U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 10:04 PM

6 posts, read 4,343 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife, 3 yr old child and me recently moved to Fairfax county from Georgia. We are renting for a year but have started looking for a home to purchase by April of next year (end of lease). I commute to Warrenton to work from Centerville. My wife is planning to go to the NVCC dental hygiene school in Springfield from next year for her associate's degree (she wants to be a DH). Our budget for buying a home is about $400-$450K with 20% DP. Looking for a 3 BD home with at least 2000 SF space. We realize that we may be able to afford only condos or townhomes.

What areas can we look to while keeping our commutes reasonable (max 1 hour each way) and in good school districts? We have been looking at places in Herndon, Ashburn (Brambleton, Broadlands area), and South Riding communities in Chantilly.

Most of the newer construction in Ashburn tends towards $500K. I don't see any homes for sale in Fairfax county within our price range. We were wondering how the commute from Ashburn to Springfield is. Is paying more for smaller or older homes worth the lesser commutes from homes in Fairfax? Also wondering if the lower prices of South Riding new communities make it worth the longer commute times to Springfield (US50 followed by 286 or I-66 East?).

Any advise is appreciated. We also are talking with a realtor but I am hoping for more crowd sourced advise to guide our decisions. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 10:07 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,540,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonylogic View Post
hello,
is paying more for smaller or older homes worth the lesser commutes from homes in fairfax?
yes

Old 08-10-2015, 04:17 AM

274 posts, read 262,558 times
Why not look in Gainesville, Haymarket, or Bristow which is part of Prince William County? That would put you closer to Warrenton and within an hour of Springfield. You can get a single family home for your budget and in good school system.

I moved her from Georgia as well, what part are you her from?

Here's an example of the 80+ listings you would have to choose from.
9821 UPPER MILL LOOP, BRISTOW, VA | MLS PW8622161 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Old 08-10-2015, 08:23 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,659,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonylogic View Post
Hello,

We were wondering how the commute from Ashburn to Springfield is. Is paying more for smaller or older homes worth the lesser commutes from homes in Fairfax? Also wondering if the lower prices of South Riding new communities make it worth the longer commute times to Springfield (US50 followed by 286 or I-66 East?).
It's just personal preference really, nobody can tell you what's better. Lots of people buy small old houses to keep their commutes as short as possible, while others go to the other extreme and move far out to get the biggest/nicest house. Some try to find a middle ground. Just depends what you value more.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:32 AM

529 posts, read 547,253 times
In some cases, paying more for smaller or older homes is due to very good schools that the home is zoned in.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:03 AM

1,287 posts, read 1,737,252 times
Given the two locations for work/school, I would not do Ashburn. You don't mention how long the school program is, but I would look into ECPI for dental programs in Manassas. You could live in Bristow or Gainesville have a good commute to Warrenton and ECPI is a short commute from either Bristow or Gainesville. Having said that, I'm not sure how many employment opportunities there are in western PW after graduation. It seems like there is a dental office in every strip shopping center to me but would be worth checking into.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:48 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,704,044 times
lol easy drive from Gainesville to Springfield. That's an EASY 1 hour commute and on a rainy/snowy Thursday will be more like 90 minutes.

I would just stay in Centreville. That's like the perfect middle point. Just the 10 miles between Gainesville and Centreville would add like 30 minutes to your wife's commute.

Ashburn is like an hour without traffic to Warrenton and Springfield. If you want to move to Ashburn or Gainesville, don't lie to yourself. You will sit in traffic 3 hours a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or