Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 06:28 AM

5 posts, read 10,365 times

Advertisements

I am a government employee working in DC and am interested in a buying in the greater Woodbridge area due to its overall affordability and recent "gentrification" movement. There have been threads made about Woodbridge from 7-8 years ago on this forum but I want to seek some recent opinions of residents there. What subdivisions are good, bad, and/or getting better. Which one do I need to absolutely avoid? I know everyone raves about Lake Ridge. But anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 06:45 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,507,858 times
I think generally your best bet is to stay west of 95 and away from Route 1. I think Dale City can be hit or miss too.

ChristinaVA knows the area well and can probably give you a better idea.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:00 AM

617 posts, read 1,351,346 times
I live in Lake Ridge currently, and have since 2006, though full disclosure, I'm moving back to the Falls Church/McLean area in two weeks.

Lake Ridge is the nicest overall area you're going to find in Eastern PW county, very family friendly, lots of amenities for your HOA fee, etc. Dale City is nice in places, not so great in others. The areas near 95 and Route 1 have pockets of new development, but I wouldn't recommend it in general.

The western part of PW county is really being built up and has many very nice locations, but you're really adding to your commute there.

I'm also a Fed, and I've been making the commute every morning for 9+ years now. There are commuter buses and slug lines, and the VRE if you feel like taking that. You won't lack for options.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:02 AM

2,251 posts, read 2,370,967 times
Western Woodbridge (Lake Ridge and certain parts of Dale City) aren't bad.

I'd avoid anything off of Route 1 and pretty much any part of Woodbridge that isn't in the Western portion.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:10 AM

5 posts, read 10,365 times
So I guess anything that starts with Marumsco is a no? Also I recently saw an attractive property in a Dale City subdivision near Neabsco Elementary school and Cloverdale Park? Anyone familiar with that area? Sketchy?

Old 08-17-2015, 07:16 AM

14 posts, read 19,023 times
I live in Woodbridge and I love it! I live in a development off of Hoadley Rd and my area is filled with young professional families. The area that I live in is very nice, clean and newly developed. It is also very family friendly which is important to me because we have small children. Stonebridge Shopping Center has tons of family friendly activities during the year.
We purchased our home in 2009 and have earned quite a bit of equity whereas other areas in Northern VA did not make out as well. It is my belief that Woodbridge is on an upswing in terms of new development and "gentrification" so this is the right time to buy before the prices increase to match those of its neighboring counties. There are some sketchy areas along Route 1 and the lower end of Dale Blvd that I avoid. I would suggest checking out the developments off of Hoadley Rd, Ridgefield RD, and Spriggs RD (Hope Hill Crossing is very popular and there is a thread about it on this board). Lake Ridge is nice if you like the feel of older homes. I am sure you will be happy you made Woodbridge your home.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Western Woodbridge (Lake Ridge and certain parts of Dale City) aren't bad.

I'd avoid anything off of Route 1 and pretty much any part of Woodbridge that isn't in the Western portion.
I got news for you, Lake Ridge and Dale City are Eastern Woodbridge, 95 is only a divider between the nicer areas and those that are a bit more transitional. With all the development out west, the line has moved a lot further.

Marumsco isn't the greatest area, OP. I don't know what your budget is, but as a general rule, find the corner of Old Bridge Road and Oakwood Drive, then follow Old Bridge west till you hit GreatBridge Road. Everything north of Old Bridge between those two roads is the greater part of Lake Ridge, is relatively safe, and has a mix of housing that will be in almost anyone's price range, from cheaper townhouses to more traditional suburbs with colonials up and down the streets.

That's not completely inclusive, there are nice neighborhoods south of Old Bridge as well, such as those off Cavalier Drive, but it's a good starting point.

The developments of Hoadly are nice as well, but you're getting further west at that point and I don't know what your tolerance is for commuting.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
I got news for you, Lake Ridge and Dale City are Eastern Woodbridge, 95 is only a divider between the nicer areas and those that are a bit more transitional. With all the development out west, the line has moved a lot further.

Marumsco isn't the greatest area, OP. I don't know what your budget is, but as a general rule, find the corner of Old Bridge Road and Oakwood Drive, then follow Old Bridge west till you hit GreatBridge Road. Everything north of Old Bridge between those two roads is the greater part of Lake Ridge, is relatively safe, and has a mix of housing that will be in almost anyone's price range, from cheaper townhouses to more traditional suburbs with colonials up and down the streets.

That's not completely inclusive, there are nice neighborhoods south of Old Bridge as well, such as those off Cavalier Drive, but it's a good starting point.

The developments of Hoadly are nice as well, but you're getting further west at that point and I don't know what your tolerance is for commuting.
What are you talking about?

Hoadly is still considered Dale City (22193) although it's further West hence why I said look into Western Woodbridge. I agree with most of what you're saying... There are nice neighborhoods outside of western Woodbridge but I don't know if I'd necessarily recommend them.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
What are you talking about?

Hoadly is still considered Dale City (22193) although it's further West hence why I said look into Western Woodbridge. I agree with most of what you're saying... There are nice neighborhoods outside of western Woodbridge but I don't know if I'd necessarily recommend them.
I read your initial post as saying the divider of Woodbridge was 95 or thereabouts. It was my fault; you were speaking of Woodbridge alone and I was referring to PW county as a whole. Got my wires crossed. I just meant that there's been so much development in the Gainesville and Nokesville areas that at this point, all of Lake Ridge, Dale City, probably everything as far as Manassas, is now eastern PW County, and I was misreading your post that the divide was the interstate.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
I read your initial post as saying the divider of Woodbridge was 95 or thereabouts. It was my fault; you were speaking of Woodbridge alone and I was referring to PW county as a whole. Got my wires crossed. I just meant that there's been so much development in the Gainesville and Nokesville areas that at this point, all of Lake Ridge, Dale City, probably everything as far as Manassas, is now eastern PW County, and I was misreading your post that the divide was the interstate.
Oh ok... Got cha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia