Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 03:56 PM

10 posts, read 20,568 times

Advertisements

Looking into moving from Fairfax, VA to one of these towns. Would love the opinions of people who know both of these towns, as well as opinions from people who have lived in/are currently living in them.

Will be moving with 2 middle school aged children, looking to rent. Woodstock's scores for MS and HS look a bit higher than Strasburg's, but frankly I don't give a damn about test scores. My kids are bright and will be fine wherever they are. I'm looking more for (relative) kindness and relative safety at the schools.

I was raised in a town of 7000, so I'm not worried about size or a lack of stores/chain restaurants, etc. I'd like to know a little bit about the flavor of the towns and the warmth of the residents. I'm looking for something a little more laid back. I know that people can be in each other's pockets a great deal in towns this size but think the pros might outweigh that con. I've driven through both, but probably got a better look at Woodstock, which seems to have some nice amenities for kids (parks, pool, etc.)

I'm also interested in the arts programs there, in and outside of the school system, possible community theatre opportunities, the drama program at the middle and high schools. Also school and local computer and technology education...

A Note: My kids do have celiac disease and must eat gluten-free, but a lot of things can be ordered and shipped these days, so I don't think it will be any greater issue than it always is. If there are any allergy parents who'd like to comment on that challenge, however, I'd be grateful to hear your opinions.

Thank you in advance to all the responders!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 04:20 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
I prefer Woodstock over Strasburg. Woodstock has a little more to offer and closer to the hospital. (Woodstock which is tied into the Winchester medical Center-Valley Health) I live close to Woodstock and we were at the WO Riley park yesterday with my grandson and this is an incredible place for kids and adults. Can't speak for the schools though.

I see more younger people in Woodstock although it's still very "old Virginia" in some regards with its citizens which is fine with me. I'm actually in Edinburg which is nothing but a dot compared to Woodstock but still very close.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:21 AM

You might also see more responses if you post this in the VIRGINIA section as this area is not in NOVA.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
You might also see more responses if you post this in the VIRGINIA section as this area is not in NOVA.
Thanks for the tip on where to post. Not sure why I didn't think of that... a this is your brain on humidity type of thing, maybe. =-)

Old 08-03-2015, 07:46 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
My husband grew up in Strasburg, and we lived in Woodstock for several years at one point. We have family that live in both Strasburg & Woodstock.

I prefer Woodstock over Strasburg because like BigFoot says, it has a little more to offer. I also found Woodstock to be more aesthetically appealing. The folks in both towns are friendly and welcoming. The schools are fine. Like most schools some kids excel and some don't (IMO, home life has a lot to do with this as well).

If you want to venture out of town, Woodstock is about 35 minutes from Harrisonburg & Winchester, Front Royal is pretty convenient as well.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:28 PM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
I spend a lot of time out that way. We spend more time in Woodstock than Strasburg but Edinburg is my favorite town in that area. They always have fun little activities and are close enough to Woodstock for shopping opportunities. This weekend is the Route 11 yard crawl (Google it- it is a hoot). Last weekend Edinburg had a car show- there were way more cars than people looking at them. And they have their Ole Town Festival in September. I don't think you can go wrong in that part of Virginia. Look into joining Bryce Resort if you or your kids ski, snowboard, golf or mountain bike.

Regarding arts, one of the towns (can't remember which one) has a first Friday where the stores stay open late.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:15 AM

Thank you all for your kind responses. mdcrim, my daughter and I are considering checking out the yard crawl - looks like great fun! I'm leaning more and more toward Woodstock, but think it would be pretty easy to job search within 15-20 minutes of town.

Anyone out there, or have kids that are, active in community theatre?

Old 08-06-2015, 03:52 PM

We were in Woodstock today and the locals talk about this "Yard Crawl" as if Satan himself came up with this event. One lady told me she will NOT be going out of her house this weekend. Supposedly it started today and I did see a few out but the weather may have kept some inside. I need to run some errands this weekend but Rt 11 will not be a route for me.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:20 AM

74 posts, read 135,742 times
I'll chime in a little. Both areas are really nice. Strasburg and Central (which is the high school in Woodstock) are rivals and there is a strong community feel around both schools. Many people in Strasburg go to Woodstock for Walmart, etc...but also go to Front Royal for the same as it is just as close. My brother has worked at the high school for several years and I don't see much difference between the two schools, both would be fine for your children. Personally, I love Strasburg and its quaint shops, quick access to 66/81 and Winchester/Front Royal.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:32 PM

Thank you, mrsp1030!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia