Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:15 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,033,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
...the owners of NOVA Gun Shop should have chosen to locate their store in a more appropriate location out of common decency and respect for our community.

Nevertheless, while the Nova Gun Shop and the landlord may have a legal right terate this facility in this location, it is apparent that good judgment and a reasonable concern for children's safety were absent in this situation.

In the interim, I will stand alongside concerned parents, our state legislators, school officials and community leaders to continue to express loudly and clearly that this is a situation that cannot be tolerated.
So this business can and/ is legally operating legally but they shouldn't be "tolerated" nor allowed to remain open because it violates "decency"? How do ABC stores, strip joints, bars, religious buildings sustain within the county? Who is judging whether the business should remain open if its legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 07:46 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,064,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Understood. I'm not a gun owner, but I'm not anti-gun either. I mentioned I seldom see anyone openly carrying. The last time was when we lived in Prince William County. It was in a restaurant and someone actually called the police. Two officers showed up, spoke briefly to the two men who were at a table eating, and left.

So, hypothetically, how would a parent who doesn't want a child to think buying or carrying a gun is ok react if they saw someone carrying in McLean? It could happen. My hope is that they wouldn't react on the spot and would talk to the child later. When it has come up in my classroom during the civics lesson discussion of rights and responsibilities, I have let them know it is not illegal. Think about later lessons on the Constitution, American Revolution, etc.

I guess I'm not seeing how the location is poor judgment other than the reason being that some people don't like guns.
I think people can have a discussion with their children or students about gun rights and still not want a gun store operating full-time in their community, especially within 100 feet of an elementary school.

It's fine if you or other have no problem with it; for a significant number of parents in this community, it triggers a visceral, negative reaction. I would note that people in the community had no idea this space was being rented to a gun dealer who would open for business in a new location on Saturday, until either Thursday or Friday last week. Neither the landlord nor the store owner made any effort to explain how they planned to operate, or what rules and safety precautions they planned to follow. That's one reason why it seems like their real plan may just be to see how much others might be prepared to pay to buy out the gun shop's lease.

Last edited by JD984; 09-28-2015 at 08:48 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 07:53 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,194,497 times
Unless they are selling guns to kindergartners, I am not worried.

Storefronts are storefronts. I really don't think kids are going to be paying attention to this.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
What's the point? Kids aren't allowed in without adults present.
I think that's kind of a non-sequitur. The concern is not minors acquiring weapons directly from the store, but adults acquiring weapons in close proximity to an elementary school and, perhaps, some of those weapons finding their ways into the hands of minors.

Quote:
Shooting IS fun. I've done it many times--target shooting and skeet shooting. There's a real challenge to it. (Golf is for smug, weak men who think their income compensates for their inability to do more than 20 pushups.)
OK, haha. All I recall from some of your past posts is that you'd get really upset if they tried to eat and shoot, or eat and drive, or shoot and drive, at the same time.

The picture in question, however, was of a guy with a high-powered rifle in a field. Not clay pigeon stuff.

Quote:
So if they had hanged themselves, would you be pushing to ban the sale of belts and ropes near schools?
No. Belts and ropes have other, more socially beneficial uses than handguns, semi-automatics, and assault rifles.

Quote:
Whoever thinks that is comically uninformed. The pawn shop has been there since the '30s. It has brought in such shady businesses as Big Wheel Bikes, The Italian Store, and Starbucks. Not to mention some VERY expensive condos just across the street.
That misses the point. The more attractive retail in Lyon Village has developed in spite of, not because of, the presence of the pawn shop. Arlington Magazine and others in Arlington are quite fond of pointing out any time they can how bad the retail in McLean supposedly is compared to Arlington. No one with a brain thinks that having a firearms store in the heart of McLean will spur the types of retail developments residents would like to see.

Quote:
So someone who factually refutes each of these points is automatically a "gun advocate" and thus their refutations are to be dismissed? I have no guns. Never have--unless you count a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. I've never been to a protest and certainly have never joined the NRA. (Nor would I.) But I guess since I'm all for a legal business that harms no one being allowed the same rights as any other business, I'm Charlton Heston.
No, just that debates like these can go on indefinitely. There are over 1400 people who've signed a petition opposing this gun store's location in just a few days, but apparently I'm the only one posting on this particular forum. I've posted here just now in recognition of the time you spent responding to my post, but at a certain point it's clear that people disagree here and those of us who'd prefer not to have this store in this location spend our time more wisely by working with the local politicians (Foust, Murphy, Favola, Sullivan, Simon, Strauss, etc.) who want to see this store relocated than by arguing with people outside the community.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:06 PM

9,865 posts, read 14,056,825 times
Quote:
Neither the landlord nor the store owner made any advance effort to explain how they planned to operate, or what rules and safety precautions they planned to follow. That's one reason why it seems like their real plan may just be to see how much others might be prepared to pay to buy out the gun shop's lease.
Since when do retain businesses have to give the public advanced notice as to "how they plan to operate" or what "safety precautions they plan to follow"? Name one other retail business that has done this.

Seriously, the arguments against this store lack critical thought, in my opinion. Contrary to my earlier post, I just might take action to support this store. And before you start calling me a pro-gun advocate, please know that I have never owned a gun nor fired a weapon, and am actually scared of guns.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
So this business can and/ is legally operating legally but they shouldn't be "tolerated" nor allowed to remain open because it violates "decency"? How do ABC stores, strip joints, bars, religious buildings sustain within the county? Who is judging whether the business should remain open if its legal?
Just to be clear, you are quoting part of a statement made earlier today by John Foust, the Dranesville member of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors. The way you quoted it made it seem like they were my remarks.

The upshot of what he said was that he recognizes that many of his constituents are upset and unhappy and that, while the gun owner may have a legal right under current law to operate a firearms store at that location, he also finds it offensive and will see if there is a way to get the guy to move.

That's what his constituents want to hear and it's certainly far more reasonable than some of the conservative right-wingers who just ignore the laws when they don't like them.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Oakton Elementary. There is even a vacancy in the strip mall down the road. But the guy is looking for a spot inside the beltway.

I am a super liberal gun owner. Like I said, the guy is a jerk who doesn't get my business because I found him inflexible and unfriendly.
Most news reports are saying this is Franklin- Sherman elementary and not Oakton.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Since when do retain businesses have to give the public advanced notice as to "how they plan to operate" or what "safety precautions they plan to follow"? Name one other retail business that has done this.

Seriously, the arguments against this store lack critical thought, in my opinion. Contrary to my earlier post, I just might take action to support this store. And before you start calling me a pro-gun advocate, please know that I have never owned a gun nor fired a weapon, and am actually scared of guns.
They don't have to, but then they can hardly be surprised when the community reacts negatively to a gun store located 100 feet from a school. They went from having a very low profile in McLean where many people had no idea they were operating in town to occupying one of the most prominent retail locations in the center of the downtown area near an elementary school.

Support the guy any way you want to. The more support the business gets from people outside the area, the harder those who actually live in the community will work to ensure the business has a short tenure in its current location.

Last edited by JD984; 09-28-2015 at 08:45 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 08:14 PM

601 posts, read 590,523 times
Quote:
Why should they?

Surely you're not comparing lawful gun buyers to pedophiles.
Just saying that there are efforts to separate unsavory elements from children.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Just to be clear, you are quoting part of a statement made earlier today by John Foust, the Dranesville member of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors. The way you quoted it made it seem like they were my
The upshot of what he said was that he recognizes that many of his constituents are upset and unhappy and that, while the gun owner may have a legal right under current law to operate a firearms store at that location, he also finds it offensive and will see if there is a way to get the guy to move.

That's what his constituents want to hear and it's certainly far more reasonable than some of the conservative right-wingers who just ignore the laws when they don't like them.
I may have misquoted the statement as yours. If the previous location was okay and three blocks away, and this is too close, who decides the acceptable and "decency" range for this store? Discretionary decisions that affect businesses are risky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia