Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 08:37 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
Yes, you support the rights of the gun owner, to the extent that you ignore the fact that he didn't secure his premises and allowed his store to be burglarized by a petty crook who was committing a string of robberies (at gun point) of hardworking Americans along the East Coast.

So, if you have a security system and lock the doors to your house, yet someone still breaks in and steals your TV - you would consider yourself "allowing" your home to be burglarized? Hmm, victims are now "allowing" their crimes to happen? That's rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 08:52 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I was looking at the other gun shop on route 7 next to Mad Fox. So this one is 2 blocks away, and on the other side of a major street. I do think you're an extremist for spending so much energy on this topic. What exactly do you think will happen with these gun shops? I still don't understand the danger. There are many things we can do to stop this shift in gun culture and try to make it a safer world for our kids but moving the gun shops to the outskirts of town will literally have zero impact. If anything all this protest is doing is pissing off the pro gun crowd and encouraging them to buy more guns.
Calling me an extremist for spending some energy on this topic when the store is within walking distance from my house is like calling you a troll for responding yesterday to something I posted weeks ago.

It is fine for you to make broad rhetorical pronouncements about how moving the store will "literally have zero impact" but that is not how those more directly impacted than you perceive it, and it's not like you have proof, either.

The gun nuts want this battle, which is why they pick retail sites near schools. You can say that the opponents have fallen into their trap, but these nuts live to be pissed off these days. They buy (non-hunting) guns in large quantities because they are anxious and hostile, and then they get even angrier when others don't want all these guns in their communities, because they recognize others are not as fearful as they are. It is time to take them on, and Virginia is starting to make some small steps in the right direction.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:09 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
"Right direction"

Who died and made you the arbiter of right and wrong. We still have free speech and opinion in this country until the above-mentioned police state is installed.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:15 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
Quote:
It is fine for you to make broad rhetorical pronouncements about how moving the store will "literally have zero impact" but that is not how those more directly impacted than you perceive it, and it's not like you have proof, either.
The burden of proof is on you. You're the one insisting something bad will happen to the kids because a gun shop is within walking distance of a school and demanding they relocate. In any of these school shootings that have taken place, was a gun shop nearby? If most school shooting take place where there is no gun shop present, maybe the gun shops are actually deterrents. I don't think they are, I think they have zero impact on where crimes take place. But if you want to look at cause and effect to try and find proof it may actually prove you wrong.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
The burden of proof is on you. You're the one insisting something bad will happen to the kids because a gun shop is within walking distance of a school and demanding they relocate. In any of these school shootings that have taken place, was a gun shop nearby? If most school shooting take place where there is no gun shop present, maybe the gun shops are actually deterrents. I don't think they are, I think they have zero impact on where crimes take place. But if you want to look at cause and effect to try and find proof it may actually prove you wrong.

Sorry, I can't rep you again; but logical positions like this don't get logical responses. Just more fear mongering.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
You've misconstrued my comments. Your logic is as bad as your geography, apparently.

Given that the types of restrictions gun-control advocates are proposing here clearly are permissible under the Second Amendment, references to "burden of proof" are irrelevant in this context. It is only a question of whether and when Virginia allows local jurisdictions to exercise more authority over the sale of firearms, or continues to do whatever the NRA tells it to do and ties the hands of local jurisdictions whose residents and elected officials would support additional controls.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
"Right direction"

Who died and made you the arbiter of right and wrong. We still have free speech and opinion in this country until the above-mentioned police state is installed.
This strikes me as eminently reasonable and, perhaps, a harbinger of additional reforms down the road (including restrictions on the locations of gun stores) as the old blowhards whose votes are bought by the NRA die off.

December 22, 2015 - Herring and VSP Complete Audit and Update of Concealed Handgun Permit Recognition

Old 12-23-2015, 10:57 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
Quote:
You've misconstrued my comments. Your logic is as bad as your geography, apparently.
You know someone is done when they start throwing around insults. Have fun fighting this fight. Looks like fun

Old 12-23-2015, 01:17 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Quote:
This strikes me as eminently reasonable and, perhaps, a harbinger of additional reforms down the road (including restrictions on the locations of gun stores) as the old blowhards whose votes are bought by the NRA die off.

December 22, 2015 - Herring and VSP Complete Audit and Update of Concealed Handgun Permit Recognition

That is precisely my point -- it strikes YOU as reasonablele but you don't have the right to force your opinion on others. Others clearly do not agree and, unfortunately for you, we have a little thing called the Constitution on our side.

But, hang in there; keep voting Democrat and eventually you'll have that police state some are desiring (see above). The GOVERNMENT will tell you what to think (only certain climate theories), what to buy (electric cars), where to live (no rural living allowed), what kind of business you may have (only PC ones permitted) and where it is located.

Doesn't sound very American to me but I think you're already there.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:

I, too, think this is eminently reasonable, but what does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

This thread isn't discussing the reciprocity of states' concealed handgun permit recognition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia