U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you enjoy living in Northern Virginia?
Yes, I like it here. 30 75.00%
No, I want to get out of here. 10 25.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2015, 05:10 PM
 
2,563 posts, read 2,780,168 times
Reputation: 3479

Advertisements

I lived there for 6 years or so. In Alexandria. It was OK, but the traffic sucked. I wouldn't go back except for obscene amounts of money. Life is too short.

 
Old 09-26-2015, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,561 posts, read 10,861,310 times
Reputation: 5584
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
So you moved because you have a problem with Hispanics? You're probably one of those guys who blames Mexican immigrants for everything that goes wrong in their life.



So that's a no? ....
Reading comprehension is not so good is it? I can't sit here and say I don't have a racist bone in my body. We ALL do no matter what some say. I've worked with and trained many from Mexico. I've traveled to Mexico City to work with them. I enjoy the hell out of them and find their work ethic beyond reproach. But parts of Manassas are almost entirely made up of the Latino population and that's fine with me. Actually many spots in NOVA fit this mold. I just preferred to not try and blend in as a non speaker of Spanish. And I'm drawn to the mountains and living in them just made sense for me.

So bite me.
 
Old 09-26-2015, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,588 posts, read 33,352,298 times
Reputation: 32233
I was the biggest malcontent of NoVA as any regular here will tell you a few years ago. After moving to KY in 2010 and some major life events, biggest of which is my father dying, I decided to move back to 2012 after finishing my Bachelor's and getting a job offer at my old company. I've been back three years and I can safely say I like living here more than not. I think my current neighborhood in South Arlington fits well with me at this time, but ultimately I want to move back to Penrose or my dream neighborhood SW DC.

One thing that would make my experience here better is scoring a better job to ease the financial pressure. I've had interviews and have had issues with employers here wanting to lowball me when compared to my current salary and responsibilities.
 
Old 09-26-2015, 05:32 PM
 
288 posts, read 257,808 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I love many things about NoVa, but it's not as though I would never leave. Most people in the area find it nice and useful for part of their life but not for others. Some people really enjoy NoVa as a single person, but wouldn't raise kids here. Others love NoVa for raising kids but retire elsewhere. Others hate NoVa, but have no plans to leave because their job is area specific. It's hard to distill all those thoughts into a 2 option poll.

A more helpful question would be why do you like or dislike the area. This would varyargely person to person. Just as someone else didn't like the area because of its incredibly varied racial makeup, I value that. I value the many different faces I see at the park every day and look forward to my child being surrounded by varied cultures in school. But again, that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Many people also love it, but just plain can't deal with the traffic. It can be a huge deal breaker to be spending 2-3 hours a day in your car instead of with your family.
Thanks for replying. As far as this poll goes, I started it based on my criteria....

I appreciate your comment about the traffic, I can definitely see how that would be a deal breaker for some... Bad traffic sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Low Tune doesn't want to realize that there can be no such cut and dried poll and just wants some black and white answer? (not going to happen)
I don't?.... Have you been partaking of the vine or something? I've given my criteria, is NoVa a good place to live based on that? ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
For me, NoVa is Loudoun County. Unfortunately, it's remarkably unspectacular. You could relocate everything in LoCo to the middle of Nebraska and it'd be just the same.

To put it another way, if my job were not located here, there'd be no real reason for me to ever visit NoVa. The major export of NoVa is probably housing and federal jobs.

However, I relocated here, maybe someone who's actually from here may have something more positive on why they would live in NoVa (with the exception of having family in the area).
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I lived there for 6 years or so. In Alexandria. It was OK, but the traffic sucked. I wouldn't go back except for obscene amounts of money. Life is too short.
Makes sense... I can't do bad traffic either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Reading comprehension is not so good is it? I can't sit here and say I don't have a racist bone in my body. We ALL do no matter what some say. I've worked with and trained many from Mexico. I've traveled to Mexico City to work with them. I enjoy the hell out of them and find their work ethic beyond reproach. But parts of Manassas are almost entirely made up of the Latino population and that's fine with me. Actually many spots in NoVa fit this mold. I just preferred to not try and blend in as a non speaker of Spanish. And I'm drawn to the mountains and living in them just made sense for me.

So bite me.
My reading comprehension is just fine, thank you. You made a comment about Spanish speaking people moving to the NoVa area being a bad thing, and it being one of the reason(s) that you moved. So I feel it's logical for me to infer that you're against Mexican immigration or anything else that adds more color to the U.S.... Again, it's logical.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. In one sentence you say that you moved because there were too many Spanish speakers. Than in the following sentence you say you don't have a problem with Spanish speakers.... As you've already admitted you're a racist, and since (I'm guessing) you're European, that doesn't surprise me in the least. NoVa is better off without bigots like you....
 
Old 09-26-2015, 05:45 PM
 
7,936 posts, read 9,664,815 times
Reputation: 13970
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post

My reading comprehension is just fine, thank you. You made a comment about Spanish speaking people moving to the NoVa area being a bad thing, and it being one of the reason(s) that you moved. So I feel it's logical for me to infer that you're against Mexican immigration or anything else that adds more color to the U.S.... Again, it's logical.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. In one sentence you say that you moved because there were too many Spanish speakers. Than in the following sentence you say you don't have a problem with Spanish speakers.... As you've already admitted you're a racist, and since (I'm guessing) you're European, that doesn't surprise me in the least. NoVa is better off without bigots like you....
Whoa, whoa, whoa, NOVA forum newbie!!! I've been reading posts from Bigfoot424 since I joined this forum over five years ago. At no time has he ever posted anything that I found racist; and that includes his posts in this thread.

He likes the people who speak Spanish, but as an older-ish person, he doesn't feel he's able to learn a new language. Thus, he's be a fish out of water; and decided he didn't want that.

It would be the same thing as me saying I would prefer not to live in Paris because I don't know (nor want to learn) French. Doesn't mean I don't like French people, or have anything against them; I just might not want to live somewhere where I would struggle communicating.

Last edited by spencgr; 09-26-2015 at 07:15 PM..
 
Old 09-26-2015, 05:46 PM
 
1,692 posts, read 1,353,589 times
Reputation: 1699
I enjoy it for the most part. I feel like the people who constantly complain don't realize how insanely lucky we are to have the amenities that are completely normal to us but not normal most places in this country.

NoVA is by no means perfect -- but, and maybe this is just part of my personality, I see the good aspects much more than the bad.

Last edited by NOVA_guy; 09-26-2015 at 05:57 PM..
 
Old 09-26-2015, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,189 posts, read 2,804,037 times
Reputation: 4476
I'm originally from Woodbridge/Fairfax, although I spent my teenage years in Richmond/Tri-Cities. I'm 26, and as an adult I've lived in New York, Georgia, and now North Carolina, but I haven't lived back in Nova. So my perceptions may be flawed from the point of me not having lived here as an adult, although, I do have familiarity with Woodbridge/Dale City/Fairfax/Alexandria...

I love Northern Virginia. I actually want to move back, to Alexandria or DC specifically, but the cost of living is pretty high, and I don't quite earn enough for me to live comfortably. Please believe, I'm working on it. And maybe I'm just nostalgic because I spent part of my adolescence there, but I've been fortunate enough to tour the majority of the East Coast, and as far as suburban living with urban amenities go, it hardly gets better than the VA and MD suburbs of DC. I love the international culture, I love the fact that there is so much variety of lifestyle (dining, shopping, recreation, etc), and anything you don't have is likely in The City...

Yes, the traffic can be a bummer, and my parents have definitely shared their horror stories of traffic, but I just relocated from Metro Atlanta (Buford/Flowery Branch, off 285) this past March, and traffic there isn't a cakewalk either, so I'd adjust. Plus, I have a network of friends and associates in the area, from Fredericksburg to DC to Baltimore and several points in between. I know many people I grew up with who live and work in the region, went to Mason, etc, so I wouldn't be "starting over" from scratch were I to move to Nova....

Maybe it's just me, but I love it here and miss it...
 
Old 09-26-2015, 06:09 PM
 
Location: The South
3,901 posts, read 5,349,402 times
Reputation: 2750
Cost of living is prohibitive for retirement. Can't wait to get out especially with all the road construction, traffic etc.
 
Old 09-26-2015, 06:13 PM
 
288 posts, read 257,808 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa, NOVA forum newbie!!! I've been reading posts from Bigfoot424 since I joined this forum over five years ago. At no time has he ever posted anything that I found racist; and that includes his posts in this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Can't vote as it really didn't have what applied to me. Lived in NOVA from 73-2015 before moving to Shenandoah Valley. I liked NOVA for many years for a variety of reasons but about 5 years ago I knew I had to leave. Traffic and changing demographics. I realize this sounds a little racist but anyone who knows me this is not exactly true. I've been working with many different nationalities over the last 5 years and enjoy it but I don't speak Spanish well and this is quickly becoming the dominant language where I lived. Good people but at my age I wasn't going to take the time to learn the language. I miss the many good restaurants and amenities you don't normally think about when you're surrounded by them. Car washes, cleaners and so on.
^^^ Please read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
He likes the people who speak Spanish, but as an older-ish person, he doesn't feel he's able to learn a new language. Thus, he's be a fish out of water; and decided he didn't want that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
It would be the same thing as me saying I would prefer not to live in Paris because I don't know (nor want to learn) French. Doesn't mean I don't like French people, or have anything against them; I just might not want to live somewhere where I would struggle communicating.
No, it's nothing at all like that. The NoVa area has an 11.6% Spanish speaking population, I don't know what the percentage is of people in Paris who speak French, but I'm pretty sure it's higher than 11.6% .... By his own admission he's at least partially racist. I'm sure that it wasn't that difficult for him to find native English speakers who he could communicate with.....
 
Old 09-26-2015, 06:31 PM
 
7,936 posts, read 9,664,815 times
Reputation: 13970
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
^^^ Please read.





No, it's nothing at all like that. The NoVa area has an 11.6% Spanish speaking population, I don't know what the percentage is of people in Paris who speak French, but I'm pretty sure it's higher than 11.6% .... By his own admission he's at least partially racist. I'm sure that it wasn't that difficult for him to find native English speakers who he could communicate with.....
The entire NOVA area has an 11% Spanish speaking population. What do you think it was in Bigfoot's old neighborhood? I'm guessing you have no idea, because this is your first foray into this forum. As he retired he choose to move; and choose the mountains.....I don't find that wrong. You are reading his statements without having any real knowledge or the different NoVA areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:04 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top