U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2015, 09:21 AM
 
Location: RVA
8 posts, read 5,512 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

I can't believe this is even up for debate. This does not make the area "unsafe". Criminals are more likely than not to avoid this stores location, not gravitate to it.

I'm not sure what the rationale is to believe it will lead to some violence near a school. Reminds me of when a few wackos were freaking out about concealed carry in bar areas, they promised there would be "Wild West shootouts", which never came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2015, 10:39 AM
 
Location: D.C.
2,226 posts, read 1,853,791 times
Reputation: 3491
I admit, the gun loving culture irritates me more than any other topic of our life time. I don't see the need for anyone to have a gun beyond a basic hunting rifle, or self-defense hand gun if your surroundings are one that makes you feel safe with having one. It seems to me that we've allowed the gun culture to evolve into almost a "keeping up with the jones" of sorts. My gun is bigger than your gun. My gun fires more rounds than your gun. My gun holds more bullets than yours. My gun can kill more and faster than yours. It's just sick. I swear, the paranoia of some who think the very system that grants them the freedoms they enjoy, is out to get them like some kind of communist rule, makes me shake my head disbelief. But, it's their right to feel that way, so long as their feelings don't translate over into encroachments into the lives of others.


I understand we're never going to put this genie back in to the bottle though. Guns go with America. But, I will never accept that those handful of gun nuts out there, have the power to influence the masses into accepting the culture whereby placing a gun store next to an elementary school is socially responsible, culturally tasteful, and intelligently acceptable. It's idiotic, and it will hurt the surrounding community in other ways. Think for a minute about all of the homes in that elementary school's district. I'm a buyer moving to the area. I have small kids. I, like most parents, want to find the best place I can afford that has the best schools. Schools are very important to a home's value. I go and check out the potential new school for where my kids are zoned to attend if I buy in that community. What is that next to the school, a gun store? Thanks, but I'll pass on buying that house. This happens enough (and it will), sellers will start to lower prices to compensate. This is fact. This is how neighborhoods recycle. This gun store will result in those types of conversations for potential future buyers for that surrounding community.


Understanding we're never putting this genie back into the bottle, if it were up to me, anyone who wants their right to own anything beyond a basic hunting rifle or marginal caliber hand gun for self defense, would have to spend time in the military or civil protection agencies for a couple of years first. Proper training and mental evaluations by those who MANY a scholar have argued the Second Amendment is really written for - a society to have the right to form and arm a collective group for self (society) defense. And physically getting your hands on guns, wouldn't be a pit-stop on the daily errands run. You know, drop the kids off at school, pick up shaving cream at CVS, and a new clip for the hollow-tips in the second AR15.


The natural path for this gun store will follow it's course. All I know, is that I'd never be buying a home in that school zone if my kids had to attend that school. If for anything else, an exposure risk of such an adult topic to elementary aged children. It's not a question I want them to ask of "hey daddy, what's that store behind the playground, and why do so many people hate it?"

Might as well put a strip club across the street from the National Cathedral.


I'm done with this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,583 posts, read 10,890,459 times
Reputation: 5608
nc211---I'm done with this topic.


Good. As you are completely irrational and a little loose in the noggin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 11:14 AM
 
Location: D.C.
2,226 posts, read 1,853,791 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
nc211---I'm done with this topic.


Good. As you are completely irrational and a little loose in the noggin.


Folks, I give you Exhibit A.


I have a feeling the more people who meet you, the more they like your dog too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 11:48 AM
 
2,185 posts, read 2,656,812 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
If for anything else, an exposure risk of such an adult topic to elementary aged children.
While I COMPLETELY agree with your stance on guns, even down to the disgust for people feeling the need to own assault rifles, you lost me in the above quote. Do your kids not watch tv? If they don't more power to you, but my sons are obsessed w star wars right now. Guess what my youngest son does all the time? Pretends any inanimate object(the other day it was a banana) is a gun and chases my oldest around the house. Even if we change the laws the way you and I would like and ban assault rifles your kids will still be exposed to the idea of guns somewhere, if not now then very soon. Even not knowing your kids' age I'm confident making that statement, especially if they're in elementary school. It's better to address it head-on and make sure they understand the dangers than try to shelter them and pretend guns and gun shops don't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 12:30 PM
 
947 posts, read 673,202 times
Reputation: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I admit, the gun loving culture irritates me more than any other topic of our life time. I don't see the need for anyone to have a gun beyond a basic hunting rifle, or self-defense hand gun if your surroundings are one that makes you feel safe with having one. It seems to me that we've allowed the gun culture to evolve into almost a "keeping up with the jones" of sorts. My gun is bigger than your gun. My gun fires more rounds than your gun. My gun holds more bullets than yours. My gun can kill more and faster than yours. It's just sick. I swear, the paranoia of some who think the very system that grants them the freedoms they enjoy, is out to get them like some kind of communist rule, makes me shake my head disbelief. But, it's their right to feel that way, so long as their feelings don't translate over into encroachments into the lives of others.


I understand we're never going to put this genie back in to the bottle though. Guns go with America. But, I will never accept that those handful of gun nuts out there, have the power to influence the masses into accepting the culture whereby placing a gun store next to an elementary school is socially responsible, culturally tasteful, and intelligently acceptable. It's idiotic, and it will hurt the surrounding community in other ways. Think for a minute about all of the homes in that elementary school's district. I'm a buyer moving to the area. I have small kids. I, like most parents, want to find the best place I can afford that has the best schools. Schools are very important to a home's value. I go and check out the potential new school for where my kids are zoned to attend if I buy in that community. What is that next to the school, a gun store? Thanks, but I'll pass on buying that house. This happens enough (and it will), sellers will start to lower prices to compensate. This is fact. This is how neighborhoods recycle. This gun store will result in those types of conversations for potential future buyers for that surrounding community.


Understanding we're never putting this genie back into the bottle, if it were up to me, anyone who wants their right to own anything beyond a basic hunting rifle or marginal caliber hand gun for self defense, would have to spend time in the military or civil protection agencies for a couple of years first. Proper training and mental evaluations by those who MANY a scholar have argued the Second Amendment is really written for - a society to have the right to form and arm a collective group for self (society) defense. And physically getting your hands on guns, wouldn't be a pit-stop on the daily errands run. You know, drop the kids off at school, pick up shaving cream at CVS, and a new clip for the hollow-tips in the second AR15.


The natural path for this gun store will follow it's course. All I know, is that I'd never be buying a home in that school zone if my kids had to attend that school. If for anything else, an exposure risk of such an adult topic to elementary aged children. It's not a question I want them to ask of "hey daddy, what's that store behind the playground, and why do so many people hate it?"

Might as well put a strip club across the street from the National Cathedral.


I'm done with this topic.
To suggest that people will not move to a neighborhood and that housing prices will go down because of this store is ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as talking about AR-15s having "clips" (they don't) or saying that gun owners brag about how many people they can kill with their guns (they don't) or that "marginal caliber" bullets are less dangerous (even 22s kill people). You seem to know very little about actual guns or actual gun owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 01:19 PM
 
20,108 posts, read 11,152,482 times
Reputation: 20147
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Understanding we're never putting this genie back into the bottle, if it were up to me, anyone who wants their right to own anything beyond a basic hunting rifle or marginal caliber hand gun for self defense, would have to spend time in the military or civil protection agencies for a couple of years first. Proper training and mental evaluations by those who MANY a scholar have argued the Second Amendment is really written for - a society to have the right to form and arm a collective group for self (society) defense. And physically getting your hands on guns, wouldn't be a pit-stop on the daily errands run. You know, drop the kids off at school, pick up shaving cream at CVS, and a new clip for the hollow-tips in the second AR15.


The natural path for this gun store will follow it's course. All I know, is that I'd never be buying a home in that school zone if my kids had to attend that school. If for anything else, an exposure risk of such an adult topic to elementary aged children. It's not a question I want them to ask of "hey daddy, what's that store behind the playground, and why do so many people hate it?"

Might as well put a strip club across the street from the National Cathedral.
This would make a little bit of sense if, in fact, the store was on any natural path to or from the school.


It's not. Kids shouldn't even be in an area of the school grounds even to see the building. It's not on any natural route to or from any entrance of the school, and it would be a three-block walk to get from any entrance of the school to the gun store.


The only reason a kid from that school would know the gun store existed near their school is from hearing about it from adults protesting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 11:47 PM
 
Location: NOVA
4,521 posts, read 5,232,722 times
Reputation: 1928
If NC211 had researched the earlier posts, I highlighted a tobacco store less than 300 yards from the front door of this same school which surely is an exhibit that children shouldn't see. Hopefully no kids see any of Tarintino's films since he's the most pro-gun movie fan (can't call him a director as it affords too much accomplishment).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2015, 04:17 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,583 posts, read 10,890,459 times
Reputation: 5608
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Folks, I give you Exhibit A.


I have a feeling the more people who meet you, the more they like your dog too.


Exhibit A. LOL. You might be surprised how typical I am when it comes to gun ownership. Highly trained for many years and even still get re-certified yearly at my old PD. If I carry you will never know-unless you come up and hug me which I kind of doubt will happen now which makes me sad. I have many family members who are card carrying NRA members who have never shot up a school, church, shopping mall or whatever your mind wants to dredge up in your paranoia.


I don't care if you're opposed to the store being close to the school but I do care when you spout off your nonsense regarding an entire group of people such as gun owners. How about using your energy and spouting off at the abhorrent medical care for mentally ill patients or criminals who are put through revolving door courts and put right back on the street after committing serious crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2015, 05:39 PM
 
Location: D.C.
2,226 posts, read 1,853,791 times
Reputation: 3491
I'm sorry, I don't recall the Marlboro Man having anything to do with Sandy Hook, Columbine, VT, or any other mass shooting.

Bigfoot, you're failing to see my comments about accepting the fact that guns are a part of our culture and I accept that. There are guns in my world too, as a son of a retired Coronel, and son in law of one of North Carolina's most highly respected law enforcement officers that was heavily recruited by the FBI many years ago. They're trained. They're evaluated. They're trusted. I am sure your time in the PD granted you much the same training, evaluation and trust before they put the holster on you. If you personally want a substantial weapon - you personally have likely proven to society that you can be trusted with it. It's all of the others that don't have your background that are the problem, and that your gun-loving position is helping get their hands on these devices. They hide in your wake.

The only thing I'm "spouting" is common sense. Have your f'n guns. Fear the government. Heck, wear tinfoil hats for all I care. Just don't expect society to warmly accept your position when you put it this close to our children, like putting your f'n gun shop next door to our elementary school. You moved to the country to get away from the rat race. How'd you feel if I put a 300,000 SF retail center at the entrance of your driveway and filled it up with tenants such as all-nude strip clubs, legalized marijuana dispensaries, 24/7 fast food, discount movie theater, and a whole mix of different restaurants venting their kitchens into the air upwind from your front porch? Then I buses in customers 24 hours a day and took part of your land via eminent domain to park my idling buses on?

My son knows about guns. He'll be the first to tell you that "guns suck". He knows the difference between a water gun and a real gun. He doesn't want any toy that resembles a real gun. He got one for his birthday last year, and politely gave it back to his friend's parents who gave it to him because, and I quote a 7-year old, "I think guns are for bad people". Might be off with his total thinking, but at 7 years old, I'm thrilled he associates the two together. He'll learn more as he grows up.

To the point about the neighborhood sales. Time will prove that position to be accurate. Schools rule a neighborhood's appeal. It's residential development 101 for the detached home builder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top