U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-01-2015, 05:48 AM
 
Location: D.C.
2,227 posts, read 1,858,033 times
Reputation: 3496

Advertisements

It's not the employees that are the problem...

But this is a debate similar to a circular reference in an excel spreadsheet. The sum of the equation is flawed because the equation itself is flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2015, 06:55 AM
 
187 posts, read 287,718 times
Reputation: 118
My next firearm purchase will be from this store. Appreciate the advertisement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 07:15 AM
 
Location: State of Waiting
607 posts, read 763,360 times
Reputation: 1392
Default What about an ABC store?

or a grocery store where the little ones can wander in and buy wine and beer during their lunch break from school? or cigarettes? or those stores selling Vapor inhaling things? or paint to sniff or glue to sniff? OR perish the thought, a place to buy lots of candy for that good old sugar high? clothing stores are out too - some of the clothing is pretty risqué today!

So what do you think is going to happen with a gun store? Someone is going to barge out of there with an uzi shooting? GET REAL and quit with the paranoia, parents, gun haters and total control freaks.

So I suggest that ALL STORES be banned from anywhere near an elementary school.

Period.

Just too risky.

Keep your kiddies at home with the TV, video games and the INTERNET. That should keep them safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 07:41 AM
 
601 posts, read 441,354 times
Reputation: 339
If pro-gun folks cannot comprehend the reasons why some people do not want a gun store directly adjacent to their neighborhood elementary school, I'd say they are being willfully ignorant, but that would be far too kind.

The thinly veiled snide conjectures about how people just need to be "educated" about firearms are tiring.

Guns kill people. Instantly. Violently. Victims of gun violence often die by no choice of their own. This is what many people see in guns. Fast food, cigarettes, alcohol, and pharmaceuticals are not used in that same manner.

I'm happy to report that I know many people in Northern Virginia who do not own guns, do not normalize the practice of gun ownership, and who would be appalled at a gun or any other sort of weapon store opening up adjacent to their neighborhood elementary school. This board is not an entirely accurate cross section of Northern Virginia, probably because there are so many people piping in from the far outer corners of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 07:56 AM
 
5,071 posts, read 8,642,263 times
Reputation: 2722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
And aren't you glad you live in a country where we have these rights? Have you ever been in a gun store? Any I have ever been in are run by very professional and knowledgeable employees. Many times they are former military and LE.

The market should determine whether this store makes it or not. Not a small number of people who sign a petition.
I'm happy to live in this country, although I'd probably be happy to live in many other countries and happier to live in this one if there wasn't such a pervasive gun culture and there weren't so many appalling mass murders committed in America by people with guns.

I see many posts that focus on the personal qualities of the individuals operating gun shops, but that's not the issue. It's the easy and increased access that others end up having to guns that bothers me and other community members. The bottom line is that this store will bring more firearms and more gun purchasers into a community that, for the most part, doesn't want that.

I've been in places that sold firearms before, but that's not particularly relevant. What's relevant is that McLean is like other American communities that have been touched by gun violence. People still grieve for their families, and for the families in places like Columbine and Newtown, and it shapes their views as to what they want in their communities.

Defenders of gun rights and gun stores display a libertarian streak when it comes to guns that they don't apply to other aspects of society. However, one reason why people sign a petition can be to provide an indication of their collective buying power. It mattered to the last landlord in Arlington when people told him they'd boycott the other tenants in his strip mall. It may matter to the landlord in McLean when long-time customers let him know they'll no longer take their cars to his service center. Etc.

Last edited by JD984; 10-01-2015 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 08:16 AM
 
518 posts, read 784,825 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I see many posts that focus on the personal qualities of the individuals operating gun shops, but that's not the issue. It's the easy and increased access that others end up having to guns that bothers me and other community members. The bottom line is that this store will bring more firearms and more gun purchasers into a community that, for the most part, doesn't want that.
Problem with this aspect of your argument is that the previous location was 3 blocks away in the same community. If anything, the uproar created by the public outrage at the location will bring gun-nuts to that specific location just to prove a point.

The people of the community need to work with their local government in order to enact the change necessary to get this store moved. Protests are good for getting the word out but it is a double-edged sword as the word gets out to people on both sides of the argument.

Last edited by roninsedge; 10-01-2015 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: Added more opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 08:56 AM
 
5,071 posts, read 8,642,263 times
Reputation: 2722
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
Problem with this aspect of your argument is that the previous location was 3 blocks away in the same community. If anything, the uproar created by the public outrage at the location will bring gun-nuts to that specific location just to prove a point.

The people of the community need to work with their local government in order to enact the change necessary to get this store moved. Protests are good for getting the word out but it is a double-edged sword as the word gets out to people on both sides of the argument.
I hear what you're saying, but this was set in motion when the store moved from a small building near an office park to a location adjacent to a school, with a large, exterior sign in the center of a retail area proclaiming that it's the largest firearms store inside the Beltway.

Yes, the owner and the landlord knew the location would trigger a firestorm and, yes, those opposed to the store's location are, to some extent, giving them free publicity. Without the vocal opposition, however, you would not now have so many local officials committed to finding a way to get the store relocated.

Last edited by JD984; 10-01-2015 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 09:08 AM
 
518 posts, read 784,825 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The prior location was not adjacent to a school and had no large, exterior signage in the center of a retail area proclaiming that it's the largest firearms store inside the Beltway.

Yes, the owner and the landlord surely knew the location would trigger a firestorm and, yes, those opposed to the store's location are, to some extent, playing right into their hands by giving them free publicity. Without the vocal public outrage, however, you would not have so many local officials committed to finding a way to get the store relocated. And I would expect that some of those same local officials will benefit at the polls in November.

If a bunch of gun-loving tools want to organize weekend field trips to buy guns there, that's their prerogative, but it will be local and state officials energized by their constituents who ultimately will address the complaints.
I hope you are right about the local and state officials listening to their constituents. That is what they are for and if the community is outraged then they need to act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
5,104 posts, read 5,399,275 times
Reputation: 12617
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It mattered to the last landlord in Arlington when people told him they'd boycott the other tenants in his strip mall. It may matter to the landlord in McLean when long-time customers let him know they'll no longer take their cars to his service center. Etc.
It's a sad state of affairs that folks would deliberately take business away from a locally owned, small business that has no connection to the gun shop other than they pay rent to the same guy.

For those that are strongly opposed to the location, the right thing to do is to take the issue to your elected officials and get the zoning laws changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Out in the Badlands
10,425 posts, read 8,786,596 times
Reputation: 7734
none
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top