U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:07 PM

298 posts, read 479,395 times

Advertisements

Husband is being relocated to N Virginia. I already have VA Professional Teaching Certificate, (English and Mild Disabilities) and I taught a year in Hampton Roads a few years ago. Presently on the West Coast, teaching.
What is the job market like/difficulty finding a position, etc. We will be in the Fort Belvoir area. Not sure where we will live yet. I have kids, upper elementary, high school, and college. We are looking at Stafford, Fredricksburg, and other areas where we can have land and horses. May rent first, though. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 09:18 PM

8,121 posts, read 12,696,220 times
Here is the current vacancy list for FCPS. I counted 27 LD positions advertised. Other districts may have similar vacancy lists posted.

Job Opportunities | Fairfax County Public Schools

Old 10-03-2015, 06:44 PM

There are no teachers here? Fair fax is a huge school system. Wondering what it's like to work for...

Old 10-03-2015, 06:51 PM

7,968 posts, read 9,727,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katfzl View Post
There are no teachers here? Fair fax is a huge school system. Wondering what it's like to work for...
If you are looking to live in Fredericksburg, you will not want to commute to Fairfax.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:55 PM

3,154 posts, read 3,067,655 times
Fairfax would be a big commute with traffic if you lived in Fredericksburg. You would be better off looking for work closer to where you live.

However, if you do work in fcps, you should not have a lot of trouble finding a job. Special ed is always in demand. Pay is good and benefits are fantastic, but working hours are long and pressure is high, at least in elementary where I worked, and double if you are in a low-income school.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:17 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,370,378 times
Even if you moved to Stafford and worked in Springfield/Lorton, which is pretty much the only part of FFX County that is a reasonable commuting distance from Stafford, the commute would still be a nightmare.

I'm not sure what your budget is but look into Woodbridge. Anywhere near Hoadly Rd or Old Bridge Rd as they are easier to commute to FFX County from since it's the Western portion of Woodbridge and connects to roads in FFX. Or try Manassas, but you will definitely not want to commute from Stafford/Fredericksburg to FFX.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katfzl View Post
I would be one. (I replied in post #2.)

While Fredericksburg was mentioned, I didn't take it that the OP was set on it.

Katzfl. How set are you on having land and horses?

Old 10-03-2015, 07:46 PM

Very set on land and horses, but we will likely rent the first year. My husband will be working at Ft Belvoir. Two of my kids are dyslexic. So a good school for them is imperative. They have both had intensive remediation with Orton-Gillingham since they were young, and do quite well now. Do the districts do a collaboration model like they did in Hampton Roads? Most districts only do resource out here in Washington. I preferred collaboration. I'm not set on any one area, especially the first year when we rent, but the goal is acreage and horses. I would prefer to live near where I work. We don't want to go over $450,000. I've thought of Fairfax, Prince William, definitely Woodbridge to rent, but concerned about schools. When we lived in Hampton Roads I lived near Langley, which had a great school system.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:19 PM

For land and horses you can rule out Fairfax and Prince William at $450k.

I'm not sure what Fairfax County does for dyslexic students. It's only been recently that dyslexia has been recognized by the district as a specific learning disability. We had a short training on it at the beginning of this school year, but I don't know of a collaboration model. By that do you mean working with providers outside of the school system?

Old 10-03-2015, 09:58 PM

I mean "co-teaching" where the special Ed teacher is in the Regular Ed classroom, and sped kids are not separated out in resource classrooms.
My girls aren't true dyslexics, as in what a Speech Pathologist would diagnose as dyslexic, but they learn the same way (speech processing disorders) and have attended private schools for kids with dyslexia. At this point I'm more interested in schools with the co-teaching model, for myself as a special Ed teacher, and my high school age daughter. She doesn't have an IEP anymore, but a 504. If the school has the collaboration model, then she can be in that classroom, which is a better fit. My 5th grader benefits from an elementary school or middle school with integrated arts, and hopefully a phonetic, explicit, direct teaching model, such as Wilson language, etc., utilized in the gen Ed classroom. She does not qualify for an IEP or 504, but is behind her peers, particularly in spelling, somewhat in math.
I have seen a lot of houses with land, fenced, barns, in Fairfax and Prince William counties for 350-450k on Redfin. I live in the Seattle area, and it is expensive here too, but houses with land can be found in the same price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or