Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 11:37 PM

595 posts, read 2,308,334 times

Advertisements

That's pretty funny #54. Last year I drove a busload of special needs students to the Giant. I was waiting for them on the perimeter of the parking lot. Several of them came out, and I pulled my bus around to the curb. Unfortunately for me, it was a group of Giant employees on a break--not the special needs students. It just looked like them. I also noticed that Giant hired a woman from the sex offender registry. That store seems to have self destructed over the last two decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 08:26 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
That's pretty funny #54. Last year I drove a busload of special needs students to the Giant. I was waiting for them on the perimeter of the parking lot. Several of them came out, and I pulled my bus around to the curb. Unfortunately for me, it was a group of Giant employees on a break--not the special needs students. It just looked like them. I also noticed that Giant hired a woman from the sex offender registry. That store seems to have self destructed over the last two decades.

Yeah, Giant has gone WAY down hill since Izzy Cohen died ('96 or so?) and it's sale to that Dutch conglomerate. It was once a local chain that was run from here by locals....now it's run by their Stop & Shop people up north.

My family had a business relationship with the Cohens years ago and I met Izzy a few times. He believed that treating his employees well was good for business. How old fashioned is that? Most businesses nowadays view their employees as a liability. Remember Circuit City fired all their experienced employees that made over a certain hourly wage? Their demise is now imminent. While there are other factors, those mass firings left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths. The bean counters will never learn!

Izzy Cohen knew you could be successful in business WITHOUT screwing the employees. I think the guy that runs Costco is another example of that.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:23 PM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Yeah, it was in Old Town Fairfax at Main St & Old Lee Hwy. It was in a totally (and beautifully) renovated space in the existing shopping center there. And they were gone in no time...a year or two.

It can be a pain to get in and out of that center, and Wegman's Fairfax did open about that time, but I heard that it was a dispute with the property owner that caused it.....musta been a heckuva dispute, because HT had to have spent a fortune building that store. Walgreen's Drugs moved into part of the space.

I like Wegman's a lot, and I read a Washington Consumer Checkbook magazine survey that ranked Weg's THE lowest priced grocery store around here on basic grocery items, not the gourmet stuff.

As an aside, in retirement, I drive a FCPS school bus for ****s and giggles and I regularly do field trips to Wegman's! Can you imagine...a field trip to a grocery store, of all places? LOL The kids (elementary) really seem to enjoy it though....they give the kids little Wegman's hats to wear on the tour. I've gone along rather than sit on the bus and it's very interesting. Wegman's is a class act and I hope they don't get so big that they become like Giant or Safeway (UGGGHH)!
Interesting about HT, I hope they have better luck at their new Fair Oaks location...

I like Wegman's too. And I can see why kids would have a ball going on a field trip there. My kids love the seafood area, especially when they have a huge (real) fish on display.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:32 PM

595 posts, read 2,308,334 times
At Tesco, you can buy your seafood dead or alive.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:18 AM

12 posts, read 108,764 times
I am not imressed with Shoppers. They have a nice selection of nonparishables, but produce is really bad. Plus I don't think the 2 Shoppers that I have been to are very clean.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
I hear the Bloom in Ashburn had to close. Too much competition from Wegman's and the new Global Foods. I haven't tried the new Global Foods yet. Has anyone been there? Is it good?

Old 02-02-2010, 12:20 PM

428 posts, read 1,115,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewlo View Post
I am not imressed with Shoppers. They have a nice selection of nonparishables, but produce is really bad. Plus I don't think the 2 Shoppers that I have been to are very clean.
I don't care for Shopper's either; however, their donuts are hands-down the best around. In our opinion, anyway. Mr. Husband and I have, um, done a lot of taste testing. A lot.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:29 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
I don't care for Shopper's either; however, their donuts are hands-down the best around. In our opinion, anyway. Mr. Husband and I have, um, done a lot of taste testing. A lot.
Always good to taste test a product thoroughly, I say!!!

Funny how every store has some product you just love. I'm not a big fan of Shopper's but sometimes I'll stop there just because they have wonderful potted plants in the spring.

I haven't tried the Global Foods yet. It's a little far for me to drive--I figure if I'm going to drive that far I might as well just go to Weggies.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:47 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
When I lived in NJ the grocery stores were much nicer - larger, bigger selection and higher quality. In my opinion, Bloom is not that great. I like Wegmans - sometimes they dont have the brand I want but if you buy the staples there you will find they are the cheapest around - as long as you stay away from their fantastic prepared foods sections.
Shop Rite is what I miss most about NJ

Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 AM

262 posts, read 582,667 times
I have to agree with Athousandlogins...I was underwhelmed with Wegmans. I attempted to go several times in the first few months it was open, and never could find a parking place. Then I went late one night and lo and behold, I found a place to park. Maybe I was expecting too much, or maybe going late isn't the optimum time to check it out. I should give it another try, but just can't get the motivation to fight the crowds. Maybe now that there is more than one Wegmans around, it itsn't as bad.

I, too, am disappointed with Giant's decline over the years. It used to be a top notch place to shop. Not any more.

I run into Blooms occasionally for random items since its on my route home from work. Its much better than Food Lion, but I don't think I could do my weekly shopping there. Wonder why there are no Food Lions in this area, but they are still in other locations.

I sure wish the Harris Teeter at Prince William Parkway and Liberia would finally open. I heard the developer of that shopping center went bankrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia