U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 04:35 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,640,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Just too easy for what? This conversation? I don't think so. It would if it was a shooting of elementary school children right outside a gun shop. It certainly does not appear to be.

You are against guns. I get it; and it's fine. But you need to take the strict "anti-gun" opinions to the Politics and Other Controversies or Current Events sub-forums. This thread isn't about the merits of pro-gun versus anti-gun. This thread is about the specific situation where a gun shop moved next to a school in McLean.

Fact: Gun Shop located 3 blocks from said school.
Fact: No one protested the location of said shop; or the business at all.
Fact: Gun shop moves next door to school
Fact: Members of community get upset and protest and sign petitions.

Facts still Missing: Why the gun shop is more dangerous in this location than three blocks away? It's a simple question, and when I ask for the answer, all I get is people talking about how all guns are bad. That doesn't answer the question. The question is about proximity to the school.
The business flew largely under the radar in its prior location and is far more visible and advertising more heavily (both directly, in terms of more prominent signage, and indirectly, in terms of "free publicity" generated by locating so close to a public school) in its current location. I don't think you can draw any meaningful inferences from the prior lack of objection.

But, if you want an analogy, people might dislike having any drugs in their community, but still prefer that someone deal privately out of their home than organize an open-air drug market in the center of town that attracts more drug activity closer to where they go about their daily business or their children go to school.

By the way, I previously accepted that you could express your opinion here, and you ought to accept that TheWatchmen can post her opinion here without pointedly telling her that she needs to be posting in a different forum.

Last edited by JD984; 10-01-2015 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 05:02 PM

33,889 posts, read 42,123,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The business flew largely under the radar in its prior location and is far more visible and advertising more heavily (both directly, in terms of more prominent signage, and indirectly, in terms of "free publicity" generated by locating so close to a public school) in its current location. I don't think you can draw any meaningful inferences from the prior lack of objection.

But, if you want an analogy, people might dislike having any drugs in their community, but still prefer that someone deal privately out of their home than organize an open-air drug market in the center of town that attracts more drug activity closer to where they go about their daily business or their children go to school.

By the way, I previously accepted that you could express your opinion here, and you ought to accept that TheWatchmen can post her opinion here without pointedly telling her that she needs to be posting in a different forum.

The problem with that analogy is that one activity is a legal business while the other is not.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:11 PM

7,961 posts, read 9,710,285 times
Quote:

The topic of this thread is specifically about the relocation of of a gun store in McLean, VA. As McLean is in Northern VA, this is a very relative thread for this sub-forum. Driving this thread into a pro-guns versus anti-guns thread can be cause for a "hijacking" infraction. It is a topic that does not belong in this forum without a local aspect.

TheWatchman has every right to post her opinion on any thread in this (or any forum) here. Everyone has that right. But the opinions should stick to the topic as it relates to the forum.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Ok, so if I understand your position correctly; guns stores are ok, so long as they don't advertise with big signs?

Old 10-01-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The problem with that analogy is that one activity is a legal business while the other is not.
And the utility of the analogy is that both lead to unnecessary deaths and homicides.

Last edited by JD984; 10-01-2015 at 05:37 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
The topic of this thread is specifically about the relocation of of a gun store in McLean, VA. As McLean is in Northern VA, this is a very relative thread for this sub-forum. Driving this thread into a pro-guns versus anti-guns thread can be cause for a "hijacking" infraction. It is a topic that does not belong in this forum without a local aspect.

TheWatchman has every right to post her opinion on any thread in this (or any forum) here. Everyone has that right. But the opinions should stick to the topic as it relates to the forum.
I'm pretty sure that you aren't the moderator and, accordingly, not the person who should be evaluating posts for relevance or potential infractions.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Ok, so if I understand your position correctly; guns stores are ok, so long as they don't advertise with big signs?
My position would be that no gun stores in my town would be preferable, but that a store that moves to within 100 feet of an elementary school; announces its expanded presence with a large sign proclaiming that it is the largest firearms vendor within the Beltway; and cynically tries to cash in on the predictable media publicity that its move generates is particularly unwelcome.

It is, of course, difficult to estimate the incremental risk that a gun store with a higher profile and greater proximity to a school presents to the safety and well-being of children, but the fact that you seem to salivate for such evidence is particularly chilling in light of today's shootings in Oregon.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
and cynically tries to cash in on the predictable media publicity that its move generates is particularly unwelcome.
I would never have thought there would be a problem for this gun shop location, and that is also the opinion of many others who have posted here. So, I do think it is a stretch to say that the owner was looking for "predictable media publicity". It wasn't predicable to many, so unless you have personal knowledge of his thoughts, you can't say it was predictable to him.

Quote:
It is, of course, difficult to estimate the incremental risk that a gun store with a higher profile and greater proximity to a school presents to the safety and well-being of children, but the fact that you seem to salivate for such evidence is particularly chilling in light of today's shootings in Oregon.
Today's shootings, as horrific as they are, have nothing to do with a gun shop being located next to an elementary school. It has do to with an (obviously) mentally ill person. But your insinuation that I may want something like this to happen or like when this things happen (and, yes, that's what you were insinuating) is completely repulsive.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I would never have thought there would be a problem for this gun shop location, and that is also the opinion of many others who have posted here. So, I do think it is a stretch to say that the owner was looking for "predictable media publicity". It wasn't predicable to many, so unless you have personal knowledge of his thoughts, you can't say it was predictable to him.

Today's shootings, as horrific as they are, have nothing to do with a gun shop being located next to an elementary school. It has do to with an (obviously) mentally ill person. But your insinuation that I may want something like this to happen or like when this things happen (and, yes, that's what you were insinuating) is completely repulsive.
The owner tried to lease space in Arlington and was met by loud protests and a petition that emphasized that the location was too close to public schools. After that landlord backed out and canceled his lease, he then entered into a new lease much closer to a school than the Arlington space. He and his lawyer knew exactly what the reaction would be, even if some here claim otherwise, out of obstinance or ignorance.

Your posts are typical of the attitudes of those who enable a gun culture that results in senseless killings, and the fervor with which you spar with those who would try to reduce the volume of guns in their communities is revolting. You just happened to pick a particularly bad week to quibble over the details in an attempt to distract attention from the bigger gun problem in our society.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:46 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,855,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
And had some of these in the area been allowed to carry conceal some of these may be alive.
There were those allowed. Oregon has a licensed carry law that over powers the school's policies. But, that only means more of the unknown/untrained walking around with a gun. Need more cops, which means more money needs to be budgeted for their services to society. The answer isn't to give Leroy a gun in hopes he is able to kill John on behalf of everyone else. That's wild west stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or