Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 08:57 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times

Advertisements

I would change the current Marshall HS to Tysons HS. "America's Next Great City" deserves its own high school.

Last edited by JD984; 08-25-2015 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 09:06 AM

318 posts, read 367,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Of all the names they could've chosen, it has to be one almost identical to a nearby HS?

"Where do you go to school?"
"Marshall"
"Oh cool which one?"
"Thurgood"

Do they think people around here have an extra couple of seconds to spare to explain where they go to school?? I know I don't
They will say the good or the bad marshall

Old 08-25-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Woodson was alive, active, and had significant effect over policy in Fairfax County within the last 100 years. J.E.B Stuart did not - he died before FCPS was even formed.
That should answer your question. Stuart's only known as a Confederate soldier and he was killed in his early 30s. Woodson presided over FCPS for decades and died an old man. Some will remember he presided over segregated schools and dragged his heels over desegregation. Others will remember he oversaw the construction of many new schools. Most have no idea who he was.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:40 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcyolo View Post
They will say the good or the bad marshall
I actually thought that Marshall High School was named after John Marshall, one of the early Supreme Court Chief Justices. Couldn't they just change the name to George, John and Thurgood Marshall High School and rename Stuart something else? What about Samuel Tucker? He was a local civil rights activist that fought desegregation in this area.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:34 AM

601 posts, read 592,862 times
8 Things I’d Like to See Fixed at JEB Stuart HS Before the Name Change is Tackled | james-wilkins.com

All. Of. This.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:11 PM

I think that is a great piece, but it's also a very big wish list. If the current students and community members want to change the school's name, I would do it without treating all these items as preconditions. Otherwise it looks like the bar is intentionally being set too high for the express purpose of defeating a name change.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:11 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Change the names of all schools to one denoting just their geographical location. They've been pretty much doing this for some time with new schools anyway...Westfield, South County, etc.

That way, silly political controversies can be avoided.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Change the names of all schools to one denoting just their geographical location. They've been pretty much doing this for some time with new schools anyway...Westfield, South County, etc.

That way, silly political controversies can be avoided.
That was the policy in the county before it started naming schools after Confederate generals in the late 50s and it's effectively been the policy over the last few decades, at least for the high schools. I think Robinson was probably the last high school or secondary school named for an individual.

It is easy for white guys who were the BMOCs when they were teenagers to say it's "silly" for minority and other students to care about their school's name. I've read enough posts in recent months from black students talking about how they felt attending Stuart and Lee, knowing both had fought to keep their ancestors enslaved, to conclude this should be taken seriously, and that the current names are an embarrassment to the county in 2015.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:26 AM

66 posts, read 117,883 times
I think what this petition needs is a critical mass of Hot Actress Alumni support. How does Jamie Gray Hyder feel about the issue?

Old 08-30-2015, 06:38 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
I think the naming of high schools is small potatoes and that there are bigger problems facing society; however, I do think changing these names is the decent thing to do and should be done.

White people and black people need to take each other's perspectives equally seriously. Whites should care that blacks are hurt and insulted by the flying of the confederate flag and the naming of high schools after Confederate generals--which (like the Confederate flag) came along in the face of integration, as a display of Southern defiance.

I didn't always think this way. I went to a high school (built in 1961) that had the Confederate flag as its logo (displayed in abundance) and the Rebel as its mascot. The fight song was an adaptation of a Confederate battle song with the lyrics barely changed, and even the band uniforms had little curlicues on the sleeves, lifted from Confederate uniforms. I thought all this was fine at the time. Over the years I've come to a different conclusion--and I'm glad to say, so has the local population, who finally got rid of the flag and the other baloney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia