Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,393 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am going to be moving to the DC area in June for one year for two reasons: to do a graduate program at Georgetown, and complete an internship in Arlington. My internship is in the Shirlington area, and of course you know where Georgetown is. A few details about me and my plans:
-I am bringing a car with me, so I need a safe place to park
-I currently live in Boston, so I am quite comfortable with public transportation
- I like to live in a neighborhood that has bars and restaurants, so I don't have to go into DC every time I want to have a fun evening (my criteria is, can I walk to dinner?)
-I am 39 years old, so while I do want a neighborhood with some activity, I don't want to live in a "young" college-student saturated area
-I am hoping to find a studio or one bedroom for around $1200, and I would love to live anywhere but a high rise (I keep reading things online about the high-rises having rats and cockroaches)
-I would give my eye teeth to live in Georgetown, so someone needs to tell me to get over it because it is a bit over budget

From what I have read here, it sounds like the Ballston and Courthouse areas might be good for me. Do these areas have metro stops that go to Rosslyn, so I can pick up the GU bus? And are there stops in the Shirlington area (my internship is on N. Quincy St. near the Village of Shirlington/395/Shirlington Road (according to the map I have).

Any info would be helpful. Every Bostonian who ever lived in DC has a different opinion of where I should live.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 12:51 PM

69 posts, read 256,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labryinth View Post
From what I have read here, it sounds like the Ballston and Courthouse areas might be good for me. Do these areas have metro stops that go to Rosslyn, so I can pick up the GU bus?
Yes, and Ballston/Clarendon/Courthouse would be the best area for you. Plenty of transit, housing options, and restaurants within walking distance.

I don't have specifics, but I'm sure there are buses to Shirlington as well.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:41 PM

7 posts, read 19,686 times
For $1200 you can afford an efficiency in a cheap part of Alexandria or Arlington, possibly with off-street parking. You cannot afford to live in Shirlington, or along the Orange Line (Ballston, Clarendon, Courthouse, Rosslyn,) unless you up your budget to at least $1500 +parking.

For $2000 you might start looking in Georgetown. You cannot afford car insurance in Georgetown or anywhere in the District. Car insurance is more manageable in VA, but you'll have to pay your VA car tax.

Shirlington is all new construction. You'll like it.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:24 AM

69 posts, read 256,581 times
That's not true. It literally took me 5 seconds to find this listing: Great Location! 5 Minute Walk to Ballston Metro (broken link)

Old 01-30-2008, 12:22 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
Not to mention that Shirlington has some cheap, older apartments. 1200+utilities or 1300 utilities-inclusive is reasonable. Just an FYI to the OP though: The garden-style apartments are just as likely to be infested. Some places (high-rise or not) are just dumps, while others in the same price range can be quite nice.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:37 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,726 times
I don't know about rental prices, but Fairlington is nice given what you said you wanted; there are townhouses of varying sizes (mostly 1 & 2 BR units) that owners might rent out. You might also look in the Pentagon/Crystal City area. Since you have a car and there is no metro stop at GU (there are shuttles from metro stops), you might want to avoid being near a metro to pay less for a nicer place. Renting in Georgetown itself is well above your budget and there are a lot of students living there (in addition to the wealthy, on different streets).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia