Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 03:32 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times

Advertisements

This thread will likely get locked if we don't stay on track.

That said, I thought all the public high schools in Fairfax had rifle teams. Correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 04:16 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
This thread will likely get locked if we don't stay on track.

That said, I thought all the public high schools in Fairfax had rifle teams. Correct?
No. I believe that only five of 25 high schools in FCPS have rifle teams, and they are associated with the Potomac High School Rifle League. If that is incorrect, and more have rifle teams, it is still the case that not all do.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:43 PM

A Massachusetts man has been arrested in the recent NOVA Firearms break-in:

Police: Gun Shop Suspect Captured, Guns Recovered | Patch

Perhaps their license should be pulled until it's clear they have adequate security procedures. Some have been noting that, if a petty thief who robbed gas stations by himself could break into their premises, it's unclear what a more sophisticated crew intent on cleaning out this store could accomplish.

Last edited by JD984; 12-20-2015 at 05:08 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 05:31 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
A Massachusetts man has been arrested in the recent NOVA Firearms break-in:

Police: Gun Shop Suspect Captured, Guns Recovered | Patch

Perhaps their license should be pulled until it's clear they have adequate security procedures. Some have been noting that, if a petty thief who robbed gas stations by himself could break into their premises, it's unclear what a more sophisticated crew intent on cleaning out this store could accomplish.
The same could be said for many other businesses such as banks and convenience stores. My school has had to initiate lock-in procedures more than once in the past year for robberies of banks and convenience stores in the vicinity of where we're located.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
The same could be said for many other businesses such as banks and convenience stores. My school has had to initiate lock-in procedures more than once in the past year for robberies of banks and convenience stores in the vicinity of where we're located.
So in this case they located their gun store behind an elementary school, two doors down from a bank, and in the immediate vicinity of several convenience stores. All the more reason for the county to insist upon adequate security systems to mitigate the risk of lock-downs at the school.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:57 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
My point is that any business that is a typical target for burglars and robbers should have the same requirements that you suggest a gun shop should meet.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:02 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
So in this case they located their gun store behind an elementary school, two doors down from a bank, and in the immediate vicinity of several convenience stores. All the more reason for the county to insist upon adequate security systems to mitigate the risk of lock-downs at the school.
Oh, yeah. "Let's rob this gun store in bright daylight, stop on the front steps to load the guns, and start our crime spree from there."

Old 12-21-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
My point is that any business that is a typical target for burglars and robbers should have the same requirements that you suggest a gun shop should meet.
I'd be a bit more concerned with criminals absconding with firearms than Twizzlers or some currency.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:45 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
I'd be a bit more concerned with criminals absconding with firearms than Twizzlers or some currency.
Agreed, it is concerning. But unless they immediately used those stolen guns to shoot at the elementary school next door; I don't see how this is relevant to this particular thread.

Please explain how the theft of these guns provides for more danger than if the burglary had happened at the shop's old location.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:25 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Does the gun shop offer outdoor target practice? If yes, that would be my ONLY concern. If no, I have no issue.
Exactly. Its not like gun shops are exactly known as bastions of violence, regardless of the irrational fear that folks like Bloomberg try to instill in us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia