Due to traffic congestion on K St NE at 1st St, buses are experiencing up to 15-minute delays in both directions.

F1, T14, T18: Due to traffic congestion on Bladensburg Rd btwn 38th & Baltimore, buses are experiencing up to 15-minute delays.

7Y: Due to traffic congestion at Constitution Av & 22nd St NW, buses to the Convention Center are experiencing up to 15-minute delays.

A4, W1: Buses are experiencing up to 30-minute residual delays following earlier police activity at Joilet St & Irvington St SW.

A4, W1: Buses are experiencing up to 30-minute residual delays following earlier police activity at MLK Jr Av & Darrington St SW.

The sun also rose in the east this morning. Outrage at 11:00.

----------

Once again with respect to the OP's situation, Metro is a quick, convenient, and reliable means of transportation. If you work near a downtown station such as either McPherson Square or Metro Center, using Metro to commute becomes close to a no-brainer.

Last edited by Major Barbara; 08-11-2015 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 09:43 AM

133 posts, read 184,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Once again with respect to the OP's situation, Metro is a quick, convenient, and reliable means of transportation. If you work near a downtown station such as either McPherson Square or Metro Center, using Metro to commute becomes close to a no-brainer.
100% in agreement!

My wife religiously took the Metro from Vienna to Federal Triangle for 3 years at roughly the same time every morning (~7:45am) to arrive at her work by 8:30am. That's about 700+ rides.

In all that time, she says that she can count on 1 hand the number of times she was late as a result of Metro delays.

And the same is holding true for her taking the Metro from Largo to Federal Triangle - about 80% of the time for a little over a year - for which she has only been late once.

This does not hold true for the commuter bus - that she takes about 20% of the time - because it is subject to traffic and weather delays (e.g. a$$hole drivers, accidents, snow, and rain).

One day last winter when the Feds did not declare a snow day, she reported to work an hour and a half late because of the bus. Had she driven to Largo on plowed snow routes and taken Metro, she may have been late by at most 10 minutes.

And I would also note that even if people don't work right next to a Metro stations in DC, it is not very far to walk for most.

I had the unfortunate experience of having to meet my wife in DC last Thursday night - close to the Federal Triangle - when there was the train snafu that closed the Smithsonian and Federal Triangle stations. I simply got off at Metro Center and hoofed it all of 7 minutes straight down 12th St NW.

That walk allowed me to eat French fries with dinner.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:30 AM

Alors...vive les frites! In fairness though, Metro Center and Federal Triangle are the two closest neighboring downtown stations. Then again, most stations are within reasonable walking distance of some other one, and much of all that lies between West End and Capitol Hill is also. Simply put, Metro is a great alternative for those who can take advantage of it, and most can at one level or another.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:37 AM

133 posts, read 184,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
In fairness though, Metro Center and Federal Triangle are the two closest neighboring downtown stations. Then again, most stations are within reasonable walking distance of some other one, and much of all that lies between West End and Capitol Hill is also.
You could spit from Smithsonian to L'Enfant Plaza with a good wind!

My point being is that you would think that the Metro stations are miles apart when you hear people bitc|| about a certain station that's closed. The same with escalators - get rid of some of the tonnage and walk up a flight of stairs once in awhile.

Yes, I use stairs all of the time, even when there are working escalators and elevators, and even at those stations with very steep exits. That's why I can eat French fries.

Quote:
Simply put, Metro is a great alternative for those who can take advantage of it, and most can at one level or another.
I think most of the people you see in bumper-to-bumper traffic on I-66 and I-495 could take advantage of it. They just don't know any better or think they are saving big money by driving.

There's a lot to be said about saving one's health and sanity and reducing one's stress levels by enjoying the newspaper on the ride into DC when someone else is driving.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:53 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,685,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Amazing: This morning on ArlNow, one of the "Morning Notes" blurbs is about Orange Line delays this morning:

So let me get this straight, Barb: If a news outlet does a longer story on delays, you call that sensationalism. If it simply reports the fact that delays are happening, then you think the lack of analysis makes the story a farce. And prima fascie evidence that they don't know enough to be reporting a basic fact.

OK, whatever....

I'm starting to think you work for WMATA. (I didn't even say the OP shouldn't use the train, just that he should be aware that there WILL be regular, unexplained delays and crowding.)

And no, the WJLA story was focused on the numbers--no speculation as to the causes or "cluck clucking," whatever that is.
Carlingtonian, there are two Metro train lines that serve North Arlington. If the Orange Line was completely closed, there would still being a train coming every 6 minutes. Of course you wouldnt know that cuz youre still afraid of the homeless people raping everyone in Courthouse.

That magical other line is called the Silver Line. You should google it.

I know you never are actually in Courthouse to see the homeless people raping people but when exactly is the last time you reguarly rode the train to work?

Old 08-11-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_in_beechtree View Post
I think most of the people you see in bumper-to-bumper traffic on I-66 and I-495 could take advantage of it. They just don't know any better or think they are saving big money by driving.
Yeah, I used to head home on the Orange Line about 7:30 in the evening and the bumper-to-bumper brigade was still out there for the train to whiz past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_in_beechtree View Post
There's a lot to be said about saving one's health and sanity and reducing one's stress levels by enjoying the newspaper on the ride into DC when someone else is driving.
Read the Express on the way in in the morning and do the crossword on the way out at might. It's all good. If I finished the crossword early, I could always entertain myself by remembering how much I was saving on auto insurance by not driving into the city. That's on top of the gas and parking savings of course, and with SmartBenefits, most of the Metro fare was offset also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia