Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 01:46 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Wrong. It's a hop over a chain-link fence to the school building, which runs along the back of the gun store's parking lot.

Maps

If you "birds eye" view the link above, it's the white building that looks like a house sitting in the middle of a parking lot that shares the boundary line with the school behind it.
If you have read through the thread, I posted the Google earth image link days ago.

So who is hopping over the chain link fence? The gun store is not on any child's normal path to the school. What do you really expect to happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 02:06 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
This whole thing just reaks of stupidity. Put a gun store next to an elementary school, then it gets robbed of it's inventory.

I know who my nominee is for this year's Darwin Award.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:49 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
I've noticed that no one has posted the names of the schools nearest their homes. When you've done so, I'll be happy to forward them to the appropriate folks and let them know that you would welcome NOVA Firearms adjacent to those schools. I know that our local county supervisor, school board member, state Senator, and House of Delegates member - all apparently "Donald Trumps of the left" - are working to help find them a new home, and they might appreciate some alternatives and the chance to get away from the NIMBYs.

Thanks!
Stenwood ES. My son goes there and a gun store opening nearby honestly wouldn't cause me one bit of concern. And I'm a very anti-gun type of person. I would feel very uncomfortable about my son going to someone's house to play where I knew the parents owned guns. But going to school near a gun store? Nope does nothing for me. What's the concern? Someone will walk out after purchasing his gun and immediately open fire?

Old 12-22-2015, 03:24 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Stenwood ES. My son goes there and a gun store opening nearby honestly wouldn't cause me one bit of concern. And I'm a very anti-gun type of person. I would feel very uncomfortable about my son going to someone's house to play where I knew the parents owned guns. But going to school near a gun store? Nope does nothing for me. What's the concern? Someone will walk out after purchasing his gun and immediately open fire?
Maybe Stenwood parents should work to relocate the store to one of those light industrial strips in Dunn Loring/Merrifield.

Meanwhile, here's the resolution of another PTA in the area opposing the store's location.

https://gunstorefreeschoolzone.wordp...-school-zones/

Last edited by JD984; 12-22-2015 at 04:42 PM..

Old 12-22-2015, 03:54 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Quote:
Maybe Stenwood parents should work to relocate the store to one of those industrial strips In Dunn Loring/Merrifield.

Meanwhile, here's the resolution of another PTA in the area opposing the store's location.

https://gunstorefreeschoolzone.wordp...-school-zones/
Industrial strips? I don't think there's any factories in my hood. You mean commercial? It's funny you say that because I'd actually be opposed to a steel or coal mill or something opening next door to Stenwood. That is something that actually could have a detrimental effect on my child's health

Old 12-22-2015, 05:22 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Industrial strips? I don't think there's any factories in my hood. You mean commercial? It's funny you say that because I'd actually be opposed to a steel or coal mill or something opening next door to Stenwood. That is something that actually could have a detrimental effect on my child's health
There has long been a light industrial presence in the Merrifield/Dunn Loring area not too far from Stenwood ES:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/com...merrifield.pdf

The light industrial areas are, of course, further from Stenwood ES than this gun store is from the elementary schools in McLean and Falls Church, which was my earlier point - some people are happy to engage in hypothetical speculation about what their own comfort level would be with a gun store near their kids' school, yet quick to dismiss the concerns of those who actually are confronted with it. If this gun store was on Gallows Road, and as close to Stenwood ES as NOVA Firearms is to Franklin Sherman or St. James Catholic School, people in Dunn Loring would be expressing their concerns every bit as loudly.

It borders on the absurd when people demand near-incontrovertible proof that having a gun store near a school might result in actual harm to school children. Exactly what do you want? A bona fide incident with dead bodies before such merchants are kept further away from a school? How about we err on the side of keeping such weapons at a further distance from the school-age kids, and give the parents of those children a bit more piece of mind? That does not strike me as the least bit unreasonable, given other things that are regulated far more heavily.

Last edited by JD984; 12-22-2015 at 06:19 PM..

Old 12-22-2015, 07:53 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
There has long been a light industrial presence in the Merrifield/Dunn Loring area not too far from Stenwood ES:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/com...merrifield.pdf

The light industrial areas are, of course, further from Stenwood ES than this gun store is from the elementary schools in McLean and Falls Church, which was my earlier point - some people are happy to engage in hypothetical speculation about what their own comfort level would be with a gun store near their kids' school, yet quick to dismiss the concerns of those who actually are confronted with it. If this gun store was on Gallows Road, and as close to Stenwood ES as NOVA Firearms is to Franklin Sherman or St. James Catholic School, people in Dunn Loring would be expressing their concerns every bit as loudly.

It borders on the absurd when people demand near-incontrovertible proof that having a gun store near a school might result in actual harm to school children. Exactly what do you want? A bona fide incident with dead bodies before such merchants are kept further away from a school? How about we err on the side of keeping such weapons at a further distance from the school-age kids, and give the parents of those children a bit more piece of mind? That does not strike me as the least bit unreasonable, given other things that are regulated far more heavily.
It's just an example of an irrational fear of inanimate...as though a gun were radioactive or something. Or magical devices that by their mere proximity caused good men to turn into Golem.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:01 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:

It borders on the absurd when people demand near-incontrovertible proof that having a gun store near a school might result in actual harm to school children.
Incontrovertible proof?? No, not at all. All I am looking for is a rational explanation why a gun store 100 feet from a school is less safe than a gun store 1000 feet from a school. Just trying to understand what those specific 900 feet represent.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:11 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If you have read through the thread, I posted the Google earth image link days ago.

So who is hopping over the chain link fence? The gun store is not on any child's normal path to the school. What do you really expect to happen?
I've read this post - hence that it reaks of stupidity.

Ignorance of stupidity is shown in worrying what a child is going to do to your precious gun store.

The dumbest f'rs are the adults. Especially those who wish to cause the most hurtful damage. Served up with a side order of fries with a gun store placed in the parking lot of an elementary school. This is a terrorists wet dream come true. And those who are too lazy and paranoid of their own countrymen who can't drive to the outskirts to buy thier guns, are to blame. The line in the sand is between those who fully respect the second amendment to fit into American culture, and those who have nothing left in their miserable existence in this country but to argue that every 1st grader should get a Glock with their box of crayons.

This is disgusting, tasteless, and is stained with the blood of every child murdered in this country. Those who support this display of selfish ignorance, need to visit Sandyhook, CT. And should take the second amendment and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:17 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
..furthermore, if I were the police chief of fairfax, va, I would guaranty my citizens that a squad car with a tag reader would be in that parking lot 24/7/365, and wouldn't hide it from the general public. You want to buy a gun from this store? Go ahead. You'll be documented up the left and down the right doing so. If you so much as fart upwind from that school, you'll be drawn upon faster than your mouth can complain about it. Lick the pavement while I send my dog through your vehicle and take my sweet time running your license. Nice Mercedes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia