U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 05:24 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,614,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
All right. Another fear mongering anti-gun you know what. And you know this for a fact that this store is doing this to only peddle firearms and free publicity?
They pick a site in McLean 100 feet from a school and follow up by proposing to open another store across the street from St. James Catholic School in Falls Church. They don't secure their premises adequately, but they get rabid pro-gun groups to make threats against Falls Church City officials if they aren't quickly granted a license. Disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 08:53 AM

617 posts, read 1,151,675 times
I know it's a few months old now, but this is the first I saw of it. Can someone explain to me how some of those missing links were even allowed in the McLean Citizens Association meeting? if it's a meeting for locals to discuss something, shouldn't you have to produce an ID showing you actually live there (say, the 22101, 22102, or 22043 zip codes) to be allowed in?

Old 12-18-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
I know it's a few months old now, but this is the first I saw of it. Can someone explain to me how some of those missing links were even allowed in the McLean Citizens Association meeting? if it's a meeting for locals to discuss something, shouldn't you have to produce an ID showing you actually live there (say, the 22101, 22102, or 22043 zip codes) to be allowed in?
I think the MCA by-laws state their meetings are open to the general public. They held one meeting at the McLean Community Center and a bunch of people, many from outside the area, showed up in open-carry mode, booing anyone who expressed concern about a firearms store within 100 feet of the elementary school. The MCA then moved the next meeting at which the topic was being discussed to the high school, since civilians can't have weapons on school property.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:14 AM

7,923 posts, read 9,634,118 times
Quote:

From their website:

Unless otherwise stated, the board meets at 7:30 p.m., at the McLean Community Center. All meetings are open to the public, and the media and other visitors are welcome.

Meeting Schedule | McLean Citizens Association

Old 12-18-2015, 09:22 AM

How welcoming of them, something they should cease immediately. I stand by the above, if you can't produce an ID showing you actually live there, you shouldn't be allowed to attend a local citizens meeting.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:27 AM

You can understand why the MCA moved discussions of NoVa Firearms to buildings where weapons are prohibited when some of the pro-gun groups (in this case the self-appointed "Virginia Citizens Defense League") use language like this in their communications:

"NOVA Firearms lawyer has written a letter to [Falls Church] City and advised them to stop interfering with the operation of NOVA Firearms, or else."

The language is deliberately vague, of course. If challenged, VCDL, NOVA Firearms and their lawyers would claim "else" means "we'll file a lawsuit," but it's also susceptible to being construed as a physical threat. That's the game these guys want to play. A large part of their identity seems to be tied up in their weapons. Opening gun stores near schools, when they could be located further away and reduce the chances of lock-downs or worse at the schools, gets them the attention they crave.

Last edited by JD984; 12-18-2015 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-18-2015, 10:25 AM

3,879 posts, read 5,332,784 times
Quote:
How welcoming of them, something they should cease immediately. I stand by the above, if you can't produce an ID showing you actually live there, you shouldn't be allowed to attend a local citizens meeting.
And how dare "those people" come into our community to shop and go to restaurants!

How do you feel about voter ID?

Old 12-18-2015, 11:51 AM

4,521 posts, read 5,212,126 times
Quote:
What about protestors who aren't even from that state? How would Al Sharpton or jesse Jackson survive? Those two shame politicians and policies when neither of them are citizens from that city or state.

ACLU often files lawsuits when nobody IN that state complains. The hypocrisy is unbelievable.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:12 PM

And I should reiterate from my OP that I'm not particularly anti-gun even though I don't like the idea of it being next to a school. But protesting at local meetings, driving cars with abortion photos, standing in a meeting with a rifle slung over your shoulder, looking like some sort of Private Pyle? Get out of here.

The owners lost any real sympathy I had for them when, in the wake of all this, they decide to open another one across the street from another school. Similar to this situation, I'm gathering they had a prior location which was further away. Once could be an unrealized potential mistake, but in the wake of the uproar, twice isn't an accident. Now my first thought is they're just trying to be as obnoxious as possible for the publicity. The owners can go destitute for all I care.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:39 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,684,045 times
They should just start militarizing the kids in Kindergarten. Bring instructors over to show them how to shoot AR-15s so that they can protect themselves in the event of the next school shooting.

I'm sure the right would think that's perfectly reasonable. Little Johnny is just a god-fearing patriotic American defending his right to bear arms! Any regulation at all is indefensible. Maybe start in preschool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or