U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 04:35 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,610,895 times

Advertisements

No time to color code this year; LCPS scores based on earlier tabulation from poster Newnewsmama. Average scores in APS are now higher than in FCPS. Although average FCPS scores were up one point over 2014, as was also true for LCPS, APS scores increased 27 points.

TJHSST 2182 (FCPS)
HB Woodlawn 1862 (APS)
Langley 1815 (FCPS)
McLean 1813 (FCPS)
Woodson 1773 (FCPS)
Yorktown 1768 (APS)
George Mason 1766 (FCCPS)
Oakton 1755 (FCPS)
Madison 1744 (FCPS)
Marshall 1713 (FCPS)
Washington-Lee 1699 (APS)
Robinson 1691 (FCPS)
Chantilly 1685 (FCPS)
West Springfield 1672 (FCPS)
South Lakes 1669 (FCPS)
Stone Bridge 1666 (LCPS)
Lake Braddock 1661 (FCPS)
Briar Woods 1640 (LCPS)
Fairfax 1640 (FCPS)
Dominion 1638 (LCPS)
Centreville 1637 (FCPS)
Westfield 1633 (FCPS)
Potomac Falls 1632 (LCPS)
Freedom 1629 (LCPS)
Herndon 1628 (FCPS)
Loudoun Valley 1622 (LCPS)
Loudoun County 1614 (LCPS)
Woodgrove 1610 (LCPS)
Broad Run 1609 (LCPS)
Tuscarora 1601 (LCPS)
Heritage 1586 (LCPS)
South County 1581 (FCPS)
West Potomac 1572 (FCPS)
John Champe 1569 (LCPS)
Edison 1523 (FCPS)
Annandale 1517 (FCPS)
Stuart 1506 (FCPS)
Hayfield 1498 (FCPS)
Falls Church 1491 (FCPS)
Wakefield 1462 (APS)
Lee 1441 (FCPS)
TC Williams 1433 (ACPS)
Park View 1420 (LCPS)
Mount Vernon 1407 (FCPS)

Last edited by JD984; 10-02-2015 at 05:42 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 07:44 PM

531 posts, read 1,204,025 times
McLean is catching up with Langley.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:47 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,524,662 times
South Lakes has left Herndon in the dust!

Old 10-03-2015, 06:15 AM

13,022 posts, read 19,833,459 times
What is the median score? Where is the line that says scores above this are good, and scores below it are bad?

Old 10-03-2015, 06:43 AM

945 posts, read 660,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What is the median score? Where is the line that says scores above this are good, and scores below it are bad?

The median score doesn't really matter. A good score is one that will get you into your college of choice. A great score is one that will get you a scholarship to that school. More and more universities are getting rid of the standardized testing requirement in favor of more holistic entry criteria.

This is interesting info. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:09 AM

601 posts, read 437,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
No time to color code this year; LCPS scores based on earlier tabulation from poster Newnewsmama. Average scores in APS are now higher than in FCPS. Although average FCPS scores were up one point over 2014, as was also true for LCPS, APS scores increased 27 points.
Arlington has 3 high schools. FCPS has (eight?) high schools that serve a high number of high-needs students.

When higher SES families who want to pay in the million+ dollar range for homes are choosing a home that comes down to the school district, they may want one with higher SAT scores, but that line of thinking simply doesn't apply to the majority of families.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
The median score doesn't really matter. A good score is one that will get you into your college of choice. A great score is one that will get you a scholarship to that school. More and more universities are getting rid of the standardized testing requirement in favor of more holistic entry criteria.

This is interesting info. Thanks for sharing.
I've heard this, and I think it is great.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Arlington has 3 high schools. FCPS has (eight?) high schools that serve a high number of high-needs students.

When higher SES families who want to pay in the million+ dollar range for homes are choosing a home that comes down to the school district, they may want one with higher SAT scores, but that line of thinking simply doesn't apply to the majority of families.
Arlington reports scores for four schools - Yorktown, W-L, Wakefield and HB Woodlawn. Woodlawn is a small, lottery-only school that encourages more independent learning. As I understand it, you don't have to "test in" to HB like at TJ, but there's some self-selection at work and the types of kids who want to go there do very well.

I'm not sure what your demographic cut-off was for saying FCPS has eight high schools that serve a large number of high-needs students. Based on last year's state data, if you use a 40% FARMS threshold, FCPS would have six (Annandale, Falls Church, Lee, Mount Vernon, Stuart, West Potomac) and APS would have one (Wakefield). If you use a 33% threshold, you pick up two more schools in FCPS (Edison and Herndon), and one more in APS (Washington-Lee). You didn't mention Loudoun, but Park View is the only high school there that exceeds either of those thresholds.

I'm also not entirely sure what you were saying about the preferences of families looking for homes in the million-plus range, but my impression - knowing the school boundaries and the trends in scores - is that the scores generally follow where people want to live (so long as the school meets a certain threshold) more than the opposite. A prime example would be Washington-Lee in Arlington, where the scores used to be middle-of-the-pack but are climbing upward as more people prefer close-in locations. So perhaps we are saying something similar. Overall, though, I do think test scores probably matter more to buyers in Fairfax than in Arlington (where people focus more on shorter commutes) or Loudoun (where there's not a big spread among the schools other than Park View).

Last edited by JD984; 10-03-2015 at 10:05 AM..

Old 10-03-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
I've heard this, and I think it is great.
I also think it's great for the right kids and the right schools. If you have a child who's interested in applying to schools that still place a significant emphasis on standardized test scores, one benefit of the current system is a certain degree of predictability that you wouldn't get with a more "holistic" approach.

Last edited by JD984; 10-03-2015 at 09:34 AM..

Old 10-03-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Arlington reports scores for four schools - Yorktown, W-L, Wakefield and HB Woodlawn. Woodlawn is a small, lottery-only school that encourages more independent learning. As I understand it, you don't have to "test in" to HB like at TJ, but there's some self-selection at work and the types of kids who want to go there do very well.

I'm not sure what your demographic cut-off was for saying FCPS has eight high schools that serve a large number of high-needs students. Based on last year's state data, if you use a 40% FARMS threshold, FCPS would have six (Annandale, Falls Church, Lee, Mount Vernon, Stuart, West Potomac) and APS would have one (Wakefield). If you use a 33% threshold, you pick up two more schools in FCPS (Edison and Herndon), and one more in APS (Washington-Lee). You didn't mention Loudoun, but Park View is the only high school there that exceeds either of those thresholds.

I'm also not entirely sure what you were saying about the preferences of families looking for homes in the million-plus range, but my impression - knowing the school boundaries and the trends in scores - is that the scores generally follow where people want to live (so long as the school meets a certain threshold) more than the opposite. A prime example would be Washington-Lee in Arlington, where the scores used to be middle-of-the-pack but are climbing upward as more people prefer close-in locations. So perhaps we are saying something similar. Overall, though, I do think test scores matter somewhat more to buyers in Fairfax than in Arlington (where people focus more on shorter commutes) or Loudoun (where there's not a big spread among the schools other than Park View).
Oh, I always forget about H-B Woodlawn.

This is just more about my personal experience, and in talking to my friends who are getting married, have young families, and are settling down into single family homes and deciding where to live for the next chapter of their lives. Most of us simply cannot or do not want to spend the money that it costs to live in Arlington, North or South, whether their SAT scores are high or not. I don't personally subscribe to the "I Need a McMansion for $400k" mentality, but I'm also not in the pack of - I'm going to spend $600k for a dump that needs to be gutted, or $1.5 million for a newly done home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia